• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski the 2020 QST99 in a 188cm yet? Seems like a very interesting ski for me, at 6’5” and 178lbs, but do wonder a bit since I’m not the strongest or quickest skier by nature, and we do ski a lot of (Very) tight terrain.

@Josh Matta , I believe you mentioned you did?

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know the Stockli wasn't in Phil's original list, but I had a chance to fondle the 2020 Stockli SR 95 yesterday and was really surprised at the changes. This is a much lighter ski than even the 2019 model (that was already lighter than previous generations). In comparing the 2020 to the 2019 side-by-side, you can see how the bottom titanal layer has been removed in the 2020 version. It now has a thinner profile and a softened flex too. Has Stockli "dumbed down" the new version too much and removed much of what we appreciated in the older generations of the ski?

At the Boone Mtn Stockli dealership, I got a fairly long explanation of the 19/20, newest version, after I told one associate I was apparently in a small minority who didn't like the older silver SR 95 with black elliptical bombs on it (16/17?) (For most folks, it was apparently fine, but not for me.)

Before I could say another word, he said he knew what I didn't like about that SR 95 ski, because he and other testers had the same experience, and had been prototyping and making suggestions for several years, including on the newest, TiTec version, explicitly to fix that problem. For him, he said, that silver/black bomb model as well as the greenish plaid versions after that, "planked out" at times, and when that happened, sometimes the tail washed out and lost grip unpredictably, for skiers like him - and he guessed for me too.

I asked if "planking" meant the same thing as "bottoming out," and he said, "exactly." I was flabbergasted. He'd taken the words out of my mouth.

The newest version solves all that, finally," he said. The new, TiTec version has been redesigned and has new construction, modeled after the current SR 88, he said, at least in part to cure the planking problem with the previous few versions.

The 19/20 SR 95 - again, according to him - has a wide, softer-flexing shovel and a relatively narrower, stiffer middle section and tail - like the SR 88 carried over from last year, he showed me. (He had me flex and eyeball both the new 88 and 95 there in his shop to see what he said seemed true.) This SR 95 also has a different construction and construction material called TiTec (which is also in the new 88 and 105). The result is that the wide, softer front end planes up in crud/powder, while the tail subtly acts a bit rudder-like (a semi-pintail design?) This gives an upward bow to the ski in powder/crud conditions that helps keep it buoyant, springy, not planky or bottoming out anymore, while at the same time remaining a good carver.

This is a ski he likes now, and that I would like to try.
Hopefully, this SR 95 is dialed in like most Stocklis.

Last edited:

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking for a comparison or what would be best 88 - 100 ski for an older intermediate skier in the wet, heavy snow of Western Washington. Mostly groomers where I might still smear some turns but have to be able to get through heavy snow and crud. I'd prefer a narrower ski from this but would be open to up to 100.

Any from this list stand out for me?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking for a comparison or what would be best 88 - 100 ski for an older intermediate skier in the wet, heavy snow of Western Washington. Mostly groomers where I might still smear some turns but have to be able to get through heavy snow and crud. I'd prefer a narrower ski from this but would be open to up to 100.

Any from this list stand out for me?
For the heavier snow, I really like both the Liberty Evolv's, they are smooth, damp yet still easy to ski.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
For the heavier snow, I really like both the Liberty Evolv's, they are smooth, damp yet still easy to ski.
Thanks. I’m a big dude who really would prefer to stay on groomers making medium to GS-size turns, as I have some old injuries that will keep me from charging too hard and also out of the moguls. Right at 6’ and 225 lbs with strong legs, crappy ankles and a bum left knee.

Any size recommendations or other skis to look at?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. I’m a big dude who really would prefer to stay on groomers making medium to GS-size turns, as I have some old injuries that will keep me from charging too hard and also out of the moguls. Right at 6’ and 225 lbs with strong legs, crappy ankles and a bum left knee.

Any size recommendations or other skis to look at?
With the Liberty's, slower to medium speeds, the 179, if you like to let them run, the 186.

Other skis? The K2 Mindbenders 90 and 99 are great, the Salomon QST 92 would be a close third.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. Binding suggestions?
Absolutely recommend them. ;)

For a big guy like you.... At least a 12-13...If you are a Salomon fan, Sth2 13 or Warden 13. Marker fan, Griffon 13, Look, Pivot 12/14 or SPX 12, Tyrolia Attack 13. All will do the job. Bindings are about confidence, go with the brand that you are most confident in. None of the above are wrong choices.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Absolutely recommend them. ;)

For a big guy like you.... At least a 12-13...If you are a Salomon fan, Sth2 13 or Warden 13. Marker fan, Griffon 13, Look, Pivot 12/14 or SPX 12, Tyrolia Attack 13. All will do the job. Bindings are about confidence, go with the brand that you are most confident in. None of the above are wrong choices.
I just go for ease of getting into and out of them. Any stand out?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Salomon STH2 13 it is. I’m of French descent and usually buy Salomon, Rossignol or Dynastar skis so I can still give some love to Salomon. :golfclap:

You will love them. I’m 6’4” 245 and they work great for me. Easy to step in to or out of when you want to, yet solidly hold me in place when I need to be. I think bindings are somewhat personal preference and before the STH2 I skied predominantly Pivot bindings. After trying these, they’re my new favorite and that’s before you factor in the Pivots are quite a bit more expensive.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got to my hotel in Rutland for a week here at Killington, and had my flat FX96HP 180 waiting for me, that I bought here in the Buy & Sell. I have some new Attack2 13 Demos to put on them.

A) they look fantastic in the grey & orange, and the build oozes quality
B) the Hollowtech v3 looks huge
C) flat, they feel quite light

Even at 180 long, I would expect the light weight and the big hollowtech to make them quite nimble. As a previous owner of FX94, FX95HP, and both BMX105 Non & HP, I look forward giving the latest versions a go.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most definitely ! I was here once in the early 1990’s with my brother and a couple pals. I only remember the monster moguls and drinking at The Wobbly Barn. My wife is now retired, so jumping on the Ikon Pass now have ski road trips on our horizons.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most definitely ! I was here once in the early 1990’s with my brother and a couple pals. I only remember the monster moguls and drinking at The Wobbly Barn. My wife is now retired, so jumping on the Ikon Pass now have ski road trips on our horizons.

I was just making a crack about the recent weather. Hope you have a great week.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be sure to tour all the ski shops including Forerunner, and Mountain Outfitters at the base of access on Rte 4, Aspen East on rte 4 also.

Sponsor

Staff online