• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ will do.
Based on a recommendation from @Brian Finch , I had my FX96HP mounted up at Northern Ski Works today -> same day service, and a very nice shop with Kastle and Stockli in their line-up, and a big Wintersteiger Mercury too. I love going into ski shops and looking around ! I’ll be sure to check out a few more shops.

I have in my car my SR97 with original Attack 13 demo, and the FX96HP with newer Attack2 AT 13 demo. The stack height increase looks significant in the real world. The newer toe is also much taller and bulkier than previous. Not sure I’m a fan of the visual bulk, may have to become a Warden Demo guy next time around. Also, the front and rear tracks of the original Attack demo are both steel. On the newer Attack2, the toe is still steel, but the heel track is plastic.

Last edited:

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops, I was mistaken above. The heel track on the older Attack 13 demo is also plastic. Also of note is that the original Attack 13 demo brake was screwed into the ski. On the new Attack2 13 demo, the brake slides onto the heel track and is secured into the heel piece via a "hinged notch".

Also, spent my very first 2.5 hours on my FX96HP 180 ( with Attack2 13 Demo ) at the Bear Mountain area of Killington today. They did not Wow me. After a few runs, I put them at +1cm and they skied much better. Even though flat, I mentioned above they felt super light in hand, but they felt a bit sluggish underfoot and turning still seemed a bit vague. They "sounded" quieter than I recall with my previous FX95HP and BMX105's , so there is some dampness to the new build. At the end of our afternoon, I went to my car and grabbed my SR97 177 for 2 last runs, and they were much easier to ski, had better turn initiation and pull through the turn, and just nimbler overall, even though their radius is larger ( 21.3 vs 18.1 ). I'll give the FX96 another good go tomorrow again.

Last edited:

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had much better ski form today on the FX96 and skied at a faster pace then yesterday. I had no complaints on the FX today and didn’t bother swapping to my SR97. Their stiffness may warrant some speed or aggression to liven up. I will still probably prefer the softer tip and fore-body of the SR97, which is easier to ski slow, and has enough top-end for how slow I ski fast ! I’ll take the FX’s to Austria in Feb as my only ski, and decide what to do with them after. Killington is supposed to get some fresh snow tomorrow so will take them out again.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Oops, I was mistaken above. The heel track on the older Attack 13 demo is also plastic. Also of note is that the original Attack 13 demo brake was screwed into the ski. On the new Attack2 13 demo, the brake slides onto the heel track and is secured into the heel piece via a "hinged notch".

Also, spent my very first 2.5 hours on my FX96HP 180 ( with Attack2 13 Demo ) at the Bear Mountain area of Killington today. They did not Wow me. After a few runs, I put them at +1cm and they skied much better. Even though flat, I mentioned above they felt super light in hand, but they felt a bit sluggish underfoot and turning still seemed a bit vague. They "sounded" quieter than I recall with my previous FX95HP and BMX105's , so there is some dampness to the new build. At the end of our afternoon, I went to my car and grabbed my SR97 177 for 2 last runs, and they were much easier to ski, had better turn initiation and pull through the turn, and just nimbler overall, even though their radius is larger ( 21.3 vs 18.1 ). I'll give the FX96 another good go tomorrow again.

Do you think the FX96 has a good tune? You might want to try tuning them. I demoed a pair last year and the tune was so bad that I could barely ski.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
With the Liberty's, slower to medium speeds, the 179, if you like to let them run, the 186.

Other skis? The K2 Mindbenders 90 and 99 are great, the Salomon QST 92 would be a close third.

Seems to be a 50/50 split on sizing the Liberty Evolv 90...seems like you confirmed that there is not a right/wrong answer between the 179 vs. 186 length? Would the statement of: 179 for frontside/groomers and 186 for all mountain be accurate?

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm really loving my Mindbender 90s after a couple outings. Really shined this weekend at Attitash with 6+ inches of fresh. They were a champ going from scrapped off to boot deep.

Sponsor