• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Is Okemo the closest mountain to Killington?

Stowe is not at all close to Smuggler's Notch. "you can't get there from here".

My preference: (not in order, depends on condition, weekend vs weekday etc)

Northern VT: Stowe, Jay Peak, Sugarbush

Central VT: Killington, Pico

Southern VT: Stratton, Mt Snow

Catskill: They all have strength and weaknesses

Northern NH: Bretton Woods, Wildcat

Again, I don't prefer one over the other. Take BW vs Wildcat: if it's a clear blue bird day, late season with tons of natural base? Wildcat, for the view, the pitch and probably better snow when the valley is warm. But in January with freezing temperature + wind chill, limited visibility because it's snowing? Bretton Woods hands down!

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is Okemo the closest mountain to Killington?

Stowe is not at all close to Smuggler's Notch. "you can't get there from here".

My preference: (not in order, depends on condition, weekend vs weekday etc)

Northern VT: Stowe, Jay Peak, Sugarbush

Central VT: Killington, Pico

Southern VT: Stratton, Mt Snow

Catskill: They all have strength and weaknesses

Northern NH: Bretton Woods, Wildcat

Again, I don't prefer one over the other. Take BW vs Wildcat: if it's a clear blue bird day, late season with tons of natural base? Wildcat, for the view, the pitch and probably better snow when the valley is warm. But in January with freezing temperature + wind chill, limited visibility because it's snowing? Bretton Woods hands down!

Keep it simple ogwink

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
This year, I have the MAX pass. So it's real simple for me: a lot of the mountains are included, and a lot of them are not.;)

And next year you won't. Sounds good!

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
This question gets very easy before Nov 15th and after April 22nd.

The rest of the year, Okemo has better blue cruisers. Killington for bumps, base depths, babes, bars, buddies, bakery, beer, back country, bands, biking.

Killington has the 10B rating.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anybody been to Sunapee? Worst place i have ever been on planks - Remind me of southern Sweden!

Mad River Glen - I love that place - really special. My first one-seater chair ever!

Wildcat: Way to many people!

Sugarbush - One of the better!

Haven't been to the others :)

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anybody been to Sunapee? Worst place i have ever been on planks - Remind me of southern Sweden!

Mad River Glen - I love that place - really special. My first one-seater chair ever!

Wildcat: Way to many people!

Sugarbush - One of the better!

Haven't been to the others :)
I have been a couple of times to Sunapee, I did not find it bad but that could be my inexperience. I did hate the way they artificially constructed their only real green run by crossing over every other run. Undermines the experience for everyone. In summer they have a nice arts fair there where, among other things, aging pop fans try to spot Steven Tyler having out with his, er um, daughter.;)

Waterville Valley has issues but is really growing on me. They just need to do more to keep lifts open. Bretton Woods lives up to its family friendly reputation except for how difficult it is to keep track of everyone.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunape is a nice little area. Nothing super steep but some fun trails and a few glades and unmarkeded trees as well when there is enough snow.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
· Killington or Okemo - Okemo. Haven't been to Kton in decades. Ikon pass may change that

· Mt Snow or Stratton - Do I have to? Stratton

· Stowe or Smugglers Notch - Stowe. Smuggs has great terrain but terrible lifts. I'm avoiding it until the lifts are replaced...so I may never ski there again ogsmile

· Sugarbush or Mad River - Sugarbush, but this is a hard one

· Catamount or Jiminy Peak - Haven't been to either

· Hunter or Windham - Haven't been to either

· Bromley or Magic - Only been to Bromley and I liked it

· Bretton Woods or Wildcat - Wildcat

· Loon or Waterville - Only been to Waterville and wasn't in love

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My preferences:

Killington > Okemo
Stratton > Mt. Snow
Sugarbush > MRG
Hunter > Windham
Bromley > Magic
Wildcat > Bretton Woods
Cannon > Loon/Waterville

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody been to Sunapee? Worst place i have ever been on planks

I've only been to Okemo, Sugarbush, and Sunapee in New England, but I thought Sunapee was just fine. Some fun runs, decent vert, decent facilities, etc. You should try coming down and skiing southern Pennsylvania and Virginia... or even North Carolina... I think it would change your perspective.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can only compare a couple of these from experience: Killington over Okemo and Hunter over Windham both by a mile because of terrain. I have been to Sugarbush, Bromley and Mt. Snow. I made it as far as the Stratton base lodge on a day my brother was supposed to compete in Jr. moguls but the place was pretty much shut down from ice and wind and the comp was cancelled. I liked Sugarbush but didn't think it was worth the extra drive past Kton(an Ikon pass makes it a bit more appealing), the others aren't worth the drive IMO. I've always wanted to check out MRG in optimal conditions but haven't had the chance.
As an aside the other places in the NE I have been and wish to return are Whiteface if the conditions are right and Sunday River if I don't have to drive.

Reactions: BC.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Reading this thread it dawned on me how many VT mountains Ive never skied- actually never skied MA or NY at all

Considering I only ski Jay & occassionally SB, its hard to choose- MRG, Stowe, Kton its been 20 years....

Wildcat is superior to BW for steeps, but BW is a sweet spot for low winds, family days, and for days where kick back cruisers are preferred

Loon vs Waterville: Loon edges out only because of Ripsaw- nothing like edging up to the drop & overlooking Lincoln. I still get goosebumps & my heart flutters everytime I ski this trail. But I also totally love Waterville- Oblivion is my most favorite blue trail ever & I get a great rush on True Grit & the Lower Bobbys. Kids love the sugar glades & rock island. We can circle these trails all day & never get bored.

Cant talk NH without including Cannon❤️

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There are a number of ski areas across the Northeast that are fairly close to one another.

Which do you prefer:

· Killington or Okemo

· Mt Snow or Stratton

· Stowe or Smugglers Notch

· Sugarbush or Mad River

· Catamount or Jiminy Peak

· Hunter or Windham

· Bromley or Magic

· Bretton Woods or Wildcat

· Loon or Waterville
Stratton
Stowe
Sugarbush
Hunter and Windham both are great for different reasons.
Waterville but Loon is also good but no footrests on the chairs.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
When it comes to the places where I have skied both locations:

Okemo over Killington--I like the Canyon steeps, I do not find Killington hard to navigate, Killington has size and variety to rightly be called the Beast. But, when you ski in VT, and things like late January and late February happen, and the only quality skiing in this part of VT is groomed and man-made, then Okemo is going to win on snowmaking, grooming, lifts, and lodges.

Stratton over Mt Snow--I have only skied these places midweek, without the crowds and accompanying vibe. the Ursa chair and Snowbowl area have some quality terrain, a little challenge, and a touch of character to some of the trails.

MRG over Sugarbush--MRG has an it factor about it you have to ski to fully understand. Sugarbush is a great spot, but it is also one of the places in VT that skis smaller than the numbers. This should be a three mountain matchup, as Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen are functionally two separate areas more than one seamlessly combined resort.

Loon over Waterville--Loon may get overrun by Boston on the weekends, but it has terrain, miles of trails, and high speed lifts to make a smaller ski area in NH feel bigger than it really ought to seem.

I also love Stowe, at least the skiing on the Mansfield side. And for all the hate on Bretton Woods for not having a lot of pitch or challenge, it is a really nice place. When natural trails are rained or thawed out (80% of days in New England?) a weekend at the Mount Washington Hotel and ripping groomers and working on technique on good skill building trails is just a nice and enjoyable experience. As you may notice, I think it is truly possible to enjoy Stowe's Front Four and the buffed and flatter groomers of Okemo or BW. Places have their purpose given the skier and the weather.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Reading this thread it dawned on me how many VT mountains Ive never skied- actually never skied MA or NY at all

Considering I only ski Jay & occassionally SB, its hard to choose- MRG, Stowe, Kton its been 20 years....

Wildcat is superior to BW for steeps, but BW is a sweet spot for low winds, family days, and for days where kick back cruisers are preferred

Loon vs Waterville: Loon edges out only because of Ripsaw- nothing like edging up to the drop & overlooking Lincoln. I still get goosebumps & my heart flutters everytime I ski this trail. But I also totally love Waterville- Oblivion is my most favorite blue trail ever & I get a great rush on True Grit & the Lower Bobbys. Kids love the sugar glades & rock island. We can circle these trails all day & never get bored.

Cant talk NH without including Cannon❤️
Skied Oblivion on Wednesday and is part of the reason I said in an earlier post that Waterville is growing on me.

Of course if you have kids, Waterville and Bretton Woods have the equipment lease + full season pass deal. Basically for each kid 12 and under you get skis, boots and a full season pass for $150 to $180 dollars a year. Worth doing even if your kids don't need the equipment. We did BW last year and chose Waterville for this year as it is 30 minutes closer. Probably will do Waterville for next season too as once one has the season passes day trips need to be a little more convenient. Are there other places in New England that offer this?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe is very close to smugglers. from the top of Sensation lift, it only takes about 10 minutes to get to bottom of Sterling lift. Just make sure you have a smuggs lift ticket.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Smuggs does have some great terrain(I honestly might even say they have the most challenging marked runs in the east. , and snow preserves while its cold due to its north/NNW exposure but the company is short on money, and my hatered of slow lifts prevents me from rating it higher. Part of me wants Vail to buy it so create a mega resort, the other part of me, well lets just say I like competition.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Skied Oblivion on Wednesday and is part of the reason I said in an earlier post that Waterville is growing on me.

Are there other places in New England that offer this?

We affectionally call Oblivion the chicken run. One day years back we found a rubber chicken mid path- turned into a fun game of catch for a few runs & we returned the vhicken to where we found it. A few hours later we find out the chicken was a rafio station prize if we had turned it into the DJ.

The only other kids learn to ski package I know of is through Putnams Ski in Portsmouth for King Pine

Sponsor

Staff online