• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Smuggs does have some great terrain(I honestly might even say they have the most challenging marked runs in the east. , and snow preserves while its cold due to its north/NNW exposure but the company is short on money, and my hatered of slow lifts prevents me from rating it higher. Part of me wants Vail to buy it so create a mega resort, the other part of me, well lets just say I like competition.
Would be the best 1500 acres of skiing under one roof in the Northeast.

Reactions: BC.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've only been to Okemo, Sugarbush, and Sunapee in New England, but I thought Sunapee was just fine. Some fun runs, decent vert, decent facilities, etc. You should try coming down and skiing southern Pennsylvania and Virginia... or even North Carolina... I think it would change your perspective.
Are based in Europe now, but if i ever go down there, i would freaking love the experience ;-)

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
· Killington or Okemo - Killington. If you care about skiing over "total experience" It's not even close. Okemo has very nice facilities, but every run feels like a very slightly steeper, or slightly less steep version of the same flat blue cruiser.

· Mt Snow or Stratton - Stratton. I like both well enough for "close" VT mountains. Slight edge to Stratton on the skiing.

· Stowe or Smugglers Notch - Stowe, just for the size and amount of terrain compared to Smugs. I love the mountain, but don't love that it's now part of the Vail empire. I also love Smugs, and would love it even more if there was a better lift system.

· Sugarbush or Mad River - Sugarbush. Along with Stowe, my favorite place to ski in VT.

· Catamount or Jiminy Peak - Jiminy I guess. I'd prefer to keep driving past both.

· Hunter or Windham - Hunter. This is the Killington vs. Okemo of the Catskills. Windham has much nicer facilities and is a nicer experience. Hunter has significantly better terrain.

· Bromley or Magic - Magic.

· Bretton Woods or Wildcat - I've skied neither

· Loon or Waterville - I've skied neither

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
· Killington or Okemo - Killington

· Mt Snow or Stratton - not much experience with either, but Stratton

· Stowe or Smugglers Notch - Stowe

· Sugarbush or Mad River - Mad River when there is snow ... Otherwise Sugarbush

· Catamount or Jiminy Peak - never been

· Hunter or Windham - Only been to Hunter

· Bromley or Magic - Magic

· Bretton Woods or Wildcat - Wildcat

· Loon or Waterville - Cannon!

Sugarloaf trumps them all ....

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is all very interesting. I've only skied 3 areas in the US Northeast, and had a great time. I would love to go back sometime.

Really interesting ski culture.

I've skied Stowe, Jay Peak, and Sugarloaf.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This is all very interesting. I've only skied 3 areas in the US Northeast, and had a great time. I would love to go back sometime.

Really interesting ski culture.

I've skied Stowe, Jay Peak, and Sugarloaf.

I've been skiing in the Northeast for 60+ years. Those would be my top three picks. Grew up skiing at Stowe. Sold our house and moved our ski base to Sugarloaf 25 years ago. The "Jay Cloud" has made for some great days there. Deep.

Have two adult kids in the business in the West, and they chuckle when they talk to friends about those three areas. Pretty great skiing. One of my "acid tests" are the number of kids who come East to race in the NCAA ranks, and really develop a lot of fondness for Stowe and Sugarloaf in particular.

We all have our favorites......HaHa.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid