• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Mountain Bike..Really???

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah but I can't get them over the border cheap. I'm looking around what's "near" me. Maybe I'll find something within a 4 hour drive. I'd love to dump my current mtb for $1k and get something else around $1500. Just have to keep looking for stock..

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Well, the big brands usually launch next year mid-summer. The question has to be how much has Covid affected their production and shipping. Specialized is shipping 2021 Diverges now. Ibis just launched a new Mojo. Expect more and if you see something you like buy it fast.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How long before this starts happening with tubes?:ogbiggrin: Maybe I should run and buy duct tape just in case it runs out!

6sSje.jpg
I have an old school but never improved upon vulcanizing patch kit you can buy. Cement tube never breached. I paid $2.95 but you can have it for thirty bucks plus shipping.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife gave me the gears about it..I said you wait... :ogbiggrin:
I wonder if “I told you so” goes over better in your house than mine:ogcool:
Yeah, nooo..... :ogbiggrin: I just file it away as a small victory that I replay over and over in my little brain... :roflmao:
Cross posted from the funnies thread.
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 20.06.31.jpeg

We have a friend that works at Sheels and I stopped by, the bike shop looked like it had been looted. They had 2 mountain bikes, 3-4 road bikes and a couple of higher end e-bikes.
@DoryBreaux when was the last time you talked to Dave Fox?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@scott43 next year's bikes will often start trickling in by late this month, with full stock in September in "normal" times. At this point, your local Trek dealer may even know when the 2021 X-Calibers will be in stock.

Funny sign @Tricia. We've got one in the shop that says "For an additional $5 we'll provide a receipt showing the amount you actually plan to tell your wife you spent".

@princo show some class man, and at least break out the black Gorilla duct tape for patch work!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of new MTBs:

Scott 1.jpg

Scott 2.jpg

Sold my motorcycle to finance this and do not regret it one bit.

Only thing that bothers me at this point are the brakes. SRAM Level TLMs behave so much differently from the Shimanos I have been on my entire life that getting used to them will take quite a lot.

Well, if not I can always change them for XTR.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Cross posted from the funnies thread.
View attachment 104447
@DoryBreaux when was the last time you talked to Dave Fox?
A few weeks ago, trying to track down a bone for a very special case customer.
@scott43, that's going to vary brand to brand... Some brands still have inventory but only in higher price points. We're starting to see brands shift to a more appropriate calendar year model (something I've wanted for a long time) so some launches will be delayed anyways. I'll echo what Erik said and say buy it when you see it. I almost sold something out from under a guy today. I wouldn't have, bit probably could have.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of new MTBs:

View attachment 104448

View attachment 104449

Sold my motorcycle to finance this and do not regret it one bit.

Only thing that bothers me at this point are the brakes. SRAM Level TLMs behave so much differently from the Shimanos I have been on my entire life that getting used to them will take quite a lot.

Well, if not I can always change them for XTR.
We sold the Miata to get mountain bikes a few years ago.

I also prefer the feel of Shimano over Sram and we are contemplating swapping the GX over to XT.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I decided to buy a hybrid and started looking. Was surprised to find almost no inventory. A local bike shop had a medium Cannondale that is a little small but works. They are talking October before the inventory will reappear.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided to buy a hybrid and started looking. Was surprised to find almost no inventory. A local bike shop had a medium Cannondale that is a little small but works. They are talking October before the inventory will reappear.
Get the right size, whatever that is.

Reactions: Ron

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug is between M and L in most Cannondales he's tried. You should be able to do some tweeking to fit well.
What did you get? Quick?
They make a Quick Neo as well.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also prefer the feel of Shimano over Sram and we are contemplating swapping the GX over to XT.

I'm pretty devoted to Sram shifting on the MTB. I've had a bunch of these systems over the years. What I like about them is that once the cable has stretched out they just stay in adjustment more or less indefinitely. It just works. With Shimano I'm always tweaking. I also find Sram chains easier to work with. (Do Shimano chains still come without a quick link?)

On the road bike the smoothness and quietness of Shimano seems more important somehow. But honestly my exposure to Sram road drivetrains has been limited.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just sold my Yeti. got good money for it but it was a fair price in this market. I guess everything bike-wise is sold out. I was looking for a new fork and they are sold out until mid-july, which of course means mid-august.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm pretty devoted to Sram shifting on the MTB. I've had a bunch of these systems over the years. What I like about them is that once the cable has stretched out they just stay in adjustment more or less indefinitely. It just works. With Shimano I'm always tweaking. I also find Sram chains easier to work with. (Do Shimano chains still come without a quick link?)

On the road bike the smoothness and quietness of Shimano seems more important somehow. But honestly my exposure to Sram road drivetrains has been limited.
For me, it is that I like to use my pointer finger for shifting, something that I cannot do on the Sram...but I am getting used to it.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
just sold my Yeti. got good money for it but it was a fair price in this market. I guess everything bike-wise is sold out. I was looking for a new fork and they are sold out until mid-july, which of course means mid-august.

Ron is so hungry for bike gear he wore out a fork.

Sponsor

Staff online