• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Mountain Bike..Really???

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
@Philpug is between M and L in most Cannondales he's tried. You should be able to do some tweeking to fit well.
What did you get? Quick?
They make a Quick Neo as well.
Yes, it is a Quick disc 4. And yes they moved the seat back to make a better fit. Unfortunately, the carbon fork/stem made it not compatable to raise the handle bars. Candy and I did make it to PA to ride the GAP trail, well, 41 miles of it. Blame it on Jim Kenney - he's the one that introduced me to the trail. Great fun and experience.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
You do realize there's a new Emonda coming soon?!

But I guess a replacement wouldn't increase your bike count.

I'm hoping the new Emonda is a bit less quick handling, as I'm thinking about buying a road bike, after two seasons without. Sadly, our crazy winds suck the joy out of a quick-handling race bike.

LOL, I saw some pics and the new specs. Honestly, not enough of a change to motivate me to swap frames. I like the more aero design but its not a huge leap forward and because of my body geo, the H1.5 head is really low for me. Even with a 5.5cm saddle to HBAR drop, I have my stem at the top of the steerer tube. I'll wait another year regardless and then I can ride one to see if there's any discernible difference, AND, yes, we have had crazy winds all year and on fast descents its a little harrowing at times with a 73.8 HA. However, I love this bike. it just fits me so well. I am running Enve Aero Bar/Stem with AXS and Enve 4.5AR wheels (w/Dt 240 hubs 36t) that weighs 16.5#. for me, its the perfect balance of weight and aero gains.

BTW- I dont believe the new Geo slackens the head. Normally, I love the geo just the way it is.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Wait. No beer AND no caffeine? That is just cruel.

Life can be cruel :). Im working with a GI dr now on my issues. the sphincter where my esophagus meets the stomach doesn't close properly and matter and acid come back up. Not fun. It is actually the cause of my respiratory issues! I was originally diagnosed with asthma but the Dr at National Jewish figured it out. It's essentially the same thing (causes inflammation of the airway and bronchia).

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I missed the chance over mothers day for a '17 Timberjack with dropper for $800. Wasnt the first choice and by the time i tried to get it it was gone.

That was for my wife. My old rig needs a headset but i just soaked the bearings in gear oil to get another month until i can find a shop to replace. I bet the cups are stuck in the frame so dont want to diy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or just don't get an Emonda. :ogbiggrin:

Pretty committed to my Trek LBS if at all possible. They spoiled me rotten through 15 years of endurance racing.......and somehwat surprisingly, have continued to do so after I walked away from competition.

The Domane is just too "endurance roady", so we'll see what the new emonda brings!

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm guessing the New Emonda wont feel all that different. I am not a fan of proprietary parts so I am very curios to see of the Emonda will accommodate my own bar and stem. the current Bontrager bars are not compact so they have a crazy reach and drop. I much prefer a longer frame and shorter (100) stem and I dont like a huge drop as I ride a good bit of my time in the drops and a large drop can make setup a "best of" situation instead of a comfortable and efficient one. They already have a proprietary seat mast that is heavy and unnecessary.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am not a fan of proprietary parts so I am very curios to see of the Emonda will accommodate my own bar and stem. They already have a proprietary seat mast that is heavy and unnecessary.

I'm also not too crazy about proprietary "fit-related" parts they are putting on these new frames. Got a 2020 Domane replacement frame (warranty) a few weeks ago. On the Domane, Trek changed again from a seat cap (goes over the seat post) to one that goes inside the seat mast but with an "aero shape". My frame came with 20mm setback seatpost, so had to move the saddle all the way forward. Got the fit dialed in, but for aesthetic reasons, went and checked for a replacement seat mast with less setback. I was shocked when I found out its is $275....for a freaking seat post. It is absurd, but since they are the only ones making it, they can get away with it. Lesson learned: make sure that all the fit parts are negotiated in the initial bike acquisition, otherwise it can get very expensive to change cockpit and seat post parts.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
I saw this coming in March when the ski areas closed, and bought a Specialized Stumpjumper 29" mtb. I just figured the stores would close, not that supply would be gone. Very thankful I acted fast, would be high and dry now. And I could not be happier, this bike is so perfect for New England single track! This will be the first year I get more bike than ski days. "When one door is closed, another is open."

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online