• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Mountain Bike..Really???

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty devoted to Sram shifting on the MTB. I've had a bunch of these systems over the years. What I like about them is that once the cable has stretched out they just stay in adjustment more or less indefinitely. It just works.

I like it a lot, although I do miss a bit the Rapidfire shifters I had on my previous bike. Shifts up and down are crisp and precise, no problems.

Brakes are different story. They do work....eventually, when you have squeezed them quite a bit. Some say it allows for better modulation, still too early for me to form an opinion, will give them some time but it is hard when I am used to the instant savage bite of the Shimano.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sold my motorcycle to finance this and do not regret it one bit.

Only thing that bothers me at this point are the brakes. SRAM Level TLMs behave so much differently from the Shimanos I have been on my entire life that getting used to them will take quite a lot.

Well, if not I can always change them for XTR.

I prefer XT and XTR to Levels, but have found that "braking" (ha!) in SRAM pads is more important the Shimano. You really NEED to do the five hard stops from speed to attain full power. But Shimano brakes FTW regardless.

I also prefer the feel of Shimano over Sram and we are contemplating swapping the GX over to XT.

It's steep where I live. The shop jokes that nearly every bike sold leaves with the "Hood River Upgrade" of XT brakes and a smaller chainring.

I'm pretty devoted to Sram shifting on the MTB. I've had a bunch of these systems over the years. What I like about them is that once the cable has stretched out they just stay in adjustment more or less indefinitely. It just works. With Shimano I'm always tweaking.

On the road bike the smoothness and quietness of Shimano seems more important somehow.

A few months ago, I agreed with all this. Then I took a spin on the new Shimano 12-speed stuff. Mistake. It shifts so damn beautifully that my SRAM Eagle stuff now annoys me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
slimming way down! only have a road, Gravel and fat bike/29+. this is the minimum number of bikes permitted if you are living within the city limits of Steamboat. :).

I call for a Pugski pool on how long Ron stays at only 3 bikes.

I'll take the box labelled "not very"!

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I scrounged around and found a couple of possibilities..one is pretty cryptic, on sale and probably won't sell anytime soon.. Sooo...now to sell my trusty steed....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I call for a Pugski pool on how long Ron stays at only 3 bikes.

I'll take the box labelled "not very"!
Will this be an Over/Under poll, or will there be multiple options?

I remember a thread on Epic that (I think) @Mike Thomas started about me and my insane amount of ski purchases.
I don't do that anymore. :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it is that I like to use my pointer finger for shifting, something that I cannot do on the Sram...but I am getting used to it.
Do you even need to shift anymore?

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m more willing to bet on how long the three bikes stay the same ogsmile

I never say never, but I have my road (2019 Emonda SLR Disc) and gravel (Moots Routt) bike dialed. Both fit so well and I love how they handle, climb and descend. I am in the process of putting AXS 46/33, 11-33 on the gravel bike and I finally found a tire I love, (Challenge Gravel Grinder 38's) which sit just at 39.5 and have a perfect balance of float vs fast rolling and not too heavy but still grip well enough on our hard packed dirt. The Road bike is dialed. I moved the ENVE 4.5ar's over earlier this Spring and they are phenomenal wheels. Paired with Schwalbe Pro TLE 28's the bike is fast and climbs and descends like a dream. I cant recommend those wheels any higher. I ride them about 50/50 now over a 100 miles a week. I have the Fat bike which I love riding in the winter. I am toying with getting a set of 29+ rims and most likely a fork but I want to ride it a couple of times with the 27.5x4.5 configuration to see how I like it. I loved it the few times I rode it on the trails but Im not sure I want to put the money into the bike. I just dont really have time for a MTN bike anymore since I also love to hike with my wife.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
The run on bikes is really bizarre. I suppose it shouldn’t be under the circumstances, but I was taken by surprise. Been trying for 6 weeks to get the boy (11 now) his birthday “real” mtb. No luck so far and his birthday was 5/23. I did, however, get my N+1 bike 48 hrs ago, a Gazelle Cityzen T-10 speed. I’ve got 30 miles on it now and I’m pretty sure I’m now ruined on all other bikes. I’ve taken it to little league practice and the grocery so far. Plan to commute into the city for the first time tmrw. Haven’t been this psyched about riding in a long time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never say never, but I have my road (2019 Emonda SLR Disc) .....

You do realize there's a new Emonda coming soon?!

But I guess a replacement wouldn't increase your bike count.

I'm hoping the new Emonda is a bit less quick handling, as I'm thinking about buying a road bike, after two seasons without. Sadly, our crazy winds suck the joy out of a quick-handling race bike.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping the new Emonda is a bit less quick handling, as I'm thinking about buying a road bike

Or just don't get an Emonda. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online