• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had our NSP Alaska Division meeting over Zoom this morning, I think I like virtual meetings much better than the in person one. After that was done, I did manage to sneak out with the 4-legged friend for a hour on the bike. The leaves are completely off the trees now, just a matter of time until the white fluffy stuff starts falling.
20200926_153027.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Had our NSP Alaska Division meeting over Zoom this morning, I think I like virtual meetings much better than the in person one.
What area are you patrolling?

I’m tired. I really rarely have time for this big of a ride, or even close.
View attachment 111111
Nice one Amy! Is that like Australia & New Zealand all at once ogwink .

A few pics from the weekend.
Saturday...
64EAA7E0-0705-47A2-A70D-2E3F2C5F04FE.jpeg

49D69B3E-F40D-4701-B597-1F6B028C7548.jpeg

95B8727C-E9D9-41A9-8CD7-CA7E84A23823.jpeg

Sunday...
40365451-0A55-4AD5-B8A6-66E00341B88F.jpeg

9335F852-E7FA-4916-B0B8-F78230D055C4.jpeg

0BD28333-E156-4330-A348-86BAA26245AF.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What area are you patrolling?

Nice one Amy! Is that like Australia & New Zealand all at once ogwink .

A few pics from the weekend.
Saturday...
View attachment 111115

View attachment 111116

View attachment 111117

Sunday...
View attachment 111118

View attachment 111119

View attachment 111120
On Strava it’s called “Burrito” which I’m not sure I get. @utskier tumbled off the rock on Sardine and flipped 3 times down the hill. His bike got caught in the trees. Bike is ok, he’s covered in scrapes and bruises.

Reactions: nay

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
rock on Sardine
Was that the rock where the dirt is eroded away just before the top? I have seen a few people lose momentum there and tumble down. It is a bit tricky and the consequences of falling there are bad. Hope he is ok.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Was that the rock where the dirt is eroded away just before the top? I have seen a few people lose momentum there and tumble down. It is a bit tricky and the consequences of falling there are bad. Hope he is ok.
Yes, and he normally rolls right over. Accidentally grabbed front brake. :geek: It used to be easier to ride. I won’t even try anymore. Not worth it if you fall.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, and he normally rolls right over. Accidentally grabbed front brake. :geek: It used to be easier to ride. I won’t even try anymore. Not worth it if you fall.
It is especially not worth it this close to ski season!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had our NSP Alaska Division meeting....

I heard NSP is getting into the mtb world.

Do you know anything about that? I'm an ex-NSP guy, and just curious.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My buddy broke his leg mtbng and it was a challenge to get him out if the bush. I can see how that would be a useful addition. And this was a relatively small ski area. I can't imagine what it would be like getting folks out of a big West ski resort.

Reactions: nay

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My buddy broke his leg mtbng and it was a challenge to get him out if the bush. I can see how that would be a useful addition. And this was a relatively small ski area. I can't imagine what it would be like getting folks out of a big West ski resort.
Around here, SAR is busy with incidents like that. Mostly hikers, not bikers, though. They have been experiencing higher than normal incidence of incidents.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Around here, SAR is busy with incidents like that. Mostly hikers, not bikers, though. They have been experiencing higher than normal incidence of incidents.

Trails now are VERY dry and LOOSE AF. Rocks pop off terrain very easily. Its that time of year. :huh:

Did Breck get any precip from this last front?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Trails now are VERY dry and LOOSE AF. Rocks pop off terrain very easily. Its that time of year. :huh:

Did Breck get any precip from this last front?
No precip. Just lots of wind over the weekend. And frost on the roofs and decks this morning.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Basically here it was a call to 911 who then called the centre. He dragged himself to some double track and they drove a centre ATV up to bring him down to the ambulance. But this took an hour. I could see how some sort of coordinated centre patrol would be useful.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, NSP basically took over whatever IMBA (I think?) was doing in that sense as there was a lot of overlap in what each organization was doing except that NSP already had the recognized standard of care and training established plus a large member base to pull from. A recent survey also determined that there was way more ski patrollers who also bike patrolled than NSP knew about. It's a growing thing with NSP actively working on growing that portion of our member base and getting more patrols started across the country to fill the need. It makes a lot of sense for a resort to use NSP for bike patrol just as it does in the winter as it can then provide a consistent level of care across all the seasons (which makes insurance and management happy).

While we don't have any bike patrol components in my local area yet.. It's something I have my eye on as I think it would be something fun and worthwhile to add in for the summer time. I'm also pretty stoked to possibly get some bike specific pro deals in the future ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a tip to make the Fuel EX feel snappier: move the mino link chip from low to high. It definitely changed how it feels! It effectively changes the seat tube angle from 67.5 to 68, and the head tube from 66 to 66.5. I have really grown accustomed to how plush the bike is and am not sure if I'd like a Top Fuel on anything but climbs here.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a tip to make the Fuel EX feel snappier: move the mino link chip from low to high. It definitely changed how it feels! It effectively changes the seat tube angle from 67.5 to 68, and the head tube from 66 to 66.5. I have really grown accustomed to how plush the bike is and am not sure if I'd like a Top Fuel on anything but climbs here.

If that is the case, don't switch. Although rear travel is only 15 mm different, the FEX is far more plush than the TF.

At your size, maybe for a Christmas present, get your fork re-valved!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor