• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm curious on Georgian wines now ... of course figure it a bit of luck to find a likable one but would be fun trying regardless.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47363702

If you have Amazon Prime, search on "Our Blood is Wine".

I have a gruzian supplier two blocks down, been after him to bring in some of that wild clay fermented orange stuff but he just laughs it off.

I can't really stand their sweet wines. There's plenty of western taste dry and international dry stuff tho, frex Saperavi is around almost everywhere:

IMG_20190303_051612.jpg

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have Amazon Prime, search on "Our Blood is Wine".

I have a gruzian supplier two blocks down, been after him to bring in some of that wild clay fermented orange stuff but he just laughs it off.

I can't really stand their sweet wines. There's plenty of western taste dry and international dry stuff tho, frex Saperavi is around almost everywhere:

View attachment 67126

too funny you have it at hand. I sent a few wine outlets here the question, but suspect I'l have to hit a big city.

My dad used to make wine .. always very sweet and syrupy. Old country way, I liked it back then given it was the only wine served on occasion that us kids could have. Suspect a lot of the Georgian wine is sweet but regardless, would be fun to try.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This was beautiful. A 2007 Rutherford Cab. Great Vintage:

20190305_174227.jpg

We took to dinner to celebrate my bday. It was a bday gift a few years ago and had been sleeping at home. Young as a baby. Definitely California style, a lot more fruit than earthiness or minerality. Beautiful nonetheless. Great nose, explosive wine. Happy I opened it!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wendy does not care for Chablis. I adore it. Taking advantage of her absence tonight to savor this bottle with some fettuccine ai limone. Great pairing.

This particular Chablis is a favorite over the decades. It's not fashionable artisanal farmer wine. Nevertheless it's very typique, very affordable, and very lovely.

20190308_185608-01.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting story on Wine following and star/athlete endorsement.

LeBron James liking of a wine makes it popular, story goes on speaking of change from a handful of expert reviews (Parker for example) to being more social media tools if not stars/athletes then such as Cellar Tracker. Nothing new, stars have been used for years but in this case they may not be paid.

Interesting in thought as discussion here earlier centered on industry wine reviewers and their alignment to those here.

Anyhow, found it interesting with the snippet from yesterdays WSJ:

LAST NOVEMBER, LeBron James posted a photo of the 2014 Jordan Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon on his Instagram account (@kingjames). The following day, a user named Meg posted a review of a Jordan Chardonnay on Vivino, the popular wine app, awarding the wine 4.5 out of 5 stars. Her tasting note read simply “LeBron.”

Mr. James isn’t merely a legendary power forward for the Los Angeles Lakers; he’s also one of the most influential social-media stars today, with over 42 million followers on Twitter and 47 million on Instagram. Many of those followers are focused less on his athletic prowess than on the wines that he drinks. (Lots of fancy California Cabernets and Super Tuscans, as it happens.)

As it is, I still rely greatly on my local wine store expert's suggestions but won't deny simply picking based on the popular reviews (Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator , etc) and hope for best.

Lately I've had a good run on bottles with dogs, horses and other animals .... selection suggestions of my daughter. ogsmile

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
rely greatly on my local wine store expert's suggestions
I miss that. We became friends with our store's owner. He not only knew his wine, but also our tastes. He couldaccurately predictwhich wine would be my favorite at an in-store tasting, or pick out a special occasion wine splurge for us. But he sold the store and went into the doggie day care business.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mr. James isn’t merely a legendary power forward for the Los Angeles Lakers; he’s also one of the most influential social-media stars today, with over 42 million followers on Twitter and 47 million on Instagram. Many of those followers are focused less on his athletic prowess than on the wines that he drinks. (Lots of fancy California Cabernets and Super Tuscans, as it happens.)

Grrrr. This is why normal people can't afford really good wine. It used to be an insiders' game: You had to do your homework to know what might be treasure and what likely was trash. Now the whole planet just Googles freaking Oprah's Wine Picks and there goes my Burgundy. :nono:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I miss that. We became friends with our store's owner. He not only knew his wine, but also our tastes. He couldaccurately predictwhich wine would be my favorite at an in-store tasting, or pick out a special occasion wine splurge for us. But he sold the store and went into the doggie day care business.
oh ... but I think you can find just as fanatical folks with dogs .. and the margins are likely higher.

Maybe you can get him to get a club going with quarterly buys ... no shop, just sub-distributing.

and honestly, Wine is far better with your dog next to you.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
There you go. I'm with you.

I've found that this simple rule often yields good results: < $10 stick with beer, < $20 stick with Spain, < $40 stick with USA, < $60 stick with France. > $60 just about anything is decent.:beercheer:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that this simple rule often yields good results: < $10 stick with beer, < $20 stick with Spain, < $40 stick with USA, < $60 stick with France. > $60 just about anything is decent.:beercheer:

We've found that often at tastings we like the cheapest and the most expensive wines. It's the insipid mid-range designed by marketing consultants that is not worth the price, and not worth drinking for that matter.[/QUOTE]

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are trying a new eine bar in town. A ten page list and a bunch of wines under argon. Live music -- often Berkeley Music College kids, according to the bartender.

I'm drinking a Spanish tempranillo / petit verdot blend. Kind of a California concept but quite nice.
20190316_194321.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've found that often at tastings we like the cheapest and the most expensive wines. It's the insipid mid-range designed by marketing consultants that is not worth the price, and not worth drinking for that matter.
[/QUOTE]
I typically run in the lower priced stuff, I'm no connoisseur hence use of my wine guy and simply my preference.

I find it a bit humoring of the number of designed/marketed wines that once ran $15 to $20 a bottle now at $7 or $8 a bottle, some even lower. It too made me at least trust my limited instincts on wine.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A while back some member asked about any good wine from any NJ vineyard. I may have found one that wasn't bad.
WP_20190317_14_27_00_Pro.jpg WP_20190317_14_27_13_Pro.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This was beautiful. A 2007 Rutherford Cab. Great Vintage:

View attachment 67461

We took to dinner to celebrate my bday. It was a bday gift a few years ago and had been sleeping at home. Young as a baby. Definitely California style, a lot more fruit than earthiness or minerality. Beautiful nonetheless. Great nose, explosive wine. Happy I opened it!
2007 was a bizarre vintage. Many of the critics didn't understand it. Was the most elegant and balanced vintage, with huge yields. Those yields were due to good water basis and very low desiccation. IOW, if you think that was "California Style" I would expect other vintages of same to turn the volume up to 11.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting story on Wine following and star/athlete endorsement.

LeBron James liking of a wine makes it popular, story goes on speaking of change from a handful of expert reviews (Parker for example) to being more social media tools if not stars/athletes then such as Cellar Tracker. Nothing new, stars have been used for years but in this case they may not be paid.

Interesting in thought as discussion here earlier centered on industry wine reviewers and their alignment to those here.

Anyhow, found it interesting with the snippet from yesterdays WSJ:

LAST NOVEMBER, LeBron James posted a photo of the 2014 Jordan Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon on his Instagram account (@kingjames). The following day, a user named Meg posted a review of a Jordan Chardonnay on Vivino, the popular wine app, awarding the wine 4.5 out of 5 stars. Her tasting note read simply “LeBron.”

As it is, I still rely greatly on my local wine store expert's suggestions but won't deny simply picking based on the popular reviews (Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator , etc) and hope for best.

Lately I've had a good run on bottles with dogs, horses and other animals .... selection suggestions of my daughter. ogsmile
Jordan (the winery, not MJ) is literally one of the greats. They've had the same winemaker, a Tschelitscheff protoge, for 40 some years. Love their wines (all 2 of them). Great every vintage.

Sponsor

Staff online