• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
P.S. I'll bring the Rieussec.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S , I forget, have you met @cosmoliu 's friend Jeff? I've skied with him several times at Snowbird. Not only does he bring a lot of great wine, he also brings a case of wine glasses. And he is a good skier and a fun guy, as a bonus!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S , I forget, have you met @cosmoliu 's friend Jeff? I've skied with him several times at Snowbird. Not only does he bring a lot of great wine, he also brings a case of wine glasses. And he is a good skier and a fun guy, as a bonus!

So a half bottle is not going to cut it, I guess.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

For sure Tony met Jeff, when we all went up to the Spa for après ski during last year's Gathering.

In fact, Jeff drove out to Mammoth last weekend and skied with my club out of LA. The club always does a group dinner Saturday night and of course Jeff had come out with a couple of cases in the back of the car. He brought up several bottles, but it was the box of glasses that really turned heads.

And speaking of glasses, we had dinner at Skadi in Mammoth Lakes Friday night. We sat at the back of the restaurant and noticed that they had at least 6 different dedicated wine glass shapes in the cabinet.

So a half bottle is not going to cut it, I guess.

That would totally depend on the half bottle.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm a wine glass snob. I really think a thin-edged, elegant glass makes the wine experience more fun.
Tonight at dinner in a local restaurant I noticed the glasses -- thin, light, the modern conical shape. On close inspection, clearly molded with a very tiny rolled edge, but at first impression they look like expensive cut-edge blown glasses. The lip is totally not noticable unless you look for it.

Holdng them "just so" in the light, I see a "Master's Reserve" mark on the base. So I have to google.... they are Libby! And less than $50 for a case of 12! In the future maybe I should have a case shipped to the ski condo for each Gatherihng and leave them behind! (I'm joking, but just barely.)

Just please please please do NOT get anything with gold rims *gah*

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just please please please do NOT get anything with gold rims *gah*
How am I supposed to get there if I can't drive my 4 x 4?

Cadillac%20Escalade%201.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
An Italian goes to Turkey and makes a super soft vanilla cassis combo thus.
IMG_20190504_163737.jpg

This was also brought in by my Gruzian hookup, I think I have a new house pizza wine

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this tendency, mostly well-founded, always to lean toward small producers and single-vineyard wines. Problem is, you miss out on a lot of beautiful and affordable bottles this way. Case in point below. Big producer, blended wine, unpretentious, delicious.

More specifically, I really think some of the old school wines like this are actually more expressive and true to type than their over-extracted and overpriced brethren. Much as I love a good Zind-Humbrecht riesling, a delicate little linebacker like that is not what Julia Child was thinking of when she suggested pairing your trout with "a lovely Alsatian riesling." She was thinking of this.

@skibob , @cantunamunch

20190507_203033-02.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20190510_183930-01.jpeg Big and underbrush-y, but fresh. It's like Spanish zin. In a good way. 100% Monastrell from Jumilla. 2015. @mdf must try

Reactions: mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 73741 Big and underbrush-y, but fresh. It's like Spanish zin. In a good way. 100% Monastrell from Jumilla. 2015. @mdf must try
Tony, you inspired me to go to the basement and find a monastreil. Label says 91 pts Parker, but I think I still like Juan Gil's work better. I'll have to look for yours.
20190510_160118.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine is not a great wine. It's a little green and blatant. But it a great weeknight andouille risotto wine. :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Tarima is $10-ish wine... surprised it got such a good score, actually. Has a bit of a weird aftertaste....

Hard to justify pulling out a good one for a quick dinner and keep working to make up Monday's hours without taking a vacation day.... Should have seen if there was a Laya down there -- cheap AND good.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to watch Best Buys Deal of the Day and noted the Ullo Wine Purifier that I've seen previous, looks as if they updated the look or offering another style .. and while I haven't any wine issues (apart from wishing to drink more than I do) wondered if anyone used one of these?

From my understanding, may be less sulfites than other compounds in the wine .. long ago visiting Anderson Winery, the founder (Stan I think) was pretty vocal about the Sulfite labeling requirement stating the local salad bar contains higher levels, pretty funny we thought, but he also noted a lot of other bureaucratic hurdles. Great place .. sold off long ago, but I digress.

Anyhow, I can see where folks sensitive to sulfites could find useful but wondered to about changing flavor/experience.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it too soon to talk about summer wines? My daughter was telling me about something called Wolffer Estate "Summer in a Bottle" Rose Table Wine from Long Island NY. It is a fancy bottle, see the photo.
View attachment 70972

Can we do Maywines first? :)

Funny, we had mid 70's last weekend here in Iowa and not being much the white wine drinker hit the basement for a bottle .. being sky blue, light clouds and warm .. prepping some flower pots for the coming season beckoned a cool crisp white!

Almost didn't find any .. one bottle of Chardonnay but one was better than none!

lucky :( it cooled down this week with rain ... gives me time to restock.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ullo Wine Purifier

If I were a winemaker I'd be throwing a tantrum right about now.

When you go to a restaurant, do you whip out some kind of device to remove all those pesky flavor elements that the chef so carelessly allowed to creep into her dishes?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I were a winemaker I'd be throwing a tantrum right about now.

When you go to a restaurant, do you whip out some kind of device to remove all those pesky flavor elements that the chef so carelessly allowed to creep into her dishes?

Good point and idea! I need to find something akin to Ketchup to add to wine! Wine personalization seasonings to tailor the experience ... I can see an industry growing. ogsmile

yeah, I'm glad I haven't any such issues drinking wine, suspect if I had, I simply would never of grown to love wine.

Only wines I or my wife seem to avoid is the Aussie Shiraz .. don't know why but long ago we'd both had off next days, not ill or headaches, just off and seemed to correlate with em. We've lately had a few buys of higher quality (least from reviews read) ones with out issue. This or maybe back then we swilled too much!