• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Not totally off topic, but getting An airline credit card for what ever carrier is the cheapest out of your location will save you serious coin. I just put all my fixed expenses along with non-cash purchases on it and it grows quickly. Most will also give you a first checked bag for free too.

We are talking flying a family of four from Florida with four pairs of skis to Colorado for $500 if you rack up the points.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not totally off topic, but getting An airline credit card for what ever carrier is the cheapest out of your location will save you serious coin. I just put all my fixed expenses along with non-cash purchases on it and it grows quickly. Most will also give you a first checked bag for free too.

We are talking flying a family of four from Florida with four pairs of skis to Colorado for $500 if you rack up the points.
It's all about the points!!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

What's $500 for?

TS
O

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
I do have the IKON pass and I usually stay at motels or airbnb rentals. But i was looking at aspen/snowmass, even with airbnb they are all so expansive. The cheapest one are over 1 hour drive. Not sure if its worth it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can certainly add Deer Valley to this list...
It really isn't..look at their day prices, they are par or even less than some of the resorts mentioned here. The food is fantastic and very reasonable for what you get for your money.

Mark-172

Alta or Brighton... hmm...
Skier
True, but for Utah its comparatively expensive,. On the lodging side, rack rates start $300 range and go much higher for ski in/ ski out. Staying down in the valley is certainly a cheaper option. I'm lucky enough to be able to stay with family in SLC.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do have the IKON pass and I usually stay at motels or airbnb rentals. But i was looking at aspen/snowmass, even with airbnb they are all so expansive. The cheapest one are over 1 hour drive. Not sure if its worth it.

What price range are you looking for? And are you sure you're looking around Snowmass? You can typically find some deals there... I know folks that have stayed nearly slopeside for like $150/night. Perhaps it's too late in the season already for deals. It's also been a good early season, which may let everyone raise prices.

There are also a couple of motels in Aspen itself that have some cheap rooms... but again they may be all booked. Take a look at this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/school-me-on-a-little-place-called-aspen.6768/

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The Tyrolean Lodge is 180/night and right in Aspen. The Element hotel is 180/night and is located in Basalt, about 30 minutes away by bus even considering traffic. Those are, in my opinion, pretty reasonable rates for a ski area.

Mike

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can stay in Glenwood springs for 60 a night which is an hour away. I've done it several times but I think its worth it to stay closer.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Whistler sounds really expensive on the surface, but it's not that bad with the given exchange rate and no need for a rental car which is easily another $75-90 a day by the time you pay to park it. If CAD bounces back to parity, I'll likely stay in the US, otherwise I'll be in BC for may annual vacation.

Compared to the rest of the ski resorts in western Canada, at Whistler you line up and over pay for everything. Alberta and the B.C. interior offer great variety, dry snow, small to no crowds, and no walk up lift tickets exceed $75US. Gas is still expensive, but everything else is on sale, especially skis, boots, bindings as a ski for example that is $800US in the USA sells for $800CDN in Canada or less than $600US in Canada.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You can spend a lot or a little to ski many places. Some places make it easier to spend more. Some make it easier to spend less.

Do you pack a lunch?
Are you cooking dinner?
Do you eat the mega buffet breakfast at the hotel?
Are you slopeside or within 30 minutes drive?
Did you fly into a major airport or the regional?

I've done the cheap and expensive ways... it all depends on who you travel with and the level of 'work' on vacation you are willing to do.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do you know what is expensive? Ignorance. If you are going to a resort, do your research, spend some time educating yourself on what your options are. Plan ahead. Look at a pass like the Ikon or Epic pass, you will pay as much for a seasons worth of skiing at dozens of resorts as a 5 day pass at some of the resorts mentioned. With options like AirBnB and VBRO you are not limited to going through the main switchboard.
Phil is correct. My wife and I just did Whistler for four nights. We have the Epic pass and did a VRBO on a nice condo at Creekside that is a three minute walk to the gondola and has free parking. We paid around $130 US a night for the condo. The drive from where we live is about 3.5 hours.

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
Most expensive resort... no one mentions The Yellowstone Club?

https://yellowstoneclub.com/

Initiation: $300,000
Annual Dues: $38,000
Real estate: $2,900,000 and up (must own property)

Outside of that, I'll say that staying in Aspen has the most expensive places. Deer Valley is a close second I think, but Aspen just has the most of that "upper crust" type of lodging.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most expensive resort... no one mentions The Yellowstone Club?

https://yellowstoneclub.com/

Initiation: $300,000
Annual Dues: $38,000
Real estate: $2,900,000 and up (must own property)

Outside of that, I'll say that staying in Aspen has the most expensive places. Deer Valley is a close second I think, but Aspen just has the most of that "upper crust" type of lodging.

Cimarron Mountain Club is the most expensive "ski resort" - It launched in July of last year with six members each paying $2.7 million for their membership and cabin site and has a few remaining memberships available for $2.8 million.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

I built a house with my CC. Still using those miles.

Sponsor

Staff online