• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
8 hour drive in bad weather is at the top of our weekender driving range. I'm in Raleigh/Durham, NC. @Old boot might be coming up from Rock Hill, SC. Others from Jersey and DC might be OK with Upstate NY but ya, that's a show stopper for us down here..

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup, what he said...
That's why conversation has centered around the southern PA region. Speaking of which, has anyone else seen that 7 Springs has had some natural snow?:snowball:

As far as Belleayre and Plattekill go, there's always the possibility of a GTG for people in the NY metro area that might be interested. A few of us have managed to ski together in the Poconos, midweek when it's nowhere near as crowded. The Catskill region is out of range for a day trip for me, but if the snow is good I would definitely like to go to Plattekill as I have never been there (been to Belleayre plenty of times, even Highmount which is next door but defunct)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Unfortunately, I'm withdrawing my preferences from group consideration. Mrs crgildart got laid off today. I hope we will be back up at similar revenue streams before the end of January, but until our income status changes, all overnight ski trips are off the table for us. I'll stay tuned and see what the decision is and possible availability as our situation evolves. We'll still sneak in a couple day trips as long as we have some funds so my season's not a total washout... yet...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
SO... it seems like if this is going to happen, Snowshoe or Blue Knob are the places that will work.

I voted Blue Knob above, on one of the last two weekend of January... anyone else in? What's your preference?

If we pick a place, we can start a more official thread to actually plan.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I don’t think Wayne and I are in. Not sure yet anyway. Frankly we’re really tempted by a three day weekend to maybe a combo of Belleayre/Plattekill, or maybe a straight shot up the NY State Thruway to Gore (a Thursday later afternoon/evening drive up, ski Friday and Saturday, maybe Sunday morning, or not).

I was just thinking this very weekend I’d mention it here to see if anyone else would like to come as well, and if so, I might start some digging on a group house.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think Wayne and I are in. Not sure yet anyway. Frankly we’re really tempted by a three day weekend to maybe a combo of Belleayre/Plattekill, or maybe a straight shot up the NY State Thruway to Gore (a Thursday later afternoon/evening drive up, ski Friday and Saturday, maybe Sunday morning, or not).

I was just thinking this very weekend I’d mention it here to see if anyone else would like to come as well, and if so, I might start some digging on a group house.

You will not be disappointed with Gore. It is a nice option......especially if the trees are in play. Besides the drive...Gore is all positives.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately it seems like the main players from the last two years are pretty much out of the picture. Honestly, Snowshoe is a bit too far, so it sounds like Blue Knob will be the place. I'm interested, so let's see if a group house would be viable or if it's going to be more individual planning for a particular date.

To be continued, I reckon...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I like to do the leave work early Thursday, ski Friday and Saturday, drive back Sunday trips.. Sunday morning is always in play if the conditions are good. If we get a multi day mid atlantic trip this season it will likely be MLK weekend with the boy scouts.. probably staying at a mountain hostel or down in town at a motel. I'll stay tuned and see what else materializes. Some of the proposed venues might warrant a day trip.. Whitetail is not too bad.. maybe 4.5 hours..

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Charles, does trying to do this on Presidents Weekend help you with an extra day so you don't have to drive back until Monday? I've often thought that as small as the crowds are in recent years at Blue Knob, it could actually be fairly pleasant to Gather there on Pres Weekend, which I normally avoid at most mid-Atlantic ski areas. With a three day weekend we could possibly integrate a day at Laurel Mtn which is about an hour drive from Blue Knob. Laurel is even more quiet at all times.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We usually ski Sunday all day and Monday until about 3 MLK weekend. It's not as bad as Christmas week, but it is a little worse than a normal weekend Sunday. Monday isn't usually all that bad. Seems like Monday most of the masses are driving back to Florida.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So circling back around, this is what things look like to me if we're going to hold this...

Locations/Housing options :

Blue Knob

1) The house that we rented two seasons ago : https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17192149 ... total cost for 3 nights would be ~$2250

The first one is a bit run down but works out fine.

Dave, would you be interested in this house at BK over President's Weekend for three nights? I used to always avoid that weekend, but I think crowds are light enough now at BK that it would be fine. I'm curious about the new ownership at BK and hope they will energize the place. I might be willing to front the reservation down payment if we got enough interest in the next few weeks for that date/place. I'm going to UT for the big Gathering and stay west for much of March and this would probably be my last weekend for mid-Atlantic skiing in 2018. I think this house (Mountaintop) is still available that weekend for $700 per night. As you recall there are 8 single beds in two bunk rooms downstairs, and two double beds in separate private bedrooms upstairs, and a few sleep sofas in living/family rooms. It has good ski-in-ski-out location. We'd need about 10 or more participates to make a go of it.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I haven't been getting notifictification for this thread so I'll post again. Nothing really to offer. If BK is a choice I'll attend at least a day but if conditions are good at Laurel, you'll find me there. There are tree runs at Laurel I haven't skied in decades. Nothing at BK can compare. I would be advocating Laurel/Seven Springs with Ligonier as the bed base, a real town with movie theater, bowling alley, a reconstructed fort from the French and Indian War (yes G. Washington did sleep there) many fine restaurants and boutique shops and galleries. Laurel is small and only 35 acres in snowmaking, about 80 acres total if you count the glade we cleared and is now on the map. Seven Springs has arguably the best snowmaking in the Mid-A and they cover 250+ acres but it is about a 45 minute drive between the two. I'll be watching this thread.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Unfortunately it seems like the main players from the last two years are pretty much out of the picture. Honestly, Snowshoe is a bit too far, so it sounds like Blue Knob will be the place.
Enjoyed previous GTG's at Blue Knob with you guys but I'm out of this picture, having moved near Lake Tahoe.
. . Oh LHC I skied Laurel Hill many decades ago.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Probably mentioned before but what are crowds like at Seven Springs? I didn’t know it was 250 Acres. Not bad compared to most of the Poconos.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Probably mentioned before but what are crowds like at Seven Springs? I didn’t know it was 250 Acres. Not bad compared to most of the Poconos.

Seven Springs claims 285 acres total. Weekend and Holiday crowds can be bad but most people prefer to stand in line at the two detachable 6 packs. If you don't mind short or no lines at a fixed grip triple or quad then the crowds are manageable for lifts but both lodges are bound to be crowded. The main lodge at the base is huge. The ground floor has the rental shop and public lockers and change rooms. Second floor has a cafeteria style food service with seating that sprawls between several "rooms" all very large. The entire top floor is the infamous Foggy Goggle Bar with table wait service, also a specialty table service Foggy Brews, as the name implies serves microbrews with its own food menu. There is also a the summit Tahoe Lodge with limited food and bar service.

The skiing at the Springs (as locals call it or yinzer mountain for those that dislike the Pirate/Steelers/Penguins attire local patron are inclined to wear and the prevalent local dialect spoken) is divided between two faces of the same ridge, The Front Side is about 400 vertical mostly intermediate terrain, the beginner terrain will switchback on the face. There is a dedicated bump run with snowmaking called Goosebumps and skiers right of Stowe is often allowed to bump up. There are some glades that get snowmaking blow in. There are 3 terrain parks. There is a fixed grip Quad, 2 fixed grip triples, 3 "magic carpet" lifts, and a detachable 6 that must be used to access the North Face area.

The North Face is 750 vertical drop mostly upper intermediate/low expert pitch but all the natural snow areas bump up and there are a few powder stashes if you know where to look. The North Face Slope is wide with 3 distinct sections at the top. It is the longest sustain pitch on the mountain but surprisingly the least crowded mostly due to it being served by 2 fixed grip quads and the masses prefer the detachable 6 that is on skiers far left of the mountain. In between is a fixed grip triple that runs weekend and is usually not crowded but you can access all of the North Face from the top but you will have a long walk back if you want to ski Gunnar, Yordler, and Lost Girl trails which all end at the detachable 6. The top of the detachable 6 liftline is natural snow. There are short glade scattered across the North Face. You will find the popular Alley terrain park and a newly configured North Park both freestyle parks. North Park had a small pipe but not sure about this season.

In between the 2 main faces you will find what I call the Alpine Meadows area served by a fixed grip triple. You will find the Spring's Superpipe, olympic sized halfpipe and the most expert terrain park features. Seven Springs is often cited for best terrain park in the east and among the best in the country. Too bad I'm not into that but in my 6th decade I fear the learning curve consequences. I think the best snow can be found on the slopes, trails and glade found here.

I'll write up my favorite Laurel Mountain some other time but suffice it to say that Lower Wildcat is Extrovert steep but groomed with winch cats. Trails are long and cover all 760 vertical. Laurel uses to claim 900 foot vertical (under previous management) and few questioned it because the trails are long and there is true expert terrain there.

Sponsor

Staff online