• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@kitchener , @Ohioskier , @JohnL , @LaurelHillCraze , @jimmy , @Old boot , @cantunamunch , @crgildart , @Jim Kenney

First, please feel free to page anyone else I missed...

Second, since it's October, I didn't think it was too early to start thinking about the Mid-Atlantic Gathering... hopefully we'll get this cranked up again, and I can get a new sign made!

First thing to pick is place and time.

Place
Last season was Timberline, 2016 was Blue Knob... For 2018, there seemed to be some momentum building for Snowshoe with the conditions we had last year. Seems like all three are options this year, since we didn't really get to sample T'line last year.

I think Seven Springs would be cool with a day at Laurel, but that proved to be pretty expensive when we tried to price lodging last year - I presume that rules it out this year.

Time
February 19th is President's day. The main Gathering is two weekends later... I'd suggest we pick the weekend before President's day, February 9th - 11th. The weekend after would be an option too, the 23rd - 25th.

EDIT : I'm now going to be in Taos until Feb. 10th... so I'd prefer the 23rd-25th!

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm probably game for either option before or after P-Day.. My thoughts are before is less likely to be a meltdown with conditions. But late February isn't usually as bad as last season. As for location, cost of lodging is pretty much everything for us with the go or no go decision. Needs to be under $300 total for 2-3 nights ideally. Snowshoe options we've looked at before pass that threshold by quite a bit.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I'll keep an eye on everyone's plans -- too soon to say for me, yet. A couple of those on-trail houses at T-line sure looked like what the doctor ordered, but I'm spooked about burning another 3-day ski weekend requiring swim trunks.

High Time, Timberline.jpg

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There are January options - the weekends of the 20th or 27th would work. (MLK Day is the 15th) It would be more sure to be cold at that time.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was bummed about the melt-down last year. Just couldn't bring myself to drive that far for very iffy conditions. Any of the locations would be OK for me. I looked into the 7Springs/Laurel area, there is one place in the middle of them that was pretty reasonable but of course it's not actually AT the ski areas. I would vote for late January as well, especially since I have plans for the Utah gathering...a week before that would cause me to pass on this.

PS: Wouldnt mind Whitetail...nice place with plenty of slopeside lodging. And the one mogul run there is great!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The only problem with Whitetail is also that all the lodging is nearby, but not ski-in/ski-out. And ski-in/ski-out has been the choice the last couple of years.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
MLK Day Weekend has traditionally been our boy scout ski trip weekend. Most drive up late Sunday and ski Monday but a few of us drive up early Sunday and ski both Sunday and Monday. We stay at the Hostel midway between Beech and Sugar or at the similarly priced motels in Boone or Blowing Rock, NC.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm interested and will try to attend if date fits in with other plans which are still taking shape. I guess I have a slight preference for weekend of Feb 10 over weekend of Feb 24, because I too will be gearing up to go to UT for early March Gathering. I also have a slight preference for BK or T-Line over other places for cheapness, terrain, familiarity, and informal vibe. But since I wouldn't be involved in organizing or locking down rental properties, I definitely defer to those who are to set dates and pick venue. I expect Laurel Hill Crazie will try to make a pitch for gathering in the Laurel Highlands to ski Laurel Mtn and Seven Springs. I could go for that too if group trends that way. Skiing Laurel Mtn would be like our own private ski area. It's cheap and has decent terrain. Last year I belivev you could get a 3 day weekend ticket good at those two or Hidden Valley for about $150-160. Very cool and folksy:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/1507
Laurel Mtn is so uncrowded we could actually gather there over Pres Weekend with minimal issues.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only problem with Whitetail is also that all the lodging is nearby, but not ski-in/ski-out. And ski-in/ski-out has been the choice the last couple of years.

Not true, there are trailside condos available

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's the cost of lodging and lifts for the 7S/Laurel option. Do they also provide transportation from 7S to Laurel?

The Highlands Package
Ski and snowboard at three great resorts for one great family vacation! Enjoy 79 slopes and trails on more than 465 skiable acres and 9 terrain parks between Seven Springs, Hidden Valley and Laurel Mountain on the Highlands Ski Package!

Midweek Starting at $245 per person, based on double occupancy
Weekend Starting at $435 per person, based on double occupancy

Available January 1 through March 31, 2018
The Highlands Package Includes:

• • Two nights of lodging at Seven Springs
  • • Highlands ski and snowboard ticket for unlimited skiing/snowboarding from the day of your arrival until close the day you check-out at Laurel Mountain, Seven Springs and Hidden Valley
  • • Breakfast each morning at Seven Springs
  • • Overnight ski and snowboard check at Seven Springs
  • • Access to the fitness center and swimming pool at Seven Springs, weather permitting

http://www.laurelmountainski.com/stay/lodging-packages/

I could see grabbing a motel room along Lincoln Highway for a night or two up there but staying at 7S is definitely not in the budget and that's before we add in the water park, bowling, and other stuff the kids would be begging to spend money on outside of skiing..

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ligonier is a cute little town with revolutionary war history and is about ten miles from Laurel Mtn.
34864364.jpg

There is a Ramada Inn there and some B&Bs. Here is an example of a Ligonier home rental off VRBO: https://www.vrbo.com/380538

Somerset is about 25 miles from Laurel Mtn and closer to Seven Springs. There are a ton of motels in Somerset.

Last season they sold a three day Highland Pass lift ticket for Fri-Sun for something like $155, good at LM, SS and Hidden Valley, all within about an hour of each other.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not true, there are trailside condos available

Really? I thought all the housing there required a hike. You certainly can't see any from the main trails, though I haven't been through the true beginner area. Are they off that? Are they really ski-in/ski-out?

We wound up at a non ski-in/ski-out last year after a bit of confusion... it was close enough to be a couple of minutes walk, so you could come and go to grab lunch (or duck out of the r*&n, unfortunately). But actual ski-in/ski-out would be preferable.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Thinking out loud... Since last season's Gathering when Wayne and I very nearly called an audible in the face of the warm weather to perhaps go to Gore instead (wives put their foots down since we'd already paid for the T-line weekend), Gore has been on our radar for an extended weekend. Too far for a Mid-Atlantic Gathering for the Ohioites and the Carolinians, and no slopeside lodging -- anyway, our own thinking is perhaps whichever month the Gathering is in (Jan or Feb) we'll shoot to do Gore on the other month (and the Rockies in early March). But, I'd be opposed to another late Feb Gathering, at least to WV.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Late Jan, early Feb is a solid plan for Mid Atlantic investment IMO

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really? I thought all the housing there required a hike. You certainly can't see any from the main trails, though I haven't been through the true beginner area. Are they off that? Are they really ski-in/ski-out?

We wound up at a non ski-in/ski-out last year after a bit of confusion... it was close enough to be a couple of minutes walk, so you could come and go to grab lunch (or duck out of the r*&n, unfortunately). But actual ski-in/ski-out would be preferable.

Yes, there are true ski-in/ski-out, right next to the beginner area. But it seems there are only a few, and they are not cheap ($800/night for a place that sleeps 12, so about $67/head per night). This may put it out of the price range for those on a budget. Really not too many choices if slopeside is what everyone wants and needs the price to be low.

I agree, late Jan/early Feb would be a good time frame to plan for.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's the cost of lodging and lifts for the 7S/Laurel option. Do they also provide transportation from 7S to Laurel?

I could see grabbing a motel room along Lincoln Highway for a night or two up there but staying at 7S is definitely not in the budget and that's before we add in the water park, bowling, and other stuff the kids would be begging to spend money on outside of skiing..

This is the place I found near 7Springs and Laurel:
http://www.logcabinmotel.com/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes, there are true ski-in/ski-out, right next to the beginner area. But it seems there are only a few, and they are not cheap ($800/night for a place that sleeps 12, so about $67/head per night). This may put it out of the price range for those on a budget. Really not too many choices if slopeside is what everyone wants and needs the price to be low.

I agree, late Jan/early Feb would be a good time frame to plan for.

That's actually pretty "in play" for what we usually spend at other places... We don't include kids and teens in the head counts because kids can easily deal with a sleeping bag/pad on the floor if/when the beds and couches are all full.

It's the ski in ski out or walk to slopes feature that really makes or breaks this event for families with kids. Everyone having the freedom to ski as much or little as they want with the ability to make food or even take a nap, sleep in later than the other family skiers, come and go as they wish to and from the ski trails is a whole better world than everyone having to pile in the car and go to the slopes together and come back to the motel all together as well. My daughter probably won't be interested in three days of motel based skiing. Son and I are probably still game on for a Laurel and 7S weekend with a motel but he skis as much as I do, now maybe more. Teen girl will spend more time inside than out. Maybe play in the snow or hang out on the deck, hot tub a plus! But lots of car shuttling from a motel and count her out. She's only down for quick overnighters with those logistics.

Last edited: