• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I don’t think Wayne and I are in. Not sure yet anyway. Frankly we’re really tempted by a three day weekend to maybe a combo of Belleayre/Plattekill, or maybe a straight shot up the NY State Thruway to Gore (a Thursday later afternoon/evening drive up, ski Friday and Saturday, maybe Sunday morning, or not).

I was just thinking this very weekend I’d mention it here to see if anyone else would like to come as well, and if so, I might start some digging on a group house.
Belleayre/Plattekill and Windham/Hunter are day trips for me and would like to meet up. Gore is too far for the day and not one of my favorites, although it has been a few years since I have skied Gore.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Sounds great. I’ll keep you and everyone posted when our plans congeal but I forsee a three day weekend up there somewhere.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks like I’m super late to thread. Looks like people are considering a Blue Knob 7 springs or snowshoe trip. I’m ok with any. I’d prefer Blue Knob. We skied 7 springs and it just skied very small in comparison to snowshoe and Blue Knob. My vote would be getting a big house on the western territory of snowshoe. Even later season with the snowmaking they have unless it’s just a crap season all around we should be good.

@kitchener remember sitting with crappy conditions last season and very little open at Timberline that snowshoe had 100% open?

Just saying intrawest has invested a ton into it and they do a great job. Mid February through mid March are good at snowshoe typically.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK... looks like if anything is going to happen this season, the vote is for Blue Knob. This is the house under discussion.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p4644334

I'm in if we can get a few folks together. Total cost for 3 nights (Th, Fri, Sat nights) is $1900. Available weekends for that house right now are :

Saturday, January 20th weekend
Saturday, February 24th weekend

(February 10th is also available, but I'm not travelling already that weekend - so if folks want that weekend, someone else will have to arrange it.)

@Jim Kenney, @Ohioskier, @kitchener? Anyone else?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
DBostedo, I also have an alternate idea and sent you a PM.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(voice from the wilderness): gorrrrrrre mountainnnnnnnn, bellaeayrrrrrrrre). Lol.

Sooooo... that's a "no" then on Blue Knob? :rolleyes:

I could be talking into Gore, but I'm more flexible than some others with regard to slope side and driving distance. It's about an 8 hour drive for me. So I'd prefer BK.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I know. It’s a haul from DC. Maybe Belleayre/Plattekill a little closer? Just looking for a change of pace from BK. Gore seems, despite distance, an easy shot up the NY State Thruway. I recall last year when I researched Gore the lodging seemed pretty reasonable — a bit like lodging for Powder Mtn and Snowbasin — since it isn’t slopeside, the upside is reduced cost. We’d just have to confine our shindigging to dinnertime instead of lunchtime. And methinks we’d all get a lot more skiing in. I’ve got plenty of walkies to go around too. A lot more skiable terrain, albeit not the one, large synchronous mountain that a destination resort might be, but those are a different trip.

Jim, what are you thinking, destination-wise?

Last edited:

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@kitchener @dbostedo

Sorry for delay in response. I’m ok with going to Blue Knob but don’t go there just for me. Kitchener and crew have been coming long trips to smaller hills than are closer to him. With most of you being on East Coast it it makes sense to go to a New York area which it’s probably a reasonable drive for everyone else go for it. I will look at where you end up and see if it makes sense for me.

We like Blue Knob and everything but it’s small and places like Gore would make more sense for everyone else. I’ll keep an eye on thread and wherever you decide I’ll see if it makes sense for me.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Jim, what are you thinking, destination-wise?

I'm thinking about a roving sort of thing over President's Weekend visiting two of the usually least busy places in the region: Canaan Valley and Laurel Mtn ski areas. Neither may be worth a long drive for those not living within 2 or 3 hours and if I split my time between both that wouldn't work so great for those who prefer a slopeside house type situation.
Gore could be good for you guys. I've only been there once back in the 1980s, but it seemed like a good mtn worth multi-day visit. But I don't think I'd be up for that; too far for me for a regular weekend and I have a feeling too busy for Pres Weekend.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
My mind is congealing around the weekend of 27 Jan for a get-together at Gore (straight up the NY State Thruway). Thinking we'd head up Thursday 25 Jan, ski Friday and Saturday, and head home on Sunday (hopefully listening on the drive home to the Eagles playing the NFC Championship at home ogsmile). I dunno if they have night skiing at Gore, but it'd be an option for Thursday, depending on when we got on the road...

Interest?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
They have evening skiing at the North Creek Ski Bowl, but not on Gore Mountain itself.

I haven't been to Gore in almost 10 years, would be interesting to take a trip there. I stopped going there after they put the new gondola in, because the skier traffic from the upper terminus to the Straight Brook lift to the top was like skiing at Hunter! It became the only way to the top, and pretty much ruined the place for me.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone out there know if Hickory opens anymore?
As you may know, Hickory did not open in 2017: http://poststar.com/news/local/hick...cle_2cbe0666-2d37-51b5-bfbd-21890bf6b7b0.html
I've never been there, but heard of it's reputation for interesting terrain. It has no snowmaking and has only been open sporadically in recent years - an elusive ski area to bag for those who don't live nearby (Lake George area, NY). You might try asking about status on the Hickory facebook page https://www.facebook.com/hickoryskicenter/ or in this thread from NYSkiblog: http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Conditions-td1557315i160.html

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
They have evening skiing at the North Creek Ski Bowl, but not on Gore Mountain itself.

I haven't been to Gore in almost 10 years, would be interesting to take a trip there. I stopped going there after they put the new gondola in, because the skier traffic from the upper terminus to the Straight Brook lift to the top was like skiing at Hunter! It became the only way to the top, and pretty much ruined the place for me.

Gore is nothing like Hunter. Gore is one of the few places that you can ski on a holiday weekend and find that most of the lifts do not have a lift line. The "new" Gondola was installed in 1999. Things have changed in 18 years.

There are now 2 trails and 3 glades that take you down to the Straightbrook quad from the Gondola. Pine Knot is a funky blue trail and Uncas is an easy black trail. Maybe it was early season before Uncas was open? Maybe Uncas was not cut yet? You can also get to the top via the High Peaks double off the AE2 HSQ out of the main base.

Gore is a great place to ski with multiple pods facing multiple directions and at different altitudes over the 2537 vertical feet. You can usually find great snow somewhere.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe us southern folks can shoot for a mini gathering at Wintergreen. We've done a day trip DC/NC folks GTG there in the past. If we hit it after February when the crowds have died down we can poach a gazebo and grill burgers and hot dogs. I'd also be game to meet there one day over Christmas break. It's also possible that the scout troop will pick that venue for our MLK Weekend trip. I'll post the info here when we have that nailed down as well

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gore is nothing like Hunter. Gore is one of the few places that you can ski on a holiday weekend and find that most of the lifts do not have a lift line. The "new" Gondola was installed in 1999. Things have changed in 18 years.

There are now 2 trails and 3 glades that take you down to the Straightbrook quad from the Gondola. Pine Knot is a funky blue trail and Uncas is an easy black trail. Maybe it was early season before Uncas was open? Maybe Uncas was not cut yet? You can also get to the top via the High Peaks double off the AE2 HSQ out of the main base.

Gore is a great place to ski with multiple pods facing multiple directions and at different altitudes over the 2537 vertical feet. You can usually find great snow somewhere.

Yeah, it was shortly after the new gondi was put in. There was only one trail down to the chairlift. It was especially bad having my kids with me, borderline terrifying as everyone was going hell bent for leather on an icey slope. I have always loved the rest of the mountain, but that gauntlet killed it for me at the time.
I did not mean to imply the whole area was like Hunter, because if it was I would not have gone there as much as I did. It was just that one trail that was available from the top of the new gondi down to the chairlift. That indeed was like being at Hunter.
Getting to the High Peaks lift from the AE2 also had it's issues, as you had to cross a major intersection of 3 trails, one of which was a black. Again, the issue was having my children with me. IMO, they did not fully think out the traffic patterns. I would have preferred just replacing the old gondola in the same spot

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
As you may know, Hickory did not open in 2017: http://poststar.com/news/local/hick...cle_2cbe0666-2d37-51b5-bfbd-21890bf6b7b0.html
I've never been there, but heard of it's reputation for interesting terrain. It has no snowmaking and has only been open sporadically in recent years - an elusive ski area to bag for those who don't live nearby (Lake George area, NY). You might try asking about status on the Hickory facebook page https://www.facebook.com/hickoryskicenter/ or in this thread from NYSkiblog: http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Conditions-td1557315i160.html

I drove past it too many times to count, and I am really kicking myself for never having gone there. If it's open, I am going to try my best to get there. I might also check out the Mt. Greylock ski club. I love funky old throw-back areas, even if the terrain is limited. Sometimes is about more than just vertical feet.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Im also am kicking myself for not getting to Hickory Ski area. What a cool area, it won't be reopening this year but there is a grigr that want to provide fee based access for back country skiers as well as an back country ski school. This is a good idea, if they get snow to cover the ledges, - it's in a snow hole area.

Prospect in VT has maintained, fee based , leg served terrain on the old downhill slopes and is a snow magnet. A back country school would work there too.

https://poststar.com/news/local/hic...cle_e67ad00a-9106-5339-8710-d7bec54707b9.html

Sponsor

Staff online