• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This thread cracks me up. One of the founders of this site is well-known (at least in my head) for some of these mistakes. Do we love him any less? No, we don't! And we cut him a lot of slack because we know him.

There is always google for goggle, too; that's just a finger mistake, but it happens so much now.

I think the google thing is accepted usage in Europe. At least, I get that feeling from reading a number of German posts.

It's better than "skies."

(You'll note I put the period in the correct place, even though I hate that rule!)

I apply that rule when it makes sense to me. And I feel like maybe that rule doesn't apply in British English. I speak English goodly, but I don't understand putting the question mark inside a quote when I'm asking the question, or putting the exclamation point inside a quote when I'm the one who's excited.

Can you believe he said, "Bring your own lunches?!"

That makes no kind of sense to me.

The debatable part is whether being clearly understood by most or all should be a requirement. Perhaps it depends on what's being written, a form of art or something technical.

Where proper form and clarity collide, always opt for clarity. I feel the same way about natural languages as I do about code on this one.

Susan's point about code switching is important. I just listened to a Cracked podcast that made some really important points about how class and income are distinct in the US, and our language usage is part of that. When I was young and knew everything about everything, I pooh-poohed Ebonics and other forms of dialect. These days, I'm not so quick to judge. I've started seeing language choices as a way for privileged groups to exclude other groups. Also please don't ask me to spell privilege without a spell checker. On the other hand, "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" is one of the most hilarious books ever.

What I find really funny/interesting is when my father or my mother in law, who both take great pride in their proper English, use expressions like "I feel badly for she and I." (twofer!) And my MIL will try to correct people who say "They did the test on her and me." They seem to have internalized some rule that "me" is *never* the right word, even with an indirect object. Actually, my MIL's need to correct others' grammar made me realize how pointless it was - how it's just a way of giving yourself a little dose of self-righteousness at the expense of someone else's dignity. So I have tried to stop that shit. Professional organizations, of course, are a different matter. But I'll admit that I still judge people for using terrible English in work communication, unless English isn't their first language.

Oh, but hey, sometimes clarity isn't the point. I'm thinking the Benji chapter in The Sound and the Fury. Confusion was the point.

The one that I DO ignore, which will probably drive people nuts, is the singular their sometimes. Because I hate he/she more. Oh, and sentence fragments get used on the forum but not IRL.

I was just listening to a Slate podcast (yes, I listen to a lot of podcasts!) about some major institution accepting "they" and "their" to represent individuals. It was not clear to me if they were speaking of the generalized singular (I just made up that term) or if they were speaking of cases where the subject did not identify with a single gender.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have found evidence to support my claim about British English when it comes to punctuation and quotes. AND evidence that I can use other punctuation (question marks, exclamation points, etc) outside of quotes in American English. Win!

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/british-versus-american-style.html

The above examples also show that the American style places commas and periods inside the quotation marks, even if they are not in the original material. British style (more sensibly) places unquoted periods and commas outside the quotation marks. For all other punctuation, the British and American styles are in agreement: unless the punctuation is part of the quoted material, it goes outside the quotation marks.

(And apparently, I still have stuff to learn when it comes to punctuation and grammar.)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Our local community newspaper. We have a Sheep Shearing Festival every year. I rather like this typo:
20160521_085030.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
The rampant overuse of "good" as an adverb drives me crazy. As in "they played good." Espn is an egregious offender. They make ex players wear all kinds of fancy suits to usually say little of value but won't teach them basic grammar.

Apparently, the whole good/well issue is more complicated. Good can be used with linking verbs like "to be." (< makes no sense to put the period inside the quotes see>). So saying "I'm good" in response to "How are you?" is acceptable. The talking suits on Espn usually use it with action verbs however which is still wrong and makes them sound like dolts.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/good-versus-well

James

Out There
Instructor
^^Working for a sports network now??
By the way, Espn clearly doesn't follow this:

Top 10 Grammar Gaffes That Can Cost You a Job and Make You Look Foolish
—SIX—
Adjectives for adverbs: “They played real good.” Good describes things, places, people, or ideas. Well tells more about verbs, the action words of a sentence. Correct: “They played really well; they did a good job.”

http://booher.com/communication-wri...can-cost-you-a-job-and-make-you-look-foolish/

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's my list of misused words that I redline all the time on my college students' papers.
All these are commonly used words. Many involve an apostrophe.
It's sad that somewhere in middle school the apostrophe rules weren't drilled into our citizenry.

-- then for than
-- it's for its
-- guest for guests, and any plural noun where the final s has been left off because there is an s somewhere close to the end of the word
-- your for you're
-- there for they're
-- any apostrophe added before the s on a plural noun; ex: apple's for apples
-- lose for loose
-- too for two
-- final quotation marks followed by a period, or comma, when the punctuation needs to be inside the quotation marks

There. I get so tired of marking these in red.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The rampant overuse of "good" as an adverb drives me crazy. As in "they played good." Espn is an egregious offender. They make ex players wear all kinds of fancy suits to usually say little of value but won't teach them basic grammar.

Apparently, the whole good/well issue is more complicated. Good can be used with linking verbs like "to be." (< makes no sense to put the period inside the quotes see>). So saying "I'm good" in response to "How are you?" is acceptable. The talking suits on Espn usually use it with action verbs however which is still wrong and makes them sound like dolts.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/good-versus-well

The one that gets me is when friends and family say, "I feel badly for them." People who are generally very good with grammar. I just picture the person saying it trying to feel someone else up and doing a botch job of it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I too disagree with that rule. If the punctuation mark is not part of the quote, it is illogical to place it inside of the quotation marks. Therefore, except when writing formally, I place the end punctuation mark after the end quotation mark.
Not if reading aloud. It is not illogical at all to come to a breath stop whilst keeping the tempo of the framing sentence, and then say "end quote."

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Here's my list of misused words that I redline all the time on my college student's papers.
All these are commonly used words. Many involve an apostrophe.
It's sad that somewhere in middle school the apostrophe rules weren't drilled into our citizenry.

-- then for than
-- it's for its
-- guest for guests, and any plural noun where the final s has been left off because there is an s somewhere close to the end of the word
-- your for you're
-- there for they're
-- any apostrophe added before the s on a plural noun; ex: apple's for apples
-- lose for loose
-- too for two
-- final quotation marks followed by a period, or comma, when the punctuation needs to be inside the quotation marks

There. I get so tired of marking these in red.

In this all lower case, printed not written, LOL world when people have to print their names because they can not sign their name we end up with a generations of i-people. I think it all started with e-mail, went to texting, and now to twitter. Are our devices causing us to give up on the language arts?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In this all lower case, printed not written, LOL world when people have to print their names because they can not sign their name we end up with a generations of i-people. I think it all started with e-mail, went to texting, and now to twitter. Are our devices causing us to give up on the language arts?

People throughout history have always believed that the next generation was sending humanity on its way to end times. Grammar and spelling rules are relatively recent in the history of English. The rules are constantly in flux. Also "LOL" is not all lower case.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
People throughout history have always believed that the next generation was sending humanity on its way to end times. Grammar and spelling rules are relatively recent in the history of English. The rules are constantly in flux. Also "LOL" is not all lower case.

I spent 12 years in a middle school classroom as my last career and unless you live it you have no idea. By the way I put LOL in CAPS for a reason.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I spent 12 years in a middle school classroom as my last career and unless you live it you have no idea. By the way I put LOL in CAPS for a reason.

Okay! I'll admit I don't have much exposure to kids. Still, it's true.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I was cooking cauliflower today, the cap was loose on the salt shaker, which nearly made me lose it.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online