• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's better than "skies."

(You'll note I put the period in the correct place, even though I hate that rule!)

lol. Just edit your sentence: It's better than "skies" is. :huh: That's a bit awkward, too.

I don't like too much punctuation, so I just italicized my examples, of course.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is always google for goggle, too; that's just a finger mistake, but it happens so much now.

I don't let these things bug me too much, or I'd be constantly bugged, but it depends on the source. I threw (through) a small facebook tantrum yesterday when the Denver Post published a headline with allude in place of elude. That is simply unacceptable. It was online, and yes they changed it (after an hour!), but this kind of thing happens all the time with the Post.

I emailed our local TV station a few years ago when they were proudly proclaiming the return of 13 On Your Sidelines, Friday's at 11. They fixed it.

(You'll note I put the period in the correct place, even though I hate that rule!)
I hate that rule, too.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This is where east coasters and Californians can differ. The way I see it, if it's a stupid rule you should feel free to ignore it.

After all, where do all of these rules come from? Where did words come from? (yes sentence ending preps...see Winston Churchill comments on this) Somebody made them up. All of them. So how did they get that license and not you? We should all be free to design spelling and grammar. If it gains traction it becomes part of the lexicon.

There must be some formal acknowledgement of this as the dictionary and grammatical convention does change over time. In any event, I'm not going to let someone with a grammar school mentality control how I communicate.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's even worst? ;) Autocorrect on my phone is adding apostrophe's where apostrophe's don't belong! It drives me nuts! (Yes, grammar errors were made on purpose.) The dumming down of 'Merica!

Ummm......you mean "dumbing down."

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Prescriptive vs descriptive grammar. Choose your register wisely.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Their at it again, those grammar police. The less of them, the better. I've seen over a 30 percent growth in grammar police this year alone. This really effects my mood, I feel downright nauseous.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There must be some formal acknowledgement of this as the dictionary and grammatical convention does change over time. In any event, I'm not going to let someone with a grammar school mentality control how I communicate.

One can't be Picasso (or Tamara de Lempicka ftm) without learning how to draw. If the audience isn't prepared to recognise nuance and subtlety vs. ignorance, the best any presenter can do is be a populist, not to say panderer. Or a hermit. Dan Brown or John Kennedy Toole. Joyce is off the table, completely.

Prescriptive vs descriptive grammar. Choose your register wisely.

Or just Dunning-Kruger your way through life like all the rest.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
image.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Their at it again, those grammar police. The less of them, the better. I've seen over a 30 percent growth in grammar police this year alone. This really effects my mood, I feel downright nauseous.

:hail:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I find code-switching rather fabulously intriguing, myself.

A few years ago, I was on a chairlift drinking a can of Budweiser with a ski bum friend who lives out of a truck. We might have had a belching contest. Within 48 hr, I was having brunch at the home of two blue-blazered scholarly types (PhDs, think tank fellows, corporate board directors -- basically a couple who has attained the highest levels of the US corporate, government, and quasi-government ladders), and actually sort of carrying on a conversation. But not like theirs ... they are the type who speak in fully parsed and punctuated paragraphs, somehow formed in the brain before passing the lips. It was really strange. But cool.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I find code-switching rather fabulously intriguing, myself.

A few years ago, I was on a chairlift drinking a can of Budweiser with a ski bum friend who lives out of a truck. We might have had a belching contest. Within 48 hr, I was having brunch at the home of two blue-blazered scholarly types (PhDs, think tank fellows, corporate board directors -- basically a couple who has attained the highest levels of the US corporate, government, and quasi-government ladders), and actually sort of carrying on a conversation. But not like theirs ... they are the type who speak in fully parsed and punctuated paragraphs, somehow formed in the brain before passing the lips. It was really strange. But cool.
Belching contest? Challenge accepted! I put my husband to shame.

James

Out There
Instructor
This is where east coasters and Californians can differ. The way I see it, if it's a stupid rule you should feel free to ignore it.

After all, where do all of these rules come from? Where did words come from? (yes sentence ending preps...see Winston Churchill comments on this) Somebody made them up. All of them. So how did they get that license and not you? We should all be free to design spelling and grammar. If it gains traction it becomes part of the lexicon.

Seperate issues?
Laziness is perhaps the greater mother of invention.

Morse: "He never would have written that."
Lewis: "Why not? How do you know?"
Morse: "The way 'separate' is spelled."
Lewis: "What's wrong with it?"
Morse: "It's illiterate Lewis. It's s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e..."

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bet none of you guys have NewSchooler accounts LOL.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is the greatest and coolest video on the joy of good language and the problems with 'grammar pedants!' stick with it, cool pay off!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Seperate issues?
Laziness is perhaps the greater mother of invention.

Morse: "He never would have written that."
Lewis: "Why not? How do you know?"
Morse: "The way 'separate' is spelled."
Lewis: "What's wrong with it?"
Morse: "It's illiterate Lewis. It's s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e..."
John Thaw was sublime as Morse.
Thanks for the reference.

Sponsor

Staff online