• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
lol. Just edit your sentence: It's better than "skies" is. :huh: That's a bit awkward, too.

I don't like too much punctuation, so I just italicized my examples, of course.

I am sure that you editor's especially go crazy when the punctuation is wrong.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am sure that you editor's especially go crazy when the punctuation is wrong.

:D I honestly am pretty mellow about most things, not everyone is a word person. More people are probably math-illiterate, in fact. The one thing I don't get, though (of which your post reminded me), is using an apostrophe in a plural. Particularly when it's already been done properly. I mean, you always see stuff like, "I like cookie's but I don't like yams or french fries. My son's and daughters love everything, though." ?? Don't. Get.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
:D I honestly am pretty mellow about most things, not everyone is a word person. More people are probably math-illiterate, in fact. The one thing I don't get, though (of which your post reminded me), is using an apostrophe in a plural. Particularly when it's already been done properly. I mean, you always see stuff like, "I like cookie's but I don't like yams or french fries. My son's and daughters love everything, though." ?? Don't. Get.
You had me on your side until you pulled a 360..

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You had me on your side until you pulled a 360..

Not a 360. (Maybe a 180? Definitely not a 360, no matter what.) I understand making mistakes, or just not knowing things. But I don't quite understand doing something both wrong and right within three words.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

One can't be Picasso (or Tamara de Lempicka ftm) without learning how to draw. If the audience isn't prepared to recognise nuance and subtlety vs. ignorance, the best any presenter can do is be a populist, not to say panderer. Or a hermit. Dan Brown or John Kennedy Toole. Joyce is off the table, completely.

Or just Dunning-Kruger your way through life like all the rest.
Exactly. The point is to communicate. Learning accepted structure is part of that but ultimately it's about being understood. I could make up my own language but I'd be the only one to understand it. Between inventing a language and conforming to Sister Mary Theresa there's a huge divide. Let the writer choose and the reader decide whether to read.

The debatable part is whether being clearly understood by most or all should be a requirement. Perhaps it depends on what's being written, a form of art or something technical.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is where east coasters and Californians can differ. The way I see it, if it's a stupid rule you should feel free to ignore it.
I try with that particular rule but I always end up going back and fixing it.

The one that I DO ignore, which will probably drive people nuts, is the singular their sometimes. Because I hate he/she more. Oh, and sentence fragments get used on the forum but not IRL.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not a 360. (Maybe a 180? Definitely not a 360, no matter what.) I understand making mistakes, or just not knowing things. But I don't quite understand doing something both wrong and right within three words.
Sorry, I must be math illiterate.. I though you, of all people would have caught that LOL

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...of course and typical as you're not dyslexic.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...of course and typical as you're not dyslexic.

True, true. It just seems to be the least-confusing part of English grammar, which I acknowledge is very confusing. Slap an "s" on it and you're good. Done.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went back and bolded the part of your quote I was responding to..

Oh, I get it now, don't worry. I did have an aspect of about-face in my post, though, so, you know... lol.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Attachments

• mathtee-whatpart.jpg
    mathtee-whatpart.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 30

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find code-switching rather fabulously intriguing, myself.

A few years ago, I was on a chairlift drinking a can of Budweiser with a ski bum friend who lives out of a truck. We might have had a belching contest. Within 48 hr, I was having brunch at the home of two blue-blazered scholarly types (PhDs, think tank fellows, corporate board directors -- basically a couple who has attained the highest levels of the US corporate, government, and quasi-government ladders), and actually sort of carrying on a conversation. But not like theirs ... they are the type who speak in fully parsed and punctuated paragraphs, somehow formed in the brain before passing the lips. It was really strange. But cool.
...and how many times during brunch didja hold back from responding with a burp or two, lol. ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure ... in fact, there was quite a show at Alta last week...

View attachment 5961

Was @Drahtguy Kevin twerking again?

I find code-switching rather fabulously intriguing, myself.

A few years ago, I was on a chairlift drinking a can of Budweiser with a ski bum friend who lives out of a truck. We might have had a belching contest. Within 48 hr, I was having brunch at the home of two blue-blazered scholarly types (PhDs, think tank fellows, corporate board directors -- basically a couple who has attained the highest levels of the US corporate, government, and quasi-government ladders), and actually sort of carrying on a conversation. But not like theirs ... they are the type who speak in fully parsed and punctuated paragraphs, somehow formed in the brain before passing the lips. It was really strange. But cool.

This just makes me chuckle. I'm guessing Bob was the bum. You are a woman with many sides.