• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for an 80mm-waisted teaching ski

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From a position of experience (you)... I respect that and find it interesting that you are in the PNW with soft snow. The ski is hard charging and a high performance ski. Not a race ski but the ski is powerful. I see many skiers on the Titan here in the east and often these people are over their heads. L2 and L3 obviously would not be over their head on this ski. I prefer this ski with speed. It's not great at skidded turns. I am assuming most instruction is not done in the aggressive mode. So that is where my comments come from.

But your collective experience is valid and I respect that. I see so many instructors on skis a below their level and with a purpose. Yet they free ski in something more substantial. At Jiminy our L3 actually ski like L3s and they can teach. A vast majority of their students are intermediate or so.

I love the iTitan.

Just for clarification purposes. @markojp is in the PNW and @UGASkiDawg is in CO.

What you mentioned in your post is the primary reason I usually suggested forum members to go out and do a gathering. Whether national or regional. It provides context and eliminates much of the cross talk.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It's not great at skidded turns. I am assuming most instruction is not done in the aggressive mode. So that is where my comments come from.

Much of it's about boot fit/alignment when driving narrower, higher performance skis. It needs to be dialed. The Titan's fine doing brushed parallel turns and slow demos of pretty much everything... that last bit you need for doing exam tasks, and demonstrating exam tasks. Piste skiing and exam tasks are easier on narrow skis. Everything can be done with more precision, less effort, AND at high levels of performance when asked for or felt like. Off piste in funk can be interesting and certainly 'less than ideal', but if you're movements are accurate, your skiing can be as well... just not as easy with a wider ski. Anyhow, Mike has a great ski for his needs, and that's what this thread's all about.

:beercheer:

(FWIW, we do actually have hard snow here... lot's of freeze/thaw at lower elevations on the mountain(s). Last January/ early Feb. was very 'east coast' around Snoqualmie. Fortunately things generally get buried during subsequent storm cycle(s), so it's not a daily seasonal affliction.)

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Mike M you said that the Rally was too much of a ski for you, what length did you demo? If you like the V 10 I can't imagine the Rally being too tuff. I like my Rally's all day and the Titans in the morning but they are a bit demanding in the afternoon but I am over 70 years old.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The Rally was a 170. Very good ski, but more than I wanted to be on all day, five or six days a week.
Yes, a 170 Rally is not for a 155 lbs skier. You might like it in a 155 cm or 160 cm.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually suggested forum members to go out and do a gathering. Whether national or regional. It provides context and eliminates much of the cross talk.

But not trash talk. :beercheer:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mike_m, have you skied with any of us?

Sponsor

Staff online