• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for an 80mm-waisted teaching ski

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
ME: 5' 10", 155 lbs, instructor at Copper. Looking for a little-bit-of-everything, Goldilocks ski I can use 90% of the time, six days a week. There are a number of skis I've tried and liked, but know they are too much for my weight to ski all day, every day (Fischer the Curv, K2 Supercharger, Salomon Bold, Head Rally, for example). When I'm teaching, I'm primarily on groomers (naturally!), but also take folks into crud, bumps, steeps, trees and the NASTAR course.

My days-off ski is a Stockli Laser AX in the 167 length. The shorter length on that ski works really well for me. Keeps it from being too burly, and it's very versatile. I hate to take them out when teaching because I love them too much to get the tips and tails skied over and abused!

So...!

I'll be at the Loveland shop demos in November. On the list to try (with notes from research) are:

Renoun Z77 (174): (Talked to Cyrus. He said they will not be available anywhere to test! That's a problem!)

Renoun Atlas (80 waist): (Sound perfect, desperate to try, but same problem!)

Augment All Mountain 77: (Maybe 7 stiffness? I have to verify availability to demo.)

Liberty V82: (Tried last year, thought they were just OK. Since they've changed this year, I look forward to trying them again.)

Blizzard Brahma 82: (Blizzards are usually too stiff for my weight. I have to be on them all day.)

DPS Foundation 82

DPS Cassair 79 "The Trainer": (Too light? Not great at speed or heavy snow?)

DPS Cassair 82: (Not good on boilerplate?)

Atomic Vantage 82

Salomon S/Force 9 (80 waist): (One layer titanal)

Salomon S/Force 11 (80 waist): (Two layers titanal)

Salomon XDR 84: (Nimble, but too light? Boilerplate hold? Heavy crud?)

Volkl Deacon 80: (Too much rocker for hard-snow grip?)

Volkl Deacon 79: (Different core, partial cap; too intermediate? too much rocker?)

Dynastar 4x4 78 Pro: (Too intermediate if not Pro model?)

Dynastar 4x4 82: (Lots of camber and pop?)

Dynastar 4x4 82 Pro: (Has metal; too stiff for my weight?)

Head V Shape V10 (84 waist): (Supposedly light and responsive, but 84 usually too wide)

Head V Shape V6 (78 waist): (Too light and intermediate when carving at speed?)

Fischer RC One 82 GT: (Too stiff for my weight?)

Any guidance or feedback welcome on these specific skis, especially on my research notes (but only if you have actually tried the ski!). Not interested in skis other than those on the list.

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
We ski the same type of terrain here in CO. So I'm wondering why you're steering the selection toward the ~80mm waist skis for teaching? To me, the ~80mm ski falls into the narrow All-mountain range, wide enough that it slows edge-to-edge speed, but not wide enough to be meaningful for CO all-mountain skiing. What kind of skiing do most of your lessons typically do?

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Noodler: I find approximately 80 in the waist works well for the all-terrain teaching I do.

Request: Can we please keep feedback to the skis on the list? I think there are enough there to choose from!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you would be happy with the Atlas 80 and you can basically demo it under Renoun's 100 day guarantee.

I think @WadeHoliday's love of the Cassair Trainer 78 is a strant testament to that ski.

RCOne 82 is a good option and I think you would enjoy it.

I know you want to stay on yoru list but the Head V8 over both the V6 and V10 is a better option. While it does have a speed limit, for you and what you want I think it's a great option and will not break the bank or kill you if a student crossed over them.

Augment 77, too long of a radius for what you are looking for the ski to do, instruct on...but as a free ski, amaze-balls.

Brahma 82..too stiff.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Mike, the V82 picks up a little more stiffness but not anything revolutionary, more evolutionary but I love that ski. YMMV but there is a little learning curve to those to understand how they like to be skied.

I know you listed a few Soli's but I didnt see the New S Force Bold. that is a fantastic ski. Sorry to add ski's but that, to me is a better tool than the other Sali's.

Head V10 is a blast to ski, I would keep that one on the list for sure. its more on-piste oriented but still versatile. See Phils comments above regarding the V-series. the 8 is decidedly more piste oriented.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I second the Atlas 80. Like @Philpug said, you have the money back guarantee, and that’s as good as it gets.

Maybe I am more fickle than some, but even a daylong demo doesn’t always give me enough info.....what I loved one day may not wow me the next. I took a chance on a pair of Z90’s here from Phil’s garage (no money back guarantee) and have been enamored with them every day I’ve skied on them. In fact, just today, I gave them a longing gander as they hung in my basement.

I would buy an Atlas undemoed and be pretty confident I’d feel the same thing. It is on my wish list.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The Atlas does sound great and I look forward to trying a pair.

In addition, and I am sorry to bring it up as I know this is not on your list, but you might wish to at least try the Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti at 78mm underfoot. Last year it proved to be most surprising and fun ski I have been on in a long time. As I discussed in another post, for me these could easily be made to craft a variety of turn shapes on-piste, from almost slalom tightness to near GS curves. On my feet, they worked well on hard morning snow and were not too bothered by afternoon Spring slush; they were also able to zip nicely through moguls and didn't mind a few inches of fresh snow. They offered a big “sweet spot” and were tolerant of my minor mistakes. While definitely not a true racing ski, they are a fantastic on-piste, all day, all mountain resort ski for me.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I second the Atlas 80. Like @Philpug said, you have the money back guarantee, and that’s as good as it gets.

Maybe I am more fickle than some, but even a daylong demo doesn’t always give me enough info.....what I loved one day may not wow me the next. I took a chance on a pair of Z90’s here from Phil’s garage (no money back guarantee) and have been enamored with them every day I’ve skied on them. In fact, just today, I gave them a longing gander as they hung in my basement.

I would buy an Atlas undemoed and be pretty confident I’d feel the same thing. It is on my wish list.

DITTO... on my wish list too

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
If I went with the Atlas, wouldn't I have to buy a binding, pay to have it mounted, then take it off and be stuck with it if I didn't like the ski? (Unless I sold the whole thing here?!)

(Ron, I tried the Salomon Bold. Too much ski for my 155 lbs. all day-everyday.
DocGKR: Have also tried the Rossi. Very good, but also a bit stiff for my needs.)

Thanks!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
No Head Monster 83 on the list? At a 170cm length that’s 82mm underfoot. I’m not sure of it’s turn radius but suspect it’s a super versatile 16m or so. I ski them and have felt they’d be an absolutely perfect instructor ski

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I went with the Atlas, wouldn't I have to buy a binding, pay to have it mounted, then take it off and be stuck with it if I didn't like the ski? (Unless I sold the whole thing here?!)

(Ron, I tried the Salomon Bold. Too much ski for my 155 lbs. all day-everyday.
DocGKR: Have also tried the Rossi. Very good, but also a bit stiff for my needs.)

Thanks!

Yeah, you have to keep the binding if the ski goes back, but.....

You sending that ski back is a BIG if, IMO
If you do send the ski back and have the binding, why can’t it be mounted on your next ski? Or if not, sell the binding here on Pugski?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow smaller guy who likes to be able to flex a ski at subsonic speeds, I totally hear you.

Request: Can we please keep feedback to the skis on the list? I

As others have pointed out, that list has plenty of very strong skis on it. (I've tried a few of them.) Is that really what you want? From your parenthetical remarks, it doesn't sound like it. Let us know when you open up the gates to other candidates. :)

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know you are insisting on staying with skis on your list, but why did you include the Head V10 and V6 but not the V8? That seems to be the ski in the V-shape line that meets your requirements. Higher performance than the V6 and narrower than the V10.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Mike -

- Option 1: Just purchase whatever on that list you can get the best deal on. As you mentioned, as an instructor your skis get worked. I assume that you've been teaching for a whole / attended tons of clinics, so you can make whatever ski you get do what you want it to do.

- Option 2: Purchase a second pair of AX's,. Money isn't an issue for me, and I have two pair that I rotate weekly. Stockli has great representation in the I70 corridor thanks to Jay.

Enjoy.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Pinnaclejim: I was (am) concerned that the V8 at 75 in the waist might feel too light and narrow when I jump on a given day from teaching groomers/bumps to crud or heavier/deeper snow. I usually find 78+ more comfortable in those conditions. It will be added to the list, however (I'm nothing if not open minded!), and the V6 removed.

Martyg: Yep, that's definitely a possibility. To be honest, though, I'm a gear whore and love an excuse for trying new toys. I love the search for the perfect ski! I found my perfect deeper/soft-snow ski in the Nordica Enforcer 100; my short-turn paramour(s) are the Rossi SL and Kastle RX12 (both in 165 lengths). Now I just want the Goldilocks in the middle!

BMC: I've demoed the Head Monster 83. A bit too much for all day/every day for my 155 lbs.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsor