• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for an 80mm-waisted teaching ski

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Tony, as I mentioned, I've already demoed many skis not on the list, certainly most that would be suggested as substitutes. I test about 25 skis a year. That's why the list is what it is. Thanks!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If I went with the Atlas, wouldn't I have to buy a binding, pay to have it mounted, then take it off and be stuck with it if I didn't like the ski? (Unless I sold the whole thing here?!)

(Ron, I tried the Salomon Bold. Too much ski for my 155 lbs. all day-everyday.
DocGKR: Have also tried the Rossi. Very good, but also a bit stiff for my needs.)

Thanks!

I demoed the S/Bold and I am not surprised you though it was too much. I am much heavier than you and it felt like a tank. Great ski at my weight but still, its very heavy. It was very smooth though and felt indestructible so great to be on it day in day out. Maybe the other models in the S/Force line suit you better. They are just very well made skis that can take a beating.

I think you would love the narrower Kastle MX's (MX74 and the MX84). They are gentle, smooth but still very capable skis that work great all over the hill. But, they might be TOO nice to use them daily.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perhaps a dumb suggestion but why not treat yourself to a new pair of Stocklis for your days off and demote the current pair for teaching?

sounds like the AX checks all the boxes

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Ken_R: Yep, that's why the S/Force 9 and 11 are on the list. Looking forward to trying them. I've demoed the Kastles and liked them, but not quite enough.

BS Slarver: That's certainly an option, but the current AX is stiffer than mine, which is one generation back. (Plus mine are still pristine!)

Anybody in Colorado got a Bold I can try?!

(Heck, maybe I'll just demo the other skis on the list at Loveland in November and if I don't love any, just buy the Bolds and sell them here if they doesn't work for me!)

Thanks!
Mike

Reactions: Ron

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Dynastar speedzone 4×4 pro 82. Versatile. Not difficult to ski.. try some.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The Fischer won’t be too stiff and it’s pretty inexpensive so you won’t feel too bad when someone skis over it.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Thought about BS Slarver's advice above and checked online for some pre-owned Stockli AXs. Found a pair identical to mine with 20 days on them at Powder 7 in Golden, Colorado, 30 minutes away. (Very good shop, by the way. I've dealt with them before.) The skis are mounted with Tyrolia/Head PRD 12 bindings (one of my favorites). Drove up and bought them. They were kind enough to tune the skis and do a torque test free while I waited, then I put them in the passenger seat of the turbo Miata. Got some interesting looks on the road!

$700 total.

Yeah, that worked out OK!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Best!
Mike

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Demo days at Loveland mid-Novemember at Loveland will resolve your question. Don't buy anything you cannot try first.

I cannot provide any info on you list -- mine would be quite different and oriented toward a few brands not on your list.

Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thought about BS Slarver's advice above and checked online for some pre-owned Stockli AXs. Found a pair identical to mine with 20 days on them at Powder 7 in Golden, Colorado, 30 minutes away. (Very good shop, by the way. I've dealt with them before.) The skis are mounted with Tyrolia/Head PRD 12 bindings (one of my favorites). Drove up and bought them. They were kind enough to tune the skis and do a torque test free while I waited, then I put them in the passenger seat of the turbo Miata. Got some interesting looks on the road!

$700 total.

Yeah, that worked out OK!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Best!
Mike
The AX is rarely a bad choice. Good for you.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hi MIke
I'm also lightweight, 5,11, 160, and like a ski that works well at slow to moderate speeds (or teaching speeds)

I do love dps "the trainer". you can see my review here, but it has become my 70% ski, skied lots of funky heavy snow on it. I likes you make it work more then it likes you to twist it, but it's worth a look for sure. Not a budget ski though...!

Cheers,
W

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would just use your AX's for everything. The tops are super tough and they don't scratch easily (if that's your issue), and you know they work perfectly for you. Why would you want to spend extra $ for new skis and bindings when the answer is on your feet? As long as the base and edges are in good shape, the tops are the least of your worries.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Head Titan. Perfect for what you need.

I would like to respectfully disagree. This is too much a performance ski. It is a challenging ski and an instructor ought to be on a ski that can demonstrate easy, flowing technique. I love the Titan but it would not be my choice for teaching. There is another consideration. The 80 underfoot (Titan) does not ski like a typical 80. In soft snow it cuts deep. It likes a little speed.

**Also, teaching on a DPS... what and who do you teach. I think 80 is a good number in a supple ski. You have a lot of skis on that list that should not be. Some fun skis but teaching turns ought to avoid skis that aren't designed to demonstrate clean turns.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I would like to respectfully disagree. This is too much a performance ski. It is a challenging ski and an instructor ought to be on a ski that can demonstrate easy, flowing technique. I love the Titan but it would not be my choice for teaching. There is another consideration. The 80 underfoot (Titan) does not ski like a typical 80. In soft snow it cuts deep. It likes a little speed.

**Also, teaching on a DPS... what and who do you teach. I think 80 is a good number in a supple ski. You have a lot of skis on that list that should not be. Some fun skis but teaching turns ought to avoid skis that aren't designed to demonstrate clean turns.

FWIW, I taught for a couple of seasons on a Titan with NO problems, on piste, off, etc... Sure, some deep days off piste coaching were on something wider, but did my L3 exam on Titans, so skied them about 90% of the time that year leading up to the test days. 3-4 others at our hill teach on and love them, and a friend working at another local mountain just ordered a fresh pair to replace an older Titan as his teaching ski. FWIW, the chairman of PSIA taught on the old white and blue ones, then a newer one, and now is on an iSpeed Pro. We're in the PNW. The common thread is everyone is/was a strong L2 or solid L3. For Mike, if he hadn't bought an AX, given his size, a Rally would rock, which I think he already own a pair that sounds long in the tooth.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Umm yeah you could say that
From a position of experience (you)... I respect that and find it interesting that you are in the PNW with soft snow. The ski is hard charging and a high performance ski. Not a race ski but the ski is powerful. I see many skiers on the Titan here in the east and often these people are over their heads. L2 and L3 obviously would not be over their head on this ski. I prefer this ski with speed. It's not great at skidded turns. I am assuming most instruction is not done in the aggressive mode. So that is where my comments come from.

But your collective experience is valid and I respect that. I see so many instructors on skis a below their level and with a purpose. Yet they free ski in something more substantial. At Jiminy our L3 actually ski like L3s and they can teach. A vast majority of their students are intermediate or so.

I love the iTitan.