• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOK PIVOT to PIVOT or not to Pivot

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, I don’t find them hard to get into at all, and I ski with the lowest DIN I can, with no premature ejectulations so far.

When the bindings are so good that you have think about baseball....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When the bindings are so good that you have think about baseball....
Margaret Thatcher on a cold day ... Margaret Thatcher on a cold day.

I am very surprised to soo so many pigeonholing Pivots as only being for wide skis or park. Yes, while pivots are no longer used on the World Cup, they are still a fine binding on narrower skis and for everyone here that is not on the World Cup. Would I like to see a new brake design? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times. Would I like to see an 85 mm brake? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times. Hopefully we will see these changes coming down the road.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I am very surprised to soo so many pigeon holding Pivots as only beling for wide skis or park. Yes, while pivots are no longer used on the Wrold Cup, they are still a fine binding on narrower skis and for everyone here that is not on the World Cup. Would I like to see a new brake design? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times. Woudl I like to see an 85 mm brake? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times.

Would we like to see wider brakes for the SPX 15? HELL YEAH!
Down with the rotating heels! Off with their heads! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Freeriders: GET OFF MY SNOW!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
IMG_4996.jpeg

TS
S

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier

I am very surprised to soo so many pigeonholing Pivots as only being for wide skis or park. Yes, while pivots are no longer used on the World Cup, they are still a fine binding on narrower skis and for everyone here that is not on the World Cup. Would I like to see a new brake design? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times. Would I like to see an 85 mm brake? Yes, it has been brought to their attention many times. Hopefully we will see these changes coming down the road.
Hi Phil what do you regard as a narrow ski in this context ?
Note all the skis i own currently came with bindings likely on sale.
Only this year have I managed to sort out delta range for myself.
The MX 83 if i go ahead which Tony has made me consider whether there is a better ski for my plans going forwards, would be my first flat ski.
When I bought my MX74's flat was not an option or I would have chosen pivots.
Currently im thinking of using a pair of LX 72's which have the greatest unacceptable play, rarely get skied but are kept for if i ever find moguls, and use these to experience pivots and learn to mount them without as much concern should it get screwed up pardon the pun

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall having 2010'ish Dynastar Course Ti with a plate and Pivots.

Last edited:

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
What Phil said about the 85mm being non existent for Pivots is the #1 reason I'd not put a Pivot on an MX83.

i have a pair of Brahma 88's (waist calipers 86mm) that I did not put Pivots on because I knew I'd be able to drag the brakes. I had put some on some Kendos but when I lay them over as hard as I am able it's in the back of my head that they'll contact and every once in a while they do. If I rail over an off camber knoll for instance, guaranteed I'll "brake out". On the Brahma's, even though my heel DIN is set 2 higher than any of my Pivot heels, it's always in the back of my head that a ski is going to come off. Point? Pivot brakes suck for mid 80 skis.

Until Look puts out an 85 brake I'd not bother on a mid 80 ski. They hang out too far and, because of this and as an added bonus, they look ridiculous. 95 brakes literally hang outboard of the sidewalls of my Kendos. It's embarrassing.

My experience with the 75 brakes is that they can be forced a bit over an 80 waist max. You could tweak them outward a bit to clear more but then the only brake in their line up that actually comes up and in a bit now has arms pointed a bit outward.

I do not get how the geniuses at Look decided a new 105 brake was a good idea. The 95 clears 102 and the 115 looks great on a 108. They need an 85 more than any other.

To the OP: they are bindings. They are trendy AF. Unless you will truly benefit from the heel elasticity pick any other binding. If you've been skiing of late and thought, "I am really not comfortable winding my heels up anymore but holy shit I wished my ski stayed on there..." then get Pivots. Or SPXs. Maybe. I need to know about those but don't. Look says heel elasticity is same as Pivot.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SPX: Have your cake and eat it too!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Spx rockerace > spx gw

The ones with raised heels over the flat ones that inhibit ski flex.

BUT, Look wants them mounted on race plates only. Anecdotally, the kid’s race coachs hate the SPX heels. Broken/cracked housings. They like the PX heels a lot but obviously have no experience with pivots. I have SPX 15s on my FIS SL skis and they have been great.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
S

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
Phil will the Pivot 2 (15) be offered with the 75 brake do you know ?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January