• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOK PIVOT to PIVOT or not to Pivot

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
To those with experience of the LOOK pivot bindings can you say what benefits i might experience and any personal niggles with mounting these or trouble in using them please ?.
I have searched and read what i can about this binding the good and the bad.
Specifically I am asking because i am currently skiing a Kastle MX74 which has like most of my skis a Tyrolia system binding on it. I am liking this ski enough that i am considering buying an MX 83 flat.
This year I concluded a zero or very close to it binding delta is best for me.
The 74 is the widest ski i have been on.
I dislike the movement in some of the systems i own meaning the delay before the ski tips due to slop.
My concerns include whether the lack of stand height will make the wider ski much harder to tip so as to become a serious negative, or whether the other binding attributes outweigh this. I have read some binding plates prevent the flat spot under the boot but am unsure as to the validity of this as others seem to have said the opposite.
I have boot sole lengths currently of 283, 285 and 287 would mounting the binding or swapping between boots be an issue with this binding ?
What other binding would be recommended for this ski keeping the low to no delta in mind from what i can see one of the marker race bindings would be the best if i also want to keep the stand height down

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can find all the binding stats at the top of this page as the 4 major brands have stats listed for each model:

Looks like X-Comp GW and Attack 14 GW have the lowest stand-height for a flat mount.

The Pivot is not friendly to random / frequent BSL adjustment as it involves lengthening or shortening the arms, combined with making sure the forward pressure is correct ( a finnicky process ). Next year the v2 of the Pivot will be available which provides 2x the BSL range, but the same functionality for adjustment.

It's been a long time since I have been on Pivots, but bought some new flat MX88 173 and plan to try Pivot 15 on them to see what all the fuss is about -> a better connection/feel to the snow. I have a friend who ONLY uses Pivots -> they have loyal following.

ALL my skis have a demo or system binding as I am very finnicky on mount point. I like my mount point usually ~0.5cm forward on most skis ( or about 1 notch on a demo binding ) and will mount the Pivots that way.

The Tyrolia Freeflex 14 GW Demo has a low heel stand-height of 21mm. The Freeflex could be your ticket as it is low, has easier BSL adjustability, flex in the track, and is their race'y option.

I think every plate or track these days have some floating screws to provide flex as the ski bends underfoot.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure I'd put a Pivot on the MX83 personally. That ski is a frontside carving oriented ski; demands a plate binding to get the most out of it.

As for carving with a low stand height binding, like the Pivots. I have some Blossom AM85's with Look Pivots and I can carve them very well. That said I didn't buy them carving, I have a ton of other skis that are either race skis or front side carvers for that.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wouldn't put pivots on a ski I want to primarily carve with. If its going to be 60/40 carve heavy, I'm going with a different binding.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 74 is the widest ski i have been on.
I dislike the movement in some of the systems i own meaning the delay before the ski tips due to slop.

1710945503218.gif

Forget the Pivots, get some proper carvers bindings.

Pivots are for those…freeriders…:nono: who like elasticity and rotating heels and stuff…

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I own one set of Pivots and won't be buying another unless they improve the brake design. Whatever safety benefit the rotating heal provides doesn't really make up for the crap brake design.

More information here:

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny thing about Pivots is people fall into two camps with them. They either love them, or hate them. Seems there is very little middle ground.

I am a huge fan of Looks. Of my 5 pairs of skis, 4 of them have Pivots. The other pair is a GS ski that has a system binding on it (Tyrolia).

My measurement of a binding is simple; I don't want to think about it when I am skiing. All five of my skis allow me to ignore my bindings, which I like, but I still prefer the Pivots. Yes, they can carve just fine. Are some better? Maybe, but I am no where near the FIS racer that would allow me to notice the differences between them. I will however state that in my years of skiing, I have torn zero ACL's on Look Pivots (knocks loudly on wood). However, I have torn one ACL (an a lot of other stuff) on Tyrolias. Would the same fall resulted in a problem on the Looks? I am not sure either way, but I feel safer on Pivots, so I buy Pivots when I can. I like elastic travel in a binding, it allows me to ski lower DINs which I very much prefer (I cannot stress this part enough).

I agree, the brake design leaves much to be desired. But in my experience, size down on the brake size, not up with Pivots.

I don't ski multiple pairs of boots, so I don't adjust my bindings for this. I wouldn't want to do this with Look Pivots though. On the other hand, why are you using 3 pairs of boots? Unless you are in a laterally stiff race boot, I would think you will experience more slop in the boot than the binding. I know my Fischer GW boots don't react as quickly as my old Lange race boots, but they sure are better for chasing kids around the base area.

As far as stack height, I find the wider the ski, the lower I like my bindings to the ski. And in today's skis, a mid-80's ski isn't all that wide anyway, so I wouldn't overthink that part of it personally.

Additional thoughts on stack height; if all things were equal, I would consider a Protector binding, but I don't like how high they ride above the ski (on wide skis).

Pivots can be a pain in deep snow to get back on your feet. One you get used to them, you don't really think much about it though.

In all honesty, I wouldn't overthink it.

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can definitely appreciate the safety benefits of the rotating heals.

But the functional problems with both the brakes and step in are still really annoying. Even the tiniest bit of snow on a boot heal is problematic for clicking in more so than any other binding I've used from pretty much any other brand

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Pivots and a lot of other bindings, mostly Attacks now. The Pivots "Feel" like no other binding..... super hard to put into words and quantify. They have their own dimension of "Feel" that no other binding seems to be able to touch.... If my life depends on it, I want my Pivots... My regular mass production skis have whatever binding as they are all really great.

My fav Boutique skis, have Pivots to maximize the "Feel & Flow". :beercheer:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Buy what you like. LOOK are on 70% of my skis because I like them, a lot. Skiing well below my DIN scale number with great retention is a big deal for me. I ski in one pair of boots so no adjustments needed. Stack height and delta work for my skiing.
Make a list of your requirements then find the binding that meets those needs.
And don't over think it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Pivots and a lot of other bindings, mostly Attacks now. The Pivots "Feel" like no other binding..... super hard to put into words and quantify. They have their own dimension of "Feel" that no other binding seems to be able to touch.... If my life depends on it, I want my Pivots... My regular mass production skis have whatever binding as they are all really great.

My fav Boutique skis, have Pivots to maximize the "Feel & Flow". :beercheer:

The feel you are talking about is truly great on fatter skis, I love it on SRs but the OP stated this:

And this is exactly what he will get with Pivots due to…ahem…elasticity…

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The feel you are talking about is truly great on fatter skis, I love it on SRs but the OP stated this:

And this is exactly what he will get with Pivots due to…ahem…elasticity…
No, you shouldn't feel the elasticity or slop skiing in Pivots. The elasticity will be there when you need it; like when you'd release out of another binding when you didn't want to, but would stay in in the Pivots.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Would not recommend pivots for a carving ski, I'm only using them on bump specific skis now. The heel has more flex than other bindings which is not good for carving. The Look SPX 12 with 80 mm brake would be an excellent choice.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would not recommend pivots for a carving ski, I'm only using them on bump specific skis now. The heel has more flex than other bindings which is not good for carving. The Look SPX 12 with 80 mm brake would be an excellent choice.

Exactly!

Make that SPX15 аnd I am with you… :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Except they used to be on Rossi race skis. In fact, for a few years the free riders and park people were getting old Pivots from race skis. And the PX-18 toe used now is the Pivot 15/18 toe.

Very well said. Smooth and concise delivery. Key here being “used to be”… :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never noticed any slop in my P15s. They are on wider skis, but they carve just fine on those. The elasticity isn't something I can feel when I am just skiing along. You only get movement when you are about to release from the ski.

If you want Pivots, get Pivots. The only reason I see to be wary is that you are using three different boots. That could be a pain. You could talk to the shop and see if they mount for the 285 will there be any issue with the 283 and 287. Adjusting Pivots is not as easy as typical bindings.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski pivots with boots with different bsl. It’s not rocket science. Just count and remember the number of turns the first time you go from one BSL to another. After the first time, it’s a quick adjustment. Pivots do have a limited adjustment range though.

TS
S

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you to all who replied sharing their experiences and advise and humour.
Before expanding upon my own views and experiences I must first address Tony Storaro directly !
Pivots, wide ski, carve….one of these don’t belong in a sentence with the other two… :ogbiggrin:
Hi Tony two points first is i advise you my friend to never make assumptions i made no reference to 'carving' and having read God only knows how many posts of yours and laughed a lot I thought you had learnt that any ski with a waist 70+ is a 'fat' ski and is not for carving. Now at what point i would regard as clinically obese I have not yet got the data sufficient to put out a health warning on them ;)
General comment for those who suggest "dont over think it" thank you i get what your trying to say which is linked to just go ski and enjoy it, don't waste too much energy on things which are not critical. However IMO there are those who can go and ski well without thinking about any of it very much, they are lucky like that. For some others it is essential to think about all aspects of their own skiing and there are reasons for this, and i am one of them. Some people have biomechanics which allow great skiing with "off the peg" gear. if you're like me even buying short trousers still results in them dragging on the floor.

For myself i know that unless i had put in the time the money and the considerable effort i would not be able to skis as well. My pleasure in skiing is there when i ski well I am in balance making the turns i wish to make and in control crashes hurt trust me i know and not just from skiing.

History I began skiing age 25 43 years ago, first skis i got injured due to broken bindings (rental. and bad shop attitude actually seriously bad i remember the man even today). Back then i skied 190 slaloms at 163 the gold Dynastars and K2 KVC my favourites. Back then i always thought that the Look pivots and Raichle flexon were the correct gear but always somehow ended up with Salomon SX 91 then 92 and Salomon bindings.

The Look pivots were an itch that never got scratched. I have 'carving' skis not please note Tony the Atomic FIS SL although the ladies version is one of the best/easiest skis i've tried. My 'carvers' include Atomic GS double deck in 166, Head I-speed V3, Head ISL Dynastar Masters slalom. Also as to boots i've used not 3 but 6 pairs this year, always with a reason and always with a learning experience. Four of these are plug boots with various liners added in including atomic foam and zip fit WC, but a Dalbello Krypton 2 also.

Having got to ski this year for the first time at what is now my local to me resort (Bad KleinKircheim) and being much older knowing injuries dont heal quickly any more and with two less than bullet proof knees here we are.

So early season (for me mid Jan) starts with learn or relearn to ski and looking to optimise set up. My aims were up my level, enjoy it more, be kinder to my body and have FUN FUN FUN without injury if possible. The pistes were hard or icy with a lot of sugar from artificial snow. All good and i decided for me the Atomic GS is a great ski, the I-speeds, ISL, Dynastar's were tools to learn with.
I played a lot with base boards but also binding delta. The current conclusion is a flat binding with heel 6mm high boot board is close to being good for me.
Getting the plates shims and especially the necessary longer screws to gas peddle toe pieces or binding tracks on even three pairs of skis was to say the least time consuming and tedious. The Atomics had previously been done at the factory and i also did this for my wifes skis, she is also short with a short BSL and the +8 mm delta on her set up sorry but ridiculous IMO she is now very happy with the addition of new boots also.
The gas peddling varied from 3 - 6 mm due to no consistency with the bindings i have.

I will throw in here that i asked the original questions as to go to a pivot would not be simples for me. None of the local shops carries this binding nor the jig to fit them therefore this would all be on me as a first time mounting bindings.
As the not great season progressed by which i mean low snow fall and higher tempts, i found i was skiing very variable conditions hard perhaps rutted through to sugar the wet the lumpy etc.
In trying the MX skiis in these conditions i found i could ignore the conditions and focus on my skiing entirely which was an eye opener.
Here there looks to be a good amount of area between the pistes which others have clearly skied during good conditions and in looking to next year, and liking the idea of options away from the race tracks were others are again ready take me out from behind the idea of skiing the less populated parts appeals to me.
The MX 83 is available to me at a good price flat or mounted in a 168. Having demoed the Stockle GS 170 and the SX 165? I figure the MX in 168 would be about right. Note I demoed the Stockle's mostly due to reading the threads here liked the GS but less so than my Atomics and thought for me the SX sucked could have been the conditions or tune dunno.

Knowing i can get injured (some of us do more than others by the way, which in my case i put down to laxish ligaments so less joint stability) from a prerelease just as much as from a binding hanging up I tend to ski at the top end of what is acceptable DIN.
All the above brings me to this point. I like the idea of being confident i wont PRErelease and can reduce the DIN setting a little.
I would hope to have settled on perhaps two pairs of boots. 1 pair of plugs for 'carving' and maybe the cabrios for the off piste, but anyway my understanding is that there is a mk 2 pivot coming that has double the adjustment range among other updates.
I am not averse to work as is obvious and do all my own ski work, so i hope that if i wished to change boots this would not become a major issue.
So what remains.
1) concern that i might find these grossly wide fatties (83mm width, yes you are all allowed to laugh at this who ski modified water skis) :huh: would too tax my ability to tip or cause my knees to spit their dummy :doh: in complaint
2) I would likely be on my own for mounting the bindings and to have to learn how to, and buy tools etc
3) i could mess up the mount point, especially if not settled on a boot sole length.

I note the Attack was suggested as having the lowest stand height, thank you but it also has more delta and therefore the toe piece would be raised 4-5mm, the pivot only 1-3mm

In the end the only way for me to know is to try, but figuring out how much the ski would benefit me and what the implications of wider ski with lower stand height would be like is a bit of concern as i have no personal experience to back this up and mounting the binding im nervous however good i am with tools and careful i am about my work to error is human so that would suck big time.

Thanks again to every body for taking the time to share

Sponsor

Staff online