• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOK PIVOT to PIVOT or not to Pivot

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday I ordered some ski mounting tools from Tognar.
If you have some tools at home, the only specialty tools are a 4.1x9.5 drill bit and a 12AB tap. Check out this thread for mounting instructions:

Wo in Österreich kommst du her ?
( both my parents are from near Graz so I love me some leberknödel suppe )

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I have Pivots and a lot of other bindings, mostly Attacks now. The Pivots "Feel" like no other binding..... super hard to put into words and quantify. They have their own dimension of "Feel" that no other binding seems to be able to touch.... If my life depends on it, I want my Pivots... My regular mass production skis have whatever binding as they are all really great.

My fav Boutique skis, have Pivots to maximize the "Feel & Flow". :beercheer:
How do you know it's the binding and not the skis? Have you tried the same skis with Attack bindings?

Not that I doubt you. I have never tested bindings on the same ski. So I wouldn't know if I could ever tell a difference in binding feel. Then again, I don't have Pivots either. All my bindings are either Marker or Tyrolia.

I sure wish there was a way I could "demo" Pivots to see if I feel anything different. I know they have a huge following including a lot of professional skiers so I assume there is something to it

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you to all who replied sharing their experiences and advise and humour.
Before expanding upon my own views and experiences I must first address Tony Storaro directly !

Hi Tony two points first is i advise you my friend to never make assumptions i made no reference to 'carving' and having read God only knows how many posts of yours and laughed a lot I thought you had learnt that any ski with a waist 70+ is a 'fat' ski and is not for carving. Now at what point i would regard as clinically obese I have not yet got the data sufficient to put out a health warning on them ;)
General comment for those who suggest "dont over think it" thank you i get what your trying to say which is linked to just go ski and enjoy it, don't waste too much energy on things which are not critical. However IMO there are those who can go and ski well without thinking about any of it very much, they are lucky like that. For some others it is essential to think about all aspects of their own skiing and there are reasons for this, and i am one of them. Some people have biomechanics which allow great skiing with "off the peg" gear. if you're like me even buying short trousers still results in them dragging on the floor.

For myself i know that unless i had put in the time the money and the considerable effort i would not be able to skis as well. My pleasure in skiing is there when i ski well I am in balance making the turns i wish to make and in control crashes hurt trust me i know and not just from skiing.

History I began skiing age 25 43 years ago, first skis i got injured due to broken bindings (rental. and bad shop attitude actually seriously bad i remember the man even today). Back then i skied 190 slaloms at 163 the gold Dynastars and K2 KVC my favourites. Back then i always thought that the Look pivots and Raichle flexon were the correct gear but always somehow ended up with Salomon SX 91 then 92 and Salomon bindings.

The Look pivots were an itch that never got scratched. I have 'carving' skis not please note Tony the Atomic FIS SL although the ladies version is one of the best/easiest skis i've tried. My 'carvers' include Atomic GS double deck in 166, Head I-speed V3, Head ISL Dynastar Masters slalom. Also as to boots i've used not 3 but 6 pairs this year, always with a reason and always with a learning experience. Four of these are plug boots with various liners added in including atomic foam and zip fit WC, but a Dalbello Krypton 2 also.

Having got to ski this year for the first time at what is now my local to me resort (Bad KleinKircheim) and being much older knowing injuries dont heal quickly any more and with two less than bullet proof knees here we are.

So early season (for me mid Jan) starts with learn or relearn to ski and looking to optimise set up. My aims were up my level, enjoy it more, be kinder to my body and have FUN FUN FUN without injury if possible. The pistes were hard or icy with a lot of sugar from artificial snow. All good and i decided for me the Atomic GS is a great ski, the I-speeds, ISL, Dynastar's were tools to learn with.
I played a lot with base boards but also binding delta. The current conclusion is a flat binding with heel 6mm high boot board is close to being good for me.
Getting the plates shims and especially the necessary longer screws to gas peddle toe pieces or binding tracks on even three pairs of skis was to say the least time consuming and tedious. The Atomics had previously been done at the factory and i also did this for my wifes skis, she is also short with a short BSL and the +8 mm delta on her set up sorry but ridiculous IMO she is now very happy with the addition of new boots also.
The gas peddling varied from 3 - 6 mm due to no consistency with the bindings i have.

I will throw in here that i asked the original questions as to go to a pivot would not be simples for me. None of the local shops carries this binding nor the jig to fit them therefore this would all be on me as a first time mounting bindings.
As the not great season progressed by which i mean low snow fall and higher tempts, i found i was skiing very variable conditions hard perhaps rutted through to sugar the wet the lumpy etc.
In trying the MX skiis in these conditions i found i could ignore the conditions and focus on my skiing entirely which was an eye opener.
Here there looks to be a good amount of area between the pistes which others have clearly skied during good conditions and in looking to next year, and liking the idea of options away from the race tracks were others are again ready take me out from behind the idea of skiing the less populated parts appeals to me.
The MX 83 is available to me at a good price flat or mounted in a 168. Having demoed the Stockle GS 170 and the SX 165? I figure the MX in 168 would be about right. Note I demoed the Stockle's mostly due to reading the threads here liked the GS but less so than my Atomics and thought for me the SX sucked could have been the conditions or tune dunno.

Knowing i can get injured (some of us do more than others by the way, which in my case i put down to laxish ligaments so less joint stability) from a prerelease just as much as from a binding hanging up I tend to ski at the top end of what is acceptable DIN.
All the above brings me to this point. I like the idea of being confident i wont PRErelease and can reduce the DIN setting a little.
I would hope to have settled on perhaps two pairs of boots. 1 pair of plugs for 'carving' and maybe the cabrios for the off piste, but anyway my understanding is that there is a mk 2 pivot coming that has double the adjustment range among other updates.
I am not averse to work as is obvious and do all my own ski work, so i hope that if i wished to change boots this would not become a major issue.
So what remains.
1) concern that i might find these grossly wide fatties (83mm width, yes you are all allowed to laugh at this who ski modified water skis) :huh: would too tax my ability to tip or cause my knees to spit their dummy :doh: in complaint
2) I would likely be on my own for mounting the bindings and to have to learn how to, and buy tools etc
3) i could mess up the mount point, especially if not settled on a boot sole length.

I note the Attack was suggested as having the lowest stand height, thank you but it also has more delta and therefore the toe piece would be raised 4-5mm, the pivot only 1-3mm

In the end the only way for me to know is to try, but figuring out how much the ski would benefit me and what the implications of wider ski with lower stand height would be like is a bit of concern as i have no personal experience to back this up and mounting the binding im nervous however good i am with tools and careful i am about my work to error is human so that would suck big time.

Thanks again to every body for taking the time to share

That’s quite a long read and just to make sure you won’t do anything you will regret later before I finished it, let me say once again: Do not. Put. Pivots. On MX83.

Now let me read it being all happy and content I prevented a sure disaster. :roflmao:

EDIT: As you seem hell bent on getting Pivots, which is alright as they are mighty fine bindings, can I suggest another approach- instead of MX83 you buy a different ski that will be a better match for the bindings. IMHO you will be happier that way.

And yeah, nothing comes close to the explosive energy of the Redster FIS SL. Nothing I have tested I mean.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you know it's the binding and not the skis? Have you tried the same skis with Attack bindings?

Not that I doubt you. I have never tested bindings on the same ski. So I wouldn't know if I could ever tell a difference in binding feel. Then again, I don't have Pivots either. All my bindings are either Marker or Tyrolia.

I sure wish there was a way I could "demo" Pivots to see if I feel anything different. I know they have a huge following including a lot of professional skiers so I assume there is something to it

He is right. I have tried SR95 with both Pivots and Wardens. The feeling of the Pivots is…different.

TS
S

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
That’s quite a long read and just to make sure you won’t do anything you will regret later before I finished it, let me say once again: Do not. Put. Pivots. On MX83.

Now let me read it being all happy and content I prevented a sure disaster. :roflmao:

EDIT: As you seem hell bent on getting Pivots, which is alright as they are mighty fine bindings, can I suggest another approach- instead of MX83 you buy a different ski that will be a better match for the bindings. IMHO you will be happier that way.

And yeah, nothing comes close to the explosive energy of the Redster FIS SL. Nothing I have tested I mean.
Much appreciated you saved me or well at least tried to, however sorry but i dont think i can justify buying a pair of WRT's just to have the pivot experience.
Seriously what is the mismatch with the MX 83 and which ski do you think would make me happier ?
If able i plan to demo Stockli AR ? i think it is with the 84mm waist to satisfy myself about how the wider ski feels

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Much appreciated you saved me or well at least tried to, however sorry but i dont think i can justify buying a pair of WRT's just to have the pivot experience.
Seriously what is the mismatch with the MX 83 and which ski do you think would make me happier ?
If able i plan to demo Stockli AR ? i think it is with the 84mm waist to satisfy myself about how the wider ski feels
If it isn't an FIS SL ski, or a Stockli, Tony isn't going to recommend... ;)

I don't have any experience with the MX83, so I cannot comment on that ski. But if it is a flat ski, the ONLY binding I would put on it is a Look Pivot. I'd probably go for a 12/14 vs a 15 because I like the upward release the toe of those give.

TS
S

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier

I don't have any experience with the MX83, so I cannot comment on that ski. But if it is a flat ski, the ONLY binding I would put on it is a Look Pivot. I'd probably go for a 12/14 vs a 15 because I like the upward release the toe of those give.
Oh I think Tony has been moving towards the light and has more eclectic tastes but could be signs of addiction to anything snow related.
Thank you for the advise I thought the 15 was recommended by Phil for it's metal toe and I thought they all had an upward release of the toe piece.
Are there other considerations between models ? I would be planning to buy the new update pivot 2 unless Tony convinces me to see a therapist

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I have two pairs of MX83s. A 2015 in 173 length with Pivot 14s and a 2016 in 183 with Pivot 15s. I bought both lengths thinking I’d sell one pair when I figured the “correct size” but really like them and find the lengths provide enough of a different experience that I keep both.

I bought both pairs used. The 173s came with the Kastle plates and rebranded Tyrolia bindings. I skied them several times and switched them out for Pivots. I MUCH prefer them in all conditions with Pivots. Gone is the rubbery feeling that the stock set up had. They carve amazingly well with Pivots and also ski bumps well and not-too-deep powder better than they should. My tracks from a couple laps on 173cm mx83s below.

I demoed the MX88 back in 2012 or 2013 when people were raving about them and that rubbery feeling was off-putting. Going back to back with my 2012 Bonafides (with Pivots) I liked the Bones much better.

IMG_2919.jpeg

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Regarding the difference between the 14 & 15, the single pivot 15 toes clear snow better but I have, on occasion, felt that the 15 allows me to click in with a little snow stuck to my boot sole at the afd throwing off the canting. I take a bit more care to clear the soles but it’s easy to notice what is wrong when it happens now that I’m aware. I never feel that on the 12/14.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
All the above brings me to this point. I like the idea of being confident i wont PRErelease and can reduce the DIN setting a little.
This is probably the best reason to get the Pivots. The DIN calculator for me say 9.5, but I ski my Pivot 15s with a 7.5 toe and an 8 heel and have not had a single pre-release. They do what they are supposed to do.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Kastle MX 83 is the proverbial and much loved by people who don’t know any better FAT CARVER…haha…it is a very good frontside ski. It is precise, it is powerful and just begs to be plated and put on its edges.

There is nothing freeride-y about them, nothing that says: Slap Pivots right here —>

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They will feel…slow. Compared to the Redsters FIS SL they will feel…painfully slow edge to edge. :ogbiggrin:

In all seriousness you can do whatever you like, do what your heart says is right. If you want Pivots-by all means go for it, you won’t die that’s for sure.;) But you can probably wait until the new ones are out, they look better.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh I think Tony has been moving towards the light and has more eclectic tastes but could be signs of addiction to anything snow related.
Thank you for the advise I thought the 15 was recommended by Phil for it's metal toe and I thought they all had an upward release of the toe piece.
Are there other considerations between models ? I would be planning to buy the new update pivot 2 unless Tony convinces me to see a therapist

There is a great thread over on TGR that talks about the differences between the two models. 12/14 vs 15/18.

(page 4 has photos showing why the 15 toe doesn't release vertically)

Also, keep in mind, the 12/14 did not get the 2.0 treatment like the 15s did. So if you prefer the look of the new model, you are stuck with the 15, which, really isn't a bad thing.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier

No worries! :beercheer: Good question.... All I can say is.... You just know...... ask @Philpug as he has given the best breakdown in other threads on that special Pivot feel. I've remounted Pivots 14's and 15's on skis that were mounted w/ other bindings.... various Markers, Attacks, and others. After many days doing back to back (same runs, same mtn, similar conditions) comparisons you get accustomed to how a particular binding works w/ a particular ski, and how it integrates into your style. You start to notice the subtle differences especially when you get to the extreme ends of the performance envelope. The Pivots consistently feel different. I have sets of the same exact ski, some I've used w/ Pivots and others w/ other bindings. I do my own mounts so I experiment w/o too much fuss.

FYI... Not sure why, but based on past experience I have MUCH more confidence when launching and dropping stuff on my Pivots vs any of my other bindings. Sorry, I just can't explain that extra level of air mojo feeling w/ the Pivots. They just seem to feel different on landings and inspire confidence for some reason that I cannot put into words. Maybe it's just in my head? :huh:

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Except they used to be on Rossi race skis. In fact, for a few years the free riders and park people were getting old Pivots from race skis. And the PX-18 toe used now is the Pivot 15/18 toe.
^ this. I like pivots . They are going on my MX88’s. Attacks feel similar to me w/ respect to delta - Salomon’s do not. I have no science to back that up

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No worries! :beercheer: Good question.... All I can say is.... You just know...... ask @Philpug as he has given the best breakdown in other threads on that special Pivot feel. I've remounted Pivots 14's and 15's on skis that were mounted w/ other bindings.... various Markers, Attacks, and others. After many days doing back to back (same runs, same mtn, similar conditions) comparisons you get accustomed to how a particular binding works w/ a particular ski, and how it integrates into your style. You start to notice the subtle differences especially when you get to the extreme ends of the performance envelope. The Pivots consistently feel different. I have sets of the same exact ski, some I've used w/ Pivots and others w/ other bindings. I do my own mounts so I experiment w/o too much fuss.

FYI... Not sure why, but based on past experience I have MUCH more confidence when launching and dropping stuff on my Pivots vs any of my other bindings. Sorry, I just can't explain that extra level of air mojo feeling w/ the Pivots. They just seem to feel different on landings and inspire confidence for some reason that I cannot put into words. Maybe it's just in my head? :huh:

For me it is/ was at first a strange and interesting feeling. The differences are subtle yes, but if you follow Robert Plant’s advice and listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last-Pivots make your foot closer to the ski, the whole ski/binding/boot system works more as a whole unit with boundaries between all them blurred and as if something living is connecting your foot to the ski.

BTW in my case all that goodness-SR 95s, Pivots and my perfect boots leads to carelessness and laziness. It is fuzzy and warm and cozy and I fall asleep and then the SRs all of a sudden realize they are real skis with real edges that bite into the real snow and it all results in a really spectacular yard sale… :roflmao: Whereupon I realize Pivots are damn good at releasing just when needed.

jyl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have Pivot 14 on my ARs and - this is a strange complaint I know - find that the arms get scraped up and ding my inside ski edges. Yes I need to move my feet farther apart. It’s all my fault.

That said, I don’t find them hard to get into at all, and I ski with the lowest DIN I can, with no premature ejectulations so far.

Sponsor

Staff online