• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Pivot Criticisms

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
8. I'd like to see the RockerRace with wide brake options. This is the unicorn. It has..
  • The short mount distance of the Pivot for better flex
  • More adjustment range
  • Lower price point

Plus:
  • Large heel elasticity
  • Great adjustment and forward pressure indication hardware (worm-gear)
Anyone mounting these without a plate? I added a Rockerace template if there's interest. Use at your own risk. Verify on a 2x4 first; my measurements could be off.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
6. To quote Boris the Blade "With weight comes reliability". Even though the metal bindings might be slightly heavier to carry, the short mount and low rotational/unspring weight actually allows the binding to ski lighter. I would have more confidence skiing in a 25 year old Look (all metal) Z or early gen 15/18 (including Salomon Equipe/Racing) than almost all Delrin housed other 14/16's on the market. These just feel tired.
Boris the Sneaky F***kin' Russian

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
2) We used to just twist out of turntable heels, no poking at them with a pole. My knee injuries make this tougher. The little metal cup like on the PX would be a nice upgrade. In the mean time, to minimize damage, just put light pressure from your pole and pull up with your heel, just enough to free it. Dont push the dildo all the way down with your pole. Use your free boot to do the other side. Then, pick up your skis and cock the heels with your hand.

Have any of you tried a dab of acrylic adhesive and a piece of old MTB tire instead of metal cup? Replaceable with a pair of scissors and some nail polish remover; enough grip and the pole tip won't skitter?

*Admits to actually being flexible enough to do his Pivots by hand, but anyway.*

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have never pre-released skiing a Pivot. I flip my pole and use the handle to open them without marring. Not hard at all. Pivots are so easy to step in if the turntable is aligned. I have two Rossi Axial 3 (pre and post GW) on my other skis and the metal cup is nice, but they are harder to step into at the same DIN.

Thanks for the tip, @silverback.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus:
  • Large heel elasticity
  • Great adjustment and forward pressure indication hardware (worm-gear)
Anyone mounting these without a plate? I added a Rockerace template if there's interest. Use at your own risk. Verify on a 2x4 first; my measurements could be off.

Keep going in the smaller direction. :) Also request Marker XCell template. This is a great public service, btw.
Screenshot_20210308-174821_Chrome.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski about 100 days per year, 30-50 of them in powder
Forget bindings. Where do you live?

I have PX15’s and would consider the Pivot 15 as the best alternative. The biggest issue I find with brakes Looks or any other manufacturer is that they bind with and dirt or moisture.
The issue with the Pivot brakes is their design. They're like brakes from 1980: better than safety straps. The arms have a primitive and inadequate travel path.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep going in the smaller direction. :) Also request Marker XCell template. This is a great public service, btw.

Thanks. Does XCell == XComp == TPX? Just need to get my hands on a binding. Or you or someone else can measure the hole positions and I can add it to the generator. I also want to get Marker Piston-Plates measured.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does XCell == XComp == TPX?
Not knowledgeable enough to answer this properly. I think the heel may be the same for all three but the TPX toe is different.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This reminds me of any Campy thread on a bike forum......

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :roflmao:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I haven't seen in this thread is reference to how the Pivots allow for a more integrated feel. It feels like you are "In" the ski rather than "On" the ski. It's really hard to describe but they definitely feel different as compared to just about any other binding I've skied. You can feel the flex of the ski more intimately w/ Pivots....... Yes your Ski Sex is better w/ Pivots! :beercheer:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. Does XCell == XComp == TPX? Just need to get my hands on a binding. Or you or someone else can measure the hole positions and I can add it to the generator. I also want to get Marker Piston-Plates measured.
All of these have the same heel pattern. The XCell has the same toe pattern as a Royal binding. The X-Comp & TPX have a 3 hole pattern.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marred up my brand new Pivot 15 FORZA 2.0 with my pole first time getting out... was very disappointed there was no metal cup... all metal binding, should at least have metal cap to protect the paint job!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
... The biggest issue I find with brakes Looks or any other manufacturer is that they bind with and dirt or moisture. ...

Do you carry skis on a ski rack or inside the car or rooftop box? I keep mine inside and almost always wipe them down when I come home. I've never had any binding or dirt issues.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been a Pivot devotee for a number of years. Piggybacking off of the comment from @Yo Momma, they just seem to have a better feel on the ski. I'm convinced I can feel them flex as I ski. I also have a pair of skis mounted with PX12s. The feel is different.

Now the problem... I've had the metal "ring" on the back plate sheer off and break while skiing. This has happened two times, most recently skiing Beaver Creek in early Feb. I sunk a right turn in deep snow at a pretty good speed and came out with no left ski. It was a painful experience. The other time this occurred was March 2019 after hitting a medium size jump. The landing was fine, but the next turn sent me tumbling with binding parts scattered on the snow.
20190312_095005.jpg

These incidents were on Pivot 14s from approximately 2016. I'm not sure the metal toe piece that come with the 15s and 18s will make a difference, but I have a pair of 15s waiting for me to pick up at the post office. I had to find them online as my local shop is out of stock and unable to get additional stock. I'll report on the packaging when I pick them up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsor

Staff online