• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Pivot Criticisms

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Pivots are so bad I’m going to ski them till they break.

The adjustment I’ve never learned. I did lend a ski with a pivot 18 on it to someone going to Colorado. I told him to take it to a shop to get it adjusted. It’s a bit of a black art.

Everyone has their own Pivot algorithm. Mine is to adjust until the forward pressure spring starts to engage when you set the boot in before stepping down. Lock in the boot and then grab the clamp to try to rotate the heel piece. At this point it should be too loose. Take out the boot, go 1 click forward, then try again. Repeat until the force to rotate the heel is "significant". Check the forward pressure indicator. As a spot check, set the boot in the binding, but don't step down: the boot should move the heel piece back about 1.5mm against the forward pressure spring.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
8. I'd like to see the RockerRace with wide brake options. This is the unicorn. It has..
  • The short mount distance of the Pivot for better flex
  • More adjustment range
  • Lower price point
This. Shout it!

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
I wish to ask a serious question. First let me say I always "fancied " the Look bindings maybe 40 years ago as to me way back then I thought the turntable heel seemed like the safest idea or approach.
This Year I bought a pair of Dynastars Masters SL skis with my first pair of Look bindings on them which I hope to ski today for the first time, but this is not the turntable binding.
I get to watch a lot of ski racing on TV and have noted now i think three times a racers appears to have their ski detach for no OBVIOUS reason and each time they were on Rossignol skis with Look bindings.
Given what I hear about great elasticity can somebody educate me as to what is "likely" happening in these cases ?
I presume these racers are on skis with plates and the bindings they use are not the turntable heel
I am interested in the number of people who seem to love their turntable heels and can feel a benefit to the way their skis perform.Lastly I move between boots lowest BSL is 282 highest is 287 with 283 and 285 in between, am I correct that adjusting between these would require different arms ?
Appreciate what i can learn from those in the know

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you will hate life if you adjust between all thoose BSL, but mounted correctly its just adjustments, no different arms or mountin.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wish to ask a serious question. First let me say I always "fancied " the Look bindings maybe 40 years ago as to me way back then I thought the turntable heel seemed like the safest idea or approach.
This Year I bought a pair of Dynastars Masters SL skis with my first pair of Look bindings on them which I hope to ski today for the first time, but this is not the turntable binding.
I get to watch a lot of ski racing on TV and have noted now i think three times a racers appears to have their ski detach for no OBVIOUS reason and each time they were on Rossignol skis with Look bindings.
Given what I hear about great elasticity can somebody educate me as to what is "likely" happening in these cases ?
I presume these racers are on skis with plates and the bindings they use are not the turntable heel
I am interested in the number of people who seem to love their turntable heels and can feel a benefit to the way their skis perform.Lastly I move between boots lowest BSL is 282 highest is 287 with 283 and 285 in between, am I correct that adjusting between these would require different arms ?
Appreciate what i can learn from those in the know
I can’t comment on what the racers are using,cosmetically the 14 and down toe is looks very similar to the 15 and up toe on quick glance. It is not practically as has wings that release compared to the 15’s that rotates.

I’ve had both and from an aggressive strong skier its easy to pop the toes on 14’s, as they release suddenly at a very specific point in all directions (for strong skiers this can come when you need that hold the most), I see it as an hold or nothing setup. On the 15’s it gradual and as long as you are still in it will re-center and pull you in. I can set my 15’s lower on the toe without fear of early release (unexpected release). 14’s I had to crank it up, defeating the other advantages.

Second thing (pet peeve), plastic....know its light but it breaks and gives. Neither of these properties instill confidence in me. Give me metal (weight doesn’t matter) if it ever fails, other things likely already have too. Secondly it doesn’t flex.

This is why I ski PX15’s at the botton range given age, ht and wt at a 3+ setting, PX14’s needed to be at 3+++ just not to early release.

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
I can’t comment on what the racers are using,cosmetically the 14 and down toe is looks very similar to the 15 and up toe on quick glance. It is not practically as has wings that release compared to the 15’s that rotates.

I’ve had both and from an aggressive strong skier its easy to pop the toes on 14’s, as they release suddenly at a very specific point in all directions (for strong skiers this can come when you need that hold the most), I see it as an hold or nothing setup. On the 15’s it gradual and as long as you are still in it will re-center and pull you in. I can set my 15’s lower on the toe without fear of early release (unexpected release). 14’s I had to crank it up, defeating the other advantages.

Second thing (pet peeve), plastic....know its light but it breaks and gives. Neither of these properties instill confidence in me. Give me metal (weight doesn’t matter) if it ever fails, other things likely already have too. Secondly it doesn’t flex.

This is why I ski PX15’s at the botton range given age, ht and wt at a 3+ setting, PX14’s needed to be at 3+++ just not to early release.

Good info thanks especially I did not know about the different toe mechanisms and how they work, if i get the chance ill go the 15 route

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
How hard is it to adjust the pivots between two BSL's that are 5mm apart? We talking like an hour, or a few minutes?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
How long does it take you to turn 4 screws about 4 rotations? You should be able to do it in less than a minute per ski.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
How long does it take you to turn 4 screws about 4 rotations? You should be able to do it in less than a minute per ski.
Oh snap, its that easy? And here I was thinking about shying away from the Pivots because I was going to have two different BSL's. Thanks fella's.

Side question, anyone with pivot experience have an opinion on how much you can bend the brakes to fit a ski? I'm wondering if I can put 95's on my 100 Wailer RP's.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Side question, anyone with pivot experience have an opinion on how much you can bend the brakes to fit a ski? I'm wondering if I can put 95's on my 100 Wailer RP's.
No problem.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh snap, its that easy? And here I was thinking about shying away from the Pivots because I was going to have two different BSL's. Thanks fella's.

95 on 100 might even fit with 0 bending, I have it on justis, was no bending needed, but snug.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd bet the the pivot 18s are the most skied on bindings in the Freeride World Tour...the weight (18 and 15 have the metal toe), elastic travel, reliability and lack of pre-releasing in high consequence/risk terrain is why the folks ride these bindings. It is for these same reasons the hard core types demanded Look to bring the binding back.

The Looks/Rossis on the WC are not pivots, they are the newish SPX/Rockerace with a different heel.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m a fan and have them on all my skis that don’t require a system binding. My wish list enhancement would be the brakes since they seem to be the weak link from a durability perspective and much more costly and complex compare to other bindings. Not sure how they’d solve it with current design but....

James

Out There
Instructor
These are some of the skinniest skis made. Look manages to put brakes on them.
EF49940A-1981-4E83-BFD9-B349BCE1C523.jpeg

Michael Kingsbury, Tremblant couple years ago.

A3F4D52F-CA9C-4971-BB93-2C9611B3D23C.jpeg

43AB5F47-3FAB-4457-B285-43A5D35B674F.jpeg

Kingsbury in Kazakstan the other day.

As to the Rockerace, we’ll see. I have one on order. My Rossi Axial3 15c binding on a Rossis Masters ski is the worst I’ve ever encountered stepping in. Not enough words to express how much I hate it. Binding people seem to dismiss it as no big deal, but if there were any choice I’d take it. If I had known it before hand, I would have taken the Rossi plate off, put on a Marker Piston, and live happily ever after. That’s how bad it is.

In contrast, my older Look PX14 Race has no such problems.
#LookMakingThingsWorser

My Head B3 is 313mm. Maybe the sole plastic is too soft, the boot is not. Smaller boots may actually be better, the opposite of Griffon. idk. If you had to get in in powder you’d be in rough shape.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I think those are the 75mm brakes.

If you have din set high on rokerrace bindings and cannot get in, try instering your toe and pull the tip off the ground and use the leverage of the ski tail to click them in. Very little force required.

@Jeronimo To adjust for your different boot sizes:

How-to-adjust-Rossignol-FKS-Heel-Piece.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the Deer Valley World Cup. Pivots galore. I would venture to say 95% plus of the competitors were skiing Pivots (and IDone and Full Tilts)
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4559.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpeg
IMG_4564.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online