• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Also interesting that the production version is navy blue and not black like the protos Kevin skied.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why do they call it vacuum when they use an air pressure bag to mold the shell to the skier? I guess the marketing VP has seniority over the engineering VP. Anyway, Fischer continues to make good stuff.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Why do they call it vacuum when they use an air pressure bag to mold the shell to the skier? I guess the marketing VP has seniority over the engineering VP. Anyway, Fischer continues to make good stuff.

Fischer Vacuum is a marketing/technology term that they have used long before the boots came to market. They were capitalizing on that awareness I guess. Plus the "Fischer Pressure" doesn't really work now, does it? ;)

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier

They vacuum fit the Fischer liners in my boots to my feet, before molding the shells, but I’m not sure that’s standard procedure. So they basically molded the boot to a vacuumed foot/liner.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kevin, or others, how much chatter do these boots transmit to the legs? More or less or about the same as the usual polyurethane boots like the Heads? Some of the light weight plastics absorb less vibration therefore transmit more than PU.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kevin, or others, how much chatter do these boots transmit to the legs? More or less or about the same as the usual polyurethane boots like the Heads? Some of the light weight plastics absorb less vibration therefore transmit more than PU.

I haven’t noticed any chatter compared to my Head Raptors. The Podiums have felt very connected since I’ve been in them. Superb snow feel and ultra responsive.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: I have 10 more days on the Podiums this season. I had A Racers Edge in Breck redo the vacuum process at the start of this season because I switched to ZipFit liners midway through last season. Getting the vacuum process done was simple and quick. It took out a little room from the original molding with the stock liners. Performance has increased noticeably. The stock liner for this boot is top-notch and skis extremely well. The only reason I went to ZipFit is because they're like a security blanket for me. I've been in Zips so many years that anything else feels foreign.

The shell durability is holding steady with no signs of wear. I'm amazed at how well this shell handles a variety of temperatures and changes throughout the day. The shell doesn't get too squishy or stiff.

James

Out There
Instructor
Getting off tough?
How’s the fwd lean on that boot?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
James which boot are you in? I have found the Podiums so much easier to get on than my old Dobies. The hair-dryer is officially retired. Even on sub-zero days. I can even take them off and put them back on while cold. I have no idea how this works.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the Fischer I had was a Franken boot of a plug and a vac with a Dobie liner. Rep made the shells then abandoned them at the shop. I was surprised that getting it off was almost as bad as a Lange zc. Worse, if that diabolical thin spoiler edge caught the liner and held on. Then you were trapped. Even taping that sometimes failed.

The current Head B3 is just normal pluggy. Heavy! Never used a hair dryer.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting off tough?
How’s the fwd lean on that boot?

Not really. I can’t just walk in, plop down and pull them off, but by the time @SkiNurse arrives with the first beer, they’re good to go. My Raptors took 30-45 minutes to warm enough to get off.

I have zero issues with the forward lean. The Podiums have been comfortable to ski and stand in (while @Chris Geib tells me to take two weeks off then quit) since I’ve been in them.

Swiss-RC4

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
They can be vacuumed at either 14 or 17 degrees of forward lean - you choose.
How does that exactly work? I tried the Fischer RC4 Podium 140 on yesterday and the boot felt almost spot on not even vacuumed. But I couldn't find a possibility to adjust the forward lean? Or do you mean the calf spoiler?

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The machine allows two settings for forward lean based on the position of a bar against which the person leans his shins during the vacuum process. The boots are, of course, soft and malleable at the beginning and set into the selected lean angle as they cool.

Swiss-RC4

Skier
Thank you for the explanation. I was surpised how well the Podium GT fits. After I've seen this minimal liner I thought that could be a pain without proper fitment. Maybe I can downsize from a 29.5 to a 28.5 due this thin liner. I found there was much more space in length compared to other 29.5 ski boots I own. A big toe punch on the 28.5 Podium GT shouldn't be a big deal.

Swiss-RC4

Skier
Today I bought the Fischer Podium 140 GT and did the vacuum fitting. I could downsize from a 29.5 to a 28.5 shell. I will test these boots soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_202758.jpg
    IMG_20191217_202758.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 35

Swiss-RC4

Skier
I guess I have to let some 5th metatarsal modifications made to the boots. I can already feel a pressure at home there. Due the sheel is quite thick there the vacuum process did not sort this out. Is it better to grind or punch the vacu plast shell in this area?
IMG_20191221_150453.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I have to let some 5th metatarsal modifications made to the boots. I can already feel a pressure at home there. Due the sheel is quite thick there the vacuum process did not sort this out. Is it better to grind or punch the vacu plast shell in this area?
View attachment 87922
We hyst worked on @Stephen's 140's. Punching was not an issue and pretty straight forward. Lower heat for a shorter time than PU though, be careful.

Sponsor

Staff online