• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They were off but not significantly but enough to be corrected.

I can tell you the factory grind on the V82 I skied was pretty bad. Thank goodness the day was sugar and loose granular. Full hard snow I would have switched skis. The dealer shop I got it from said it's par for the course right now from Liberty.
One can always hope.
So apart from taking it to a shop how can you tell if the base and edge angle are off? When looking at base structure what am I looking for to determine if it’s no good?

James

Out There
Instructor
Basically the base is not flat, not flat in the right place, is a combo of concave and convex, who knows; the base bevels are inconsistent, or the edges are higher than the base. Sometimes all of the above. Structure itself is sort of a non issue.
You need a true bar and a back light source.
Maybe @Primoz has suggestions for checking new skis. I suspect his skis generally come with worldcup level tunes though, not from a consumer store.

In general, skis are better finished than several years ago, but they're's still big problems. Ten years ago most Heads were atrocious.

The one V82 I had you had to throw it on edge. Then throw it to the next edge. And I mean throw. A real pain for six hours, but not a bad excercise. I've had worse, much worse, but hard snow would have made it really bad.
Note that Ron skis Steamboat's Champagne Powdertm which even when compressed turns into a decent sparkling wine. ogsmile
If you have a good tuning shop that you trust, take the new skis there before mounting imo.

Last edited:
TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the 3SQ is currently out of the question, but that would normally be my recommendation. Personally I find very little.difference between a high 70's skis and a low 80's ski. I just don't see much difference in more versatility, but rather more of a.drop off in tighter carving performance moving to most skis in the low 80's. Note that I have not.skied either of the skis in question.

Be honest with yourself about what kind of conditions and terrain you're mostly going to get this ski into. A low 80's ski isn't really an all-mountain ski in the West if you're venturing into softer snow areas.
If a 3SQ was an option I’d add a rec SL carver and a 90mm all-mountain jack of all trades to my powder ski. However, getting the new ski this season will raise any eyebrow so the finance committee would surely reject a request for 2 pairs of skis. I’ve been skiing my 72mm and 80mm waisted skis as my daily drivers in the west on pretty much all terrain all over the VR front range quad of mountains. Unless there’s been 4 or more inches of new snow I’ve haven’t felt a need for anything wider. I got the 80mm ski to replace to 72 but found myself liking the 72 more in most conditions. It was just more fun. It didn’t do very well in 4-6” of crud like what it’s typically found in the Back Bowls. The 80mm ski wasn’t great in those conditions since it was was too light and too soft. Sadly, the 72 is at the end of its usable life. It sounds like the VMT82 in 165cm fits the terrain I ski, how I ski and is the best balance of what I’m looking for. What could possibly go wrong?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Note that Ron skis Steamboat's Champagne Powdertm which even when compressed turns into a decent sparkling wine. ogsmile
If you have a good tuning shop that you trust, take the new skis there before mounting imo.

While all of this IS true, I had LSS check them first and let me know how accurate the Factory tune was; while not perfect, it was certainly better than my last pair of Kastle's and no worse than my Lasers. They were acceptable out of the wrapper but I tend to be OCD about my skis and bikes...... OK, most things, I am obsessed with making "things" work at their peak performance or efficiency. Ask my employees. :).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask my employees.
10' 24 Plait Red and Black.jpg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
No, far from it. I am constantly developing systems and looking for ways to improve their work environment to improve productivity. Some people don’t like change though. I had to fight them to use two monitors and no one wanted headsets for their phones and only 2 would eve; try standup desks. They do love Reese’s though.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If a 3SQ was an option I’d add a rec SL carver and a 90mm all-mountain jack of all trades to my powder ski. However, getting the new ski this season will raise any eyebrow so the finance committee would surely reject a request for 2 pairs of skis. I’ve been skiing my 72mm and 80mm waisted skis as my daily drivers in the west on pretty much all terrain all over the VR front range quad of mountains. Unless there’s been 4 or more inches of new snow I’ve haven’t felt a need for anything wider. I got the 80mm ski to replace to 72 but found myself liking the 72 more in most conditions. It was just more fun. It didn’t do very well in 4-6” of crud like what it’s typically found in the Back Bowls. The 80mm ski wasn’t great in those conditions since it was was too light and too soft. Sadly, the 72 is at the end of its usable life. It sounds like the VMT82 in 165cm fits the terrain I ski, how I ski and is the best balance of what I’m looking for. What could possibly go wrong?

This is great information and I think that it will lead to some additional thoughts/suggestions from the forumites. I think the question boils down to the hardpack performance of the VMT82. To that end, I would go with @Ron 's thoughts. If it is a decent carver and you have the skills to take advantage of its assets, then by all means, choose the 82.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know my 115mm ski is a bit excessive but I got a great deal on them through our local elementary school action so couldn't pass it up. A 10-something ski paired with a mid 70s carver is probably more practical 2SQ for CO resort skiing.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I know my 115mm ski is a bit excessive but I got a great deal on them through our local elementary school action so couldn't pass it up. A 10-something ski paired with a mid 70s carver is probably more practical 2SQ for CO resort skiing.

I'm not sure if I'm indicative of typical CO skiers, but I have way more time on <80mm skis than above. If a skier actually has the option to choose from a quiver of skis of various widths, then I would think that more often than not, the narrower ski is actually more appropriate for many days. Of course the snow fall for the season will impact this, but across good seasons and bad, for me the narrower skis usually have the highest frequency of use. I've also noticed since coming back to skiing, after a long absence, that narrower skis seem to be having a bit of a "revival" after many years of a "wider and wider" mentality.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The question is..what is his "safe word"?

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you get one yet? If not, let me know as a local shop/dealer has some left and prices are good. However, the season window is closed, but not completely yet.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I contacted Liberty directly to ask their opinion about which ski they thought would be a better fit for me. Tim Dyer, their national sales manager, replied to me promptly and we exchanged a few emails below. I'm impressed with Liberty's willingness to communicate with me directly and desire to help. Below are Tim's replies to my emails. Sounds like either the 76 or 82 would work well but based on Tim's comments I'm leaning towards the 76 in 165cm.

Tim: Thank you for showing interest in Liberty Skis. I actually was the product manager at Fischer at the time when the Progressor was released. That was an awesome ski! As for the V series skis I would pick the 76 waist just a bit in front of the 82. This ski will make that quick agile slalom ski which will be great in the bumps and trees. Demoing the product is tough for a couple reasons. One being most shops sell off their fleet by this time of the season and secondly the ski is only a year old and shops are still realizing how great of a product this is. I think the 165 is also the proper size after seeing what else you are skiing on. Please feel free to reach back out if you have more questions and have a great spring.

Me: Thanks for your quick reply. What a coincidence with the Fischer Progressors. Since this is essentially going to be my daily driver can you comment on the differences between the 76 and 82 performance in say up to 6” of fresh snow/crud/day after leftovers especially in off piste terrain? In anything more than 6” I’ll ski my fatties. Also, how’s the 82 in the bumps? I realize there’s going to be a bit of a trade off and am trying to determine what sacrifice to make.

Tim: The sub 6 inch day would not make me change my ski choice too much between the 76 and 82. 6mm's in the waist will not make a huge difference in the storm day conditions. The 82 will be a better all around every day ski only by a hair. In bumps the 82 performs very well and is pretty close to the 76 in the variable ski conditions. I have found the 76 to be best for edge hold and quick transitions. The 82 is more of a full day ski everywhere ski mainly because of waist width and a touch longer turn radius. The radius of the 179 V76 is 15 meters and the radius of the V82 179 is 16.5 meters so a longer turn. I hope this answers your questions and as always feel free to reach back out with any other questions.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
@Prosper I had the pleasure of meeting and skiing with Tim, he's as genuine in person as he is in writing. I skied the V76 172cm, on and off piste. It was a remarkable combination of strong and playful, and as good off piste as on. It is at the top of my list to replace my Blossom White Out when that wears out.

Also, good job researching all this; the fact that you actually kept the Nrgy through 4 years of mediocrity tells us you keep your stuff for a while. There's nothing wrong with exhausting every avenue of info gathering before pulling the trigger in a long term relationship!

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @FairToMiddlin. The White Out is a ski that I was considering as well. Yes I tend to do a lot of research before purchases that are likely to have a significant effect on my quality of life, like skis. I’m still thinking 165cm is the better length for me given how I like to ski but am thinking of the 172cm to add a little more versatility. I’m guessing there’s no real drop off in edge to edge quickness between the two and the only difference is turn radius. However it sounds like the V76 is pretty capable of making many turn shapes. Any thoughts?

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm 5'6" 150lbs, 48yo, mid level 8 to level 9 (on a really good day), ski all terrain at moderate to fast speeds with modern technique. I'm an EpicLocal pass holder and ski 20-30 days a season. My preference is rapid fire SL type turns but do like to open it up at times with big, swooping, high speed railroad arcs. I

Well you've heard from the owner and Ftm, can't get much better. 76 is the lead horse. I think that's good.
165 or 172? That's the question. I posted your stats because we forget.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I think you would be delighted with the 165, it is something I have accused the shorter White Outs of, as being an ‘easy SL’. FIS/rec SL sidecut, with an all mountain width and flex. I’m 185 and 5’10”, and I thought the 172 was as short as I would go for a daily driver that can handle on/off piste (which is slightly hypocritical, because I probably spend most of my time on 165 SLs, even here in CO). The 2020 version of VMTs add a stringer of titanal (from 2 to 3), so a bit more stability. As Phil would say ‘you’ve struck oil, stop drilling.’

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid