• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's Talk Kitchen Knives & Sharpening

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@zircon , did you ever get that Chinese vegetable cleaver?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
@zircon , did you ever get that Chinese vegetable cleaver?
So this kicked my memory..somebody actually gifted me one of these..I've hardly used it though...
1659840581704.png

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So this kicked my memory..somebody actually gifted me one of these..I've hardly used it though...
View attachment 174801

We had a knife like that when I was growing up. The only kitchen knife in the family.
I remember my Grandmother sharpening it on the unglazed bottom of a bowl prior to slaughtering the chickens.
Indestructible.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We had a knife like that when I was growing up. The only kitchen knife in the family.
I remember my Grandmother sharpening it on the unglazed bottom of a bowl prior to slaughtering the chickens.
Indestructible.
Your Grandmother was a smart person using the bottom of a bowl. People pay a lot of money for fancy ceramic sharpeners and she found one on her own kitchen. The bottom of a coffee cup is also sometimes unglazed and makes a good sharpening tool, I have been using the coffee cup trick for years.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She make do with what she had. Very much like the generations that came before.
Those old gals were tough and resourceful. Often don't get enough credit.

scott43

Skier
She make do with what she had. Very much like the generations that came before.
Those old gals were tough and resourceful. Often don't get enough credit.
S'trewth. To be honest, I'm afraid to use that cleaver...could easily lose a digit in no time...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My knife sharpener uses diamond stones, so I guess I should use the bottom of my coffee cup for my skis?:roflmao:
Only on the flat edge not the side edge, it would be too difficult to maintain a correct side angle.:)

Muleski

Inactive
We spent the weekend with our daughter and her BF, at their home. They are very smart about how they spend their money. He’s talented carpenter/builder and she’s a marketing exec who loves her Carhartt overalls and their shop....and garden. Both exNCAA racers, BTW.

We did a bunch of grilling on their Weber grill, which he bought at the roadside for $35. Looks brand new now. So, they are pretty good cooks and have some really great pieces to work with. We were all in the kitchen and chopping/cutting away. First, they keep their kitchen tools clean, and knives sharp.

My wife was using an old { 50+ years} Dexter 10” Chef’s knife with a carbon steel blade. Wooden handled. She asked when that came from. “Gramps gave it to me when I got my first apartment and taught me how to take care of it.....” Thinking how did that escape us. They have two sets of those goofy colored Cuisinarts that @Andy Mink posted above. Pretty darn useful and effective for zero money....at Costco.

But the knifes that really impressed me....just a decent all purpose tool for no money at all we’re two Mercer Millenia models. I think they are less than $20 on Amazon. I do not know how long they hold an edge. These were sharp and my hand liked them. I bet some would think the handles are too big.

We were all joking about friends who have some great but neglected expensive kitchen “stuff.” These guys have acquired some, now, really nice vintage cast pans. That looked rough when then got them. My favorite is a great Wagner....which my wife found for them. $5.

Very well equipped kitchen for very short money.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We spent the weekend with our daughter and her BF, at their home. They are very smart about how they spend their money. He’s talented carpenter/builder and she’s a marketing exec who loves her Carhartt overalls and their shop....and garden. Both exNCAA racers, BTW.

We did a bunch of grilling on their Weber grill, which he bought at the roadside for $35. Looks brand new now. So, they are pretty good cooks and have some really great pieces to work with. We were all in the kitchen and chopping/cutting away. First, they keep their kitchen tools clean, and knives sharp.

My wife was using an old { 50+ years} Dexter 10” Chef’s knife with a carbon steel blade. Wooden handled. She asked when that came from. “Gramps gave it to me when I got my first apartment and taught me how to take care of it.....” Thinking how did that escape us. They have two sets of those goofy colored Cuisinarts that @Andy Mink posted above. Pretty darn useful and effective for zero money....at Costco.

But the knifes that really impressed me....just a decent all purpose tool for no money at all we’re two Mercer Millenia models. I think they are less than $20 on Amazon. I do not know how long they hold an edge. These were sharp and my hand liked them. I bet some would think the handles are too big.

We were all joking about friends who have some great but neglected expensive kitchen “stuff.” These guys have acquired some, now, really nice vintage cast pans. That looked rough when then got them. My favorite is a great Wagner....which my wife found for them. $5.

Very well equipped kitchen for very short money.
Cast iron is cheap! :thumb:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Only on the flat edge not the side edge, it would be too difficult to maintain a correct side angle.:)

Clamp the coffee cup to a side edge guide and you are good to go.

One of these should be good.

1659981269571.png

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Clamp the coffee cup to a side edge guide and you are good to go.

One of these should be good.

View attachment 174920
I use these when I do epoxy repair on my skis.

I just realized I have usually transitioned to black coffee by the time I head to the basement to tune and wax my skis so I think I got this covered.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh it was Kobe beef. $275 6oz steak. That was ten years ago. They brought the ketchup in a ceramic container with a lid. I was mortified. However.. who am I to say?? Whatever floats your boat..

Mesmerizing.That’s some large garlic slices. No ketchup, but wasabi and salts?
Looks like that Olive Wagyu was 13,240 yen for 200gms, 7 ozs in 2020. Roughly $100.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest, I'm afraid to use that cleaver...could easily lose a digit in no time...

Knives are like skis. They needed to be respected but not feared. Fear and hesitation while on skis skiing or using a knife generally leaded to undesirable outcomes.

If you use the common pinch & claw method as demonstrated in this LeCordon Bleu video while using a knife, there should be no fear of digital removal. Especially with the Chinese vegetable knife. Noticed I call it a knife. Cleaver is such a bad name for such a good knife. In fact, the size of the knife ensures the left hand knows exactly what the right hand is doing. You know where the knife is at all times. No surprises.

Skill matters. All too often, I'll walk into a friend's kitchen and find a $1K+ knife set on the counter. I would comment “nice knives.” Then I would watch them use the knives. More often than not, I would comment “Take the knives back and get a refund if you can.” That usually pisses them off to no end. But they know it’s the truth.

Truth, one of the reasons I don’t have many friends. Not really a bad thing.

Knives like skis, work better with some skill. Just like buying a premium ski will not make you (generic) a better skier. Yes, there are often perceived improvements with the new equipment. Most of the perceived improvement is in one’s head. Knives work the same way.

A little skill goes a long way with knives. This is a good video on basic knife skills from Jacques Pepin.

Most people buy too much ski for their ability. Just because the ski gets a great review does not mean it is a good fit for you. Same with knives.

When asked for recommendations, I will often point friends (ones I still have and like) toward restaurant quality knives. For most a 5-piece set made up of an 8” chef knife, 5” utility, 3” paring, honing steel and a decent block is all they need. Popular brands like Dexter, Mercer and Victorinox all have very good offerings in the restaurant quality knives. A decent 8” chef knife will run between $20 to $40. The Mercer Millenia line @Muleski mentioned up thread is a good one. One can do up the whole 5-piece set for around $100. Easy on the wallet.

Again, like in skiing, user skill matter more than the ski/knife.

Sponsor

Staff online