• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
I was struck by how many mulitple-thousand-dollar bottles there were, and by how many of those had a one-bottle limit!

Yep,..... I'll not be in the hunt for those bad boys, but I'll be happy to pick up 3 or 4 of the others.

I have my eye on the 35 Yr old JP Wisers Rye, The 21 Yr old Double Barrel Rye from Pike Creek, The Project XX from Glenfiddich & the Chairmans Reserve Forgotten Casks St Lucia Rum.

I have had a bottle of the Glenfiddich 40 yr old a while back,..... Drank that puppy with my parents before I moved to Canada from Australia 10 years or so ago.....

We cracked a bottle of 30 Yr old Glenfiddich when I got married last NYE....

Liquid silk is the best way of describing both aged bottles.

:)

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
This was written by a guy I knew back in the late 1960's He seems to know what he is talking about.

THE WHISKEY JOURNALS ----- THE SUBLIME DELIGHTS OF SCOTCH
Scotch varies more in taste than any other 'whiskey' or 'distilled spirit' than I know. It varies from region to region where it is produced, and also from distillery to distillery. In fact, if a person who was not experienced with Scotch, were to taste... say a shot of 'Laphroaig'(an Islay Island Scotch) and then a shot of 'Glenlivet' (a Speyside Scotch), that person probably would not even know that they were the same type of whiskey AND that they are both classified as "Scotches", because they are so different from each other in character, aroma, and in their lightness versus pungency, and of their flavor. There are now between 110 and 120 Scotch distilleries in Scotland. More than half of them are in the valley of the River Spey. Nori and I have personally taken tours of 12 of them.
IMPORTANT DISTINCTION: Scotch comes in two basic different types: "Single Malt Scotches" and "Blends".
SINGLE MALT SCOTCH- This is "pure" Scotch. Made entirely from malted barley grain.
BLENDED SCOTCH - to reduce price, distillers produce a less expensive Scotch known as a "blend'. What it is, is approximately 50% pure barley malt Scotch, mixed or blended with 50% neutral (unflavored) grain alcohol (sometimes as much as 2/3 corn whiskey or neutral grain alcohol) . Since neutral unflavored grain alcohol cost about 1/10th of the price of pure barley malt Scotch, you can see that a "blended" Scotch will be a lot cheaper per bottle to buy. But, while it has a "Scotch" taste, it does not have the "depth" of a Single Malt, being distinctly less robust or full bodied by the addition of nearly half or more of unflavored neutral grain alcohol. Scotch-snobs (and I am proudly one of those) ..... wouldn't touch a blend. But, three better well known and better tasting blends are "Dewers", "Cutty Sark" and "Johnny Walker", and they are not bad, as blends go.
SINGLE MALT BLENDS - there is another category of "Blended Scotches" and that is the "Single Malt Blend". Where the generally "Blended Scotches" are 50% neutral unflavored grain alcohol, the "Single Malt Blend" is 100% Barley Malt Scotch. But instead of being a Scotch from just one distillery, it is made of several Single Malt Scotches from several different distilleries. It contains NO neutral unflavored grain alcohol.
AGING SCOTCH
75% of all Scotches are aged in used Kentucky Bourbon Barrels or Casks. 20% are aged in used Spanish or Portuguese Sherry casks. Scotch distillers are experimenting with the other 5%, aging them in casks that once held, Rum, Cognac, Cabernet Sauvignon, Madiera and other wines and whiskeys.
SCOTLAND'S SCOTCH REGIONS
Scotland was traditionally divided into four regions with regard to types of Scotch produced: The Highlands, Lowland, Islay, and Campbeltown. However, more recently, the "Island Region" and the "Speyside Region" are now seen to have their own distinctive character when it comes to the taste of Scotch.
The generally recognized Scotch Regions today are;
LOWLAND- include the Scotches, Auchentoshan, Bladnoch and Glenkinchie
(Taste: Lowland Scotches are very light and soft in taste and character.)
SPEYSIDE — encompassing the valley of the River "Spey" in north-east Scotland near Aberdeen, once considered part of the Highlands, has almost half of the total number (approx. 105 distilleries as of 2013) of distilleries in Scotland within its geographic boundaries; consequently it is officially recognized as a distinct region. The valley of the Spey River has the largest number of distilleries, which includes: Aberlour, Balvenie, Cardhu, Cragganmore, Glenfarclas, Glenglassaugh, Glenfiddich, Speyburn, The Glenlivet, The Glenrothes and Macallan.
(Taste: Speyside Scotches are subtlely more sweet (sometimes described as fruity or flowery) than Lowland or Highland Scotches)
HIGHLAND — some Highland distilleries: Aberfeldy, Balblair, Ben Nevis, Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, Glen Ord, Glenmorangie, Oban, Old Pulteney and Edradour.
(Taste: Highland Scotches are also somewhat light in flavor and aroma, but a bit more fullness of body and slight richness as compared to Lowland Scotches.)
THE ISLANDS, a sub-region, includes all of the whisky-producing islands (but excludes "Islay") including the islands of, Arran, Jura, Mull, Orkney and Skye — with their respective distilleries: Arran, Jura, Tobermory, Highland Park and Scapa, and Talisker.
(Taste: Island Scotches have a somewhat bolder taste with slight elements of "saltiness".)
ISLAY (pronounced, 'Eye-La") is an island and considered its own distinctive Scotch producing region, (separate from the other "Islands" sub-group). Examples include; Bowmore, Ardbeg, and Laphroaig, Caol Isla, and Lavagulin.

(Taste: Islay produces the most pungent and powerful tasting of all Scotches, especially "Laphroaig" (pronounced, "La-Froig"). Islay Scotches can be very "medicinal" in taste, with medium to strong/pungent taste of peat smoke and iodine. The iodine comes from the peat which is burned to dry the barley grain from which the Scotch is made. The peat is made of centuries old compressed decayed seaweed, which is harvested by cutting it out of the earth in manageable (hand-carried) sized "blocks" or "bricks", and then drying it out. (Peat is naturally found in in a wet bog-like environment. It must be dried out before it will burn as fuel.) It was used as fuel in Scottish homes in pre-coal and oil days to heat homes and cook. It continues to be used to dry or smoke the barley to make Scotch. Seaweed is naturally high in iodine, an element in sea water, hence the smokey iodine flavor of "Islay" Scotches, especially "Laphroaig".)
CAMPBELTOWN, once home to over 30 distilleries, currently has only three distilleries operating: Glen Scotia, Glengyle and Springbank.

(Taste: No general rule here. These three distilleries produce a variety of Scotches that range widely from medium to strong & full-bodied in flavor.)
AN INFORMATIONAL NOTE ABOUT PEAT
Peat is centuries old dead, decayed and compressed vegetable matter. It is cut out of the ground by hand in what might be called large "bricks", or "blocks", and then set out to dry. (Natural peat is wet out of the ground and must be allowed to dry completely before they can be used as fuel.) In the pre-industrial era, peat was used as a fuel in Scotland to heat homes and to cook, as well as in the making Scotch. It is still used today in traditional Scotch-making, to dry out the barley. But not all Scotches dry their barley over peat fires. Some use modern hot air dryers fueled by natural gas. Thus, those are "unpeated" Scotches; i.e., you get no "peaty" or "smokey" flavor imparted to the barley.
The peat that is used in the traditional manner differs in what it consists of, depending on where (what location) the peat was formed and later harvested. Each type of peat, imparts a different smokiness flavor to the barley, because each is made up of an entirely different type of vegetation. Peat from the coastal and island areas consists mainly of "seaweed", thus contains ample amounts of iodine, a natural ingredient in seawater. Peat from the lowland consists mainly of a plant called, "gorse", a small prickly evergreen with yellow flowers. No iodine there, thus a lighter flavor is imparted to the smoked barley, and hence, the Scotch. And the peat from the highlands is mainly "heather", a small highland plant. No iodine there either. So again, the peat (this time consisting of "heather") imparts a lighter (though slightly different flavor than the "gorse" peat) to the barley, and then to the Scotch, than does the "seaweed" peat of the coastal and island areas. The peat from the valley of the river Spey, consists of flower aromatic plants (that have died centuries ago), hence they impart that subtle flavor to their Scotches.
The descriptions above were my own based upon my own experiences in tasting the Scotches mentioned, plus visits to Scotland and tours of many Scotch distilleries, and some additional research.
My favorites ?
I have no one favorite. There are too many wonderful and different tasting Scotches for me to choose just one. But the ones I like the most include:
* Lagavulin 16 yr old
* Laphroaig 15 yr old (no longer made .... alas)
* Laphroaig 10 yr old
* Laphroaig Cask Strength
* Caol Isla 12 & 18 yr old
* Ardbeg
* Tobermory
* Clinelish
* Edradour
* Aberfeldy
* Balvenie 14 yr old & 17 yr old (both matured in Rum Casks)
* Glenfiddich 12 yr old
* Speyburn (both the Gold Label & the Green Label)
* Glenlivet 12 yr old
* Macallan 12 yr old (aged in Sherry Casks)
* Macallan Cask Strength
* Glen Garioch 8 yr old & Glen Garioch Reserve (pronounced .... believe it or not .... as "Glen Geary")

Nice list !!

I've never been a peat man I'm afraid, so I've steered away from those.....

Unopened in my cellar (some in Aus being babysat by my father, some here in Canada,.... I bring a couple back each time I go visit.....) is:

Glenfiddich 30, 21, 18, & 15 yr old
Glenmorangie 25 Yr old & Nectar D'or (x2)
Balvenie Port Wood 15 yr old
Aberlour Abunadh Casks 11, 12, 13, 15 & 22 (I've had these for quite a while now,.... Smoothest rocket fuel you'll ever drink.... ;) )
Glen Deveron 20 yr old
Glenlivet 18 yr old
Macallan Fine oak
Aberfeldy 16 yr old
JP Wisers 18 Yr old Rye
Centennial "Ninety" 20 yr old Rye
Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

Rum:

Plantation 20th Anniversary
El Dorado 15 & 12 yr old
Ron Zacapa 23 & 15 yr old Solera
Ron Matusalem 18 & 15 Yr old

Currently open are:

JP Wisers 18 Yr old Rye (Canadian)
Centennial "Ninety" 20 yr old Rye (Canadian)
Centennial Dark Chocolate Rye
El Dorado 15 Yr old Rum
Hennesy Grand Champage Cognac
Forty Creek Rye (every day)
Bacardi Black (every day)

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I live about 5 km from where the Wiser distiĺlery was. One the buildings has been turned into a craft brewery. The owner invites any old staff to come and visit. We did a tour when I wss in high school. Got to look, but no taste !

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next Saturday morning is now "booked out" for me......

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/promotion/premium-spirit-release-2017

The "list"....

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/attachments/pdfs/2017spiritreleasebrochure-download.pdf

It's going to hurt the wallet big time, but stuff like this doesn't come along all that often.

I love the descriptions of some of these , " tarry rope", "salted honeycombs,", "creosote, wood beers and ash," "sweetened cherry pie with grapes on the side". Hah!!

The prices are something too. I'd be scared to drink it!

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
I love the descriptions of some of these , " tarry rope", "salted honeycombs,", "creosote, wood beers and ash," "sweetened cherry pie with grapes on the side". Hah!!

The prices are something too. I'd be scared to drink it!

Never be afraid to drink good whisky. :)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We went to Pittsburgh this past weekend, and found a nice liquor store in the Strip, called Pennsylvania Libations. All Pennsylvania craft liquors from a number of craft distillers. After a sampling of more than several, we brought these home

20171106_162650_HDR_resized.jpg

This is a Manatawny Still Works Keystone Whiskey. Deliciously smooth , with a buttery taste.

20171106_162344_HDR_resized.jpg

This is Liberty Pole Bourbon, very distinct flavour not like any other bourbon I've had . I will have to drink some more before I can fully comment on it.

This will be my homework for a while

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
In my closet of "do not make any plans"

Oban - need I say more?
Dalwhinnie - repeat above
Aberlour A'bunadh - dar horse fave of mine that I will go to if out and about, over any other.
Bunnahabhain - likely my fave single malt
Writer's Tears - we all need cheap and easy
Penderyn - you can make sense of the writing once you've had a snort or nine
Glen Breton Fiddler's Choice - gotta show some love for the Cape Breton single malt, well, they're good one - the other tastes like condensate.
Balblair - an accident that has grown on me in the seven years I have had it
Old Pulteney - quite a good/weird tasting single malt, in my opinion. Happy to have spent an evening killing a judgement in Edinburgh the last time I was there and promptly hooked!

Cameron Brig - the best pound for pound, or dollar for dollar, whiskey I have ever drank in my life. I get awesome feedback from some pretty high end scotch drinkers and they're blown away when they discover that it's grain and comes from lower Fife. I used to work right handy to it and so I started bringing crocks home with me, and at 20 pounds a jug, they were well worth it!

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
New addition to the family arrived this afternoon. As of this posting, I can say it’s delicious.

05F35713-7BB4-498D-9445-2B7598D2E055.jpeg

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I was thinking of making that my next acquisition. Have you had other Whistle pigs you could compare it to?
I have all of them except the Boss - I’d have to drink them all before I spent that much on a bottle.

It’s not like any of the others to me. I much prefer rye to any other brown liquor and like the other versions whistlepig puts out, but I would say the others are quite strong - big and bold, made for sipping neat with a cigar. Farmstock is not. It’s soft and smooth. If the other pigs were wine, they would be big cabs - Farmstock is a Pinot noir.

That’s about the best I can do describing it. I don’t get into all the noses and finishes and hints of this and that. My final take away is that Farmstock is a dangerously easy drinking rye with a superb taste. I would not hesitate to plunk down my money on future replacement bottles.

Sponsor

Staff online