• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@jimmy shared this on FB but failed to share it here.
Hard Truths about the Rules of Drinking Bourbon

From the article:
“There’s no wrong way to consume bourbon,” says Williams. The only mistake is “not enjoying it while you’re doing it.

Thanks @Tricia for sharing this most important information here, sorry I dropped the ball. I have been consumed trying to keep up on the "$18.00 Burger coming to Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte and Stevens Pass" thread when i should have been spending more time here. You know I like bourbon way more than I like Vail.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'll do Jameson and Ginger once in a blue moon but that's only because Jameson is a mixer to me. If what I'm drinking is what I consider the good stuff then I'll drink it neat with a splash of water.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Tricia for sharing this most important information here, sorry I dropped the ball. I have been consumed trying to keep up on the "$18.00 Burger coming to Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte and Stevens Pass" thread when i should have been spending more time here. You know I like bourbon way more than I like Vail.
No brainer ;)

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyways...........................
I like mine neat, on one big rock, or with a dash of water. Jim Beam and Soda with a twist of lemon if I'm drinking Jim Beam. Picked up a bottle of Old Granddad Bonded Monday. 100 proof, spicy stands up to rocks very well.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I've heard people order Jack and Coke, and one time I heard someone order Jack and Dew.(Yuck)

Neither of those appeal to me, but I do enjoy a whiskey Ginger from time to time in the summer.
Rye Whiskey and Ginger Ale is what us old timers would call a High Ball, and traditionally three mixers are used with Whiskey, Ginger Ale, Club Soda, or Water any other might get you a strange look from a bar tender. BTW another one came to mind 7-UP because for a long time a 7 & 7 was popular Sesgram 7 and 7-Up. My choice was water because years ago when I was learning how to drink, my cousin said stay with water because there is only so much soda you can drink but you can drink much more water than soda.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why has Basil Hayden's been on sale for so long? It's $29.99 everywhere recently.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rye Whiskey and Ginger Ale is what us old timers would call a High Ball, and traditionally three mixers are used with Whiskey, Ginger Ale, Club Soda, or Water any other might get you a strange look from a bar tender. BTW another one came to mind 7-UP because for a long time a 7 & 7 was popular Sesgram 7 and 7-Up. My choice was water because years ago when I was learning how to drink, my cousin said stay with water because there is only so much soda you can drink but you can drink much more water than soda.

My dear old grandad told me a long time ago when I was a young buck, Sonny, always drink your liquor straight. The mix is what gives you a hangover. Words to live by. Ice cubes only for me. I rarely have a mixed drink, maybe a Dark&Stormy or 5 at a regatta, or the odd G&T or 6 on a hot summers day.

He also said that you should never drink white liquor (vodka, gin, white rum, etc) because that stuff wrecks your liver more than anything else. Brown liquor only. I try and follow those words of wisdom.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My dear old grandad told me a long time ago when I was a young buck, Sonny, always drink your liquor straight. The mix is what gives you a hangover. Words to live by. Ice cubes only for me. I rarely have a mixed drink, maybe a Dark&Stormy or 5 at a regatta, or the odd G&T or 6 on a hot summers day.

He also said that you should never drink white liquor (vodka, gin, white rum, etc) because that stuff wrecks your liver more than anything else. Brown liquor only. I try and follow those words of wisdom.
Good advise, It is the sugar in the mixer that gives you a hangover. No sugar in the water I mix with and if you follow todays thinking you should hydrate as you drink.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good advise, It is the sugar in the mixer that gives you a hangover. No sugar in the water I mix with and if you follow todays thinking you should hydrate as you drink.

Interesting, I've lived by it's cheap liqueur most likely to give you the hangover. In earlier days before pacing myself I would end a night with glass of orange juice and vitamin B tablet, least for me it kept hangovers at bay. Had a friend who worked some ER some years prior (I suspect the era of Disco) when things were more wild, said that doctors if having had a bad night before and now called in would IV up with glucose to top of fluids and a some sugars.

Not bragging, but all this in a number one party college in the country! Like to think I helped put it there. Thank goodness sensibility is restoring people to behave!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a friend who did post-disaster appraisal and salvage work for insurance companies. Once he was working with a post-fire team at a famous grocer and wine merchant. Now, most of the wine was fine. But by law in Massachusetts (and many other states) salvaged food items cannot be resold. So they were in the parking lot, pulling bottles of wine and recording them, and then opening them and dumping the wine in a tank and the bottles in a dumpster.

But several times during the day the store owner stopped the process, saying, "oh no boys, not this one. Get out your glasses."

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It may not be a total loss. I'm sure they can salvage any barrels that weren't broken. And maybe they should just leave them outside. Back in 2006 , a tornado or hurricane blew the side off a Buffalo Trace warehouse, and left the barrels exposed to the elements for the better part of a year. When the whisky was released, it was hailed as the best ever , and prices shot up for this "special release"

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
It may not be a total loss. I'm sure they can salvage any barrels that weren't broken. And maybe they should just leave them outside. Back in 2006 , a tornado or hurricane blew the side off a Buffalo Trace warehouse, and left the barrels exposed to the elements for the better part of a year. When the whisky was released, it was hailed as the best ever , and prices shot up for this "special release"

Those barrels are pretty valuable if they had to dispose of them (emptied) you could easily swish them for some decent liquor. (channelling my inner 20 yr old self)

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Sazerac may be fined for getting bourbon in the water? Seems that they are the damaged party, water got in their bourbon.

"Following the first collapse, a Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet spokesman said Sazerac would be cited for failing to report the spill of whiskey in a timely manner and for polluting waters. The spokesman said Barton 1792 moved quickly to stop the alcohol from entering the creek but didn't alert the state quickly enough."

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Yeah actually did it in Ontario and when I moved East it was a thing here. Ontario was Hiram Walkers distillery and in East it was Rum Barrels. And when they were all swished out they could be used as planters. good fun

Sponsor

Staff online