• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know of a place in Little Cottonwood Canyon to fill airbag cartridges?

We will be landing in SLC around 4:30pm (which will feel like 5:30 to us), so we want to head up to Snowbird straight away to get dinner and get my kids in bed at a decent time, not driving around SLC hanging around ski shops there.

I have both the Fire department adapter and the scuba adapter for my Mammut cartridge.
Anyone know if any of the shops at Alta or Snowbird, or the Fire dept, will fill my cartridges?

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welding supply or fire extinguisher repair shops should be able to fill your cartridge. You didn't say if you needed compressed air or nitrogen, but fire extinguisher supply places usually have breathing air compressors for Scott Air Packs in addition to nitrogen. Welding shops usually have compressed nitrogen and other gasses by the truck load.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i have no specific help for you, but my suggestion is call
powderbirds, the heliski outfit that flies from snowbirdalta helipad. They would know because they also supply airbags to their clients (once you get connected to their technical gear or guide person and not with sales/reservations)

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welding supply or fire extinguisher repair shops should be able to fill your cartridge. You didn't say if you needed compressed air or nitrogen, but fire extinguisher supply places usually have breathing air compressors for Scott Air Packs in addition to nitrogen. Welding shops usually have compressed nitrogen and other gasses by the truck load.

I don’t think there are many welding supply or fire extuingsher repair shops in LCC ;)

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i have no specific help for you, but my suggestion is call
powderbirds, the heliski outfit that flies from snowbirdalta helipad. They would know because they also supply airbags to their clients (once you get connected to their technical gear or guide person and not with sales/reservations)

I had a similar thought, and emailed Snowbird backcountry ski guides, no reply.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like Deep Powder House at Alta is a Mammut dealer -- call them and see if they can do it.
Thanks, that would be a good shot. They were not listed on the Mammut authorized fill station list.

Generally, it doesn’t matter what brand of airbag it is, as long as they fill compresssed air(instead of nitrogen) tanks you are usually good to go.

I had called the main shop in Snowbird, but they don’t fill any airbag cartridges.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone with Mammut specifically:

2nd track sports rents the cartridges for only $5/day, and they are only a minute or two of extra driving between the airport and LCC. Popping in to pick up a cartridge should be quick, vs getting 2 of them filled, which was what I wasn’t willing to do.

So I will do that.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t think there are many welding supply or fire extuingsher repair shops in LCC ;-)
How about between the airport and LCC, then perhaps you are taking the Pugski helicopter from SLC to the resort?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a similar thought, and emailed Snowbird backcountry ski guides, no reply.
Yea a lot of these mtn related businesses are ultimately analog and physical in nature, you got to jump on the horn and make a phone call rather than staying in the digital world.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yea a lot of these mtn related businesses are ultimately analog and physical in nature, you got to jump on the horn and make a phone call rather than staying in the digital world.
I tried that first, but they didn’t answer the phone.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about between the airport and LCC, then perhaps you are taking the Pugski helicopter from SLC to the resort?
Because, as I mentioned in the original question, we have children and arrive early evening and didn’t want to head into a shop and wait for my cartridges to be filled. I knew there would be places to fill in Salt Lake City, some even listed on the Mammut website, that was not the problem.
Anyway, it doesn’t matter anymore, at these prices the rental is the perfect option.

Sponsor

Staff online