• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laser AX now or Liberty V76 later?

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug They apparently just sold the last 161 with the system binding. Is that binding significantly better than buying it flat and a separate binding?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug They apparently just sold the last 161 with the system binding. Is that binding significantly better than buying it flat and a separate binding?
Not the worst choice...go for it. #philpugapproved ;)

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just realized there are multiple thread dealing with this question. Will review...:rolleyes:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The first rule about pro deals is that we don't talk about pro deals.
Hmm.. don't want to get beat up or anything, but now wondering
Just realized there are multiple thread dealing with this question. Will review...:rolleyes:
I've been wondering if this site is becoming a mostly stockli fan site... Nothing good can come of this most likely:duck:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Color me jealous. Please report back as to how you like them. I'm still dreaming of picking up a pair of Stocklis, and we are similar stats.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Color me jealous. Please report back as to how you like them. I'm still dreaming of picking up a pair of Stocklis, and we are similar stats.
will do Amy. Maybe I won't like them and they will be perfect for you!

Yes...and to pay it forward......not sell them for more than you bought them for on pro deal......(I have been seeing a lot of this lately):(
that's terrible. Too much greed in the world. Hopefully I won't want to sell them before I have worn them out. But if I do I promise to be reasonable and honest.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh veh. Bindings and skis arrived. Either they run long or my other skis and I shrank. They are barely below the top of my head in stocking feet. @Philpug or @Ron am I right that's too long and should I try to send them back and order shorter? Not sure that is allowed even. Is it fair or kosher to even ask a retailer if they'd be willing to make a trade? I dont want to offend anyone.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Oh veh. Bindings and skis arrived. Either they run long or my other skis and I shrank. They are barely below the top of my head in stocking feet. @Philpug or @Ron am I right that's too long and should I try to send them back and order shorter? Not sure that is allowed even. Is it fair or kosher to even ask a retailer if they'd be willing to make a trade? I dont want to offend anyone.

Id say you got the right size :D

But seriously, how much are they off by? (from stated size)

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure they are off. Just that they are barely shorter than my powder skis that I thought were 168s. Also it is very possible that I am now shorter than I thought! Anyhow Stockli was really great. They are letting me switch.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Often the powder or big mountain ski lengths are measured along the topsheet and are not a straightpull tip to tail.
My 2cents is it's part of powder ski's marketing is to make them seem, big floaty and confidence-inspiring as possible so you pull the trigger and buy a turn.

[on another note, I looked at the dimensions of Samsung TVs and they're all shorted by .5 of an inch too for marketting. a 55" tv is really 54.5, 65 is 64.5", 75 is 74.5)

I just got a pair of 168 laser ax and they are a couple inches shorter than my other 172 frontside 80mm blizzards; so I believe length and sizing can be consistent but only if you stay within the same ski category.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm not sure they are off. Just that they are barely shorter than my powder skis that I thought were 168s. Also it is very possible that I am now shorter than I thought! Anyhow Stockli was really great. They are letting me switch.

Awesome.

I mean most skis are only off (measured length vs specified length) by about 2cm at the most (give or take 1cm). So about an inch max. less than advertised.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
skied the AX's finally yesterday at WP in perfect hard pack conditions. Last two ski days were powder days at home. (poor me:rolleyes:)

I am glad I went for the shorter skis. Tried them first on the line and then one click forward. Hmmmmm. They were not as turn-y as I expected. (Felt like I needed to be going really fast and aggressive posture to get them to bite properly. Still fun. Still smooth. Tried moving the bindings forward and found they did indeed get easier to turn from an upright, more relaxed position, but that's not really what I bought them for and they didn't seem as smooth and stable. So they are different in the different position and I'm not certain which way I like it better. Thinking at the moment on the line.

Bumps were fine and easier than I thought they'd be, but the shovel is stiffer than I'm used to, so have to be more attentive.

When I had them mounted, the fellow who did it said he kindly detuned the tips and tails for me, which I had not asked for. Do you think this could be the issue I'm experiencing? My One-oh-something Liberty skis (granted on soft snow) seemed to come around at good speed on groomers as well as these slicers, which is concerning.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When I had them mounted, the fellow who did it said he kindly detuned the tips and tails for me, which I had not asked for. Do you think this could be the issue I'm experiencing?

The shovel is stiffer than you're used to - I think it may be useful to start right there.

The detune would be a slight help if you were sloppy and a hindrance if you're precise, but your ability to pressure the shovel is at the root of it all, IMO.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes you are on it. Why would he detune a carving ski, unless he like dropped or scissored the skis and needed to do the other 3 edges to match the dulled edge.
Detuning is as you think, it takes the bite out of your edges don't so they don't catch in the snow for intermediate or big mountain skiers(this is what you DON't what as an advanced carver, as you want the bite). Go to a different shop that caters to racers instead of big mountain skiers for a better job, and unfortunately sounds like you need edges re-done already on your brand new skis

Regarding the stiffness, give it a couple days on the mountain before passing judgement, from new it will loosen up after it's in use for a bit.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The first rule about pro deals is that we don't talk about pro deals.

Yes, but just thought I’d mention that Liberty also offer pro deals, just register on their website rather than through PSIA’s website.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hey i must have missed the notice on your post. Sorry! Hope you are enjoying the shorter length now.

Sponsor