• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laser AX now or Liberty V76 later?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be so easy to decide if only I could demo, but there isn't anywhere here that has these skis.

My dilemma:
Looking for font-side skis that grip like tigers but are fun and willing to explore and don't get pissed off when off piste.

Liberty: My current soft snow skis are 168 Liberty Envy and love them. Unfortunately, the Liberty VMT 76s don't come shorter than 165. Figure I ought to go shorter for a carving ski, no? Liberty says they are going to bring out a shorter version for women, but not till after the first of the year. I am impatient. And, no telling if it'll be a short VMT 76 or a narrower version of the women's ski.

Stockli: The reviews make them sound like they have similar characteristics as the Liberty (@Ron)... I can get a good deal through PSIA, so that takes the stupid-expensive part out of the equation. They come in shorter lengths, and I would not have to wait. BUT....I have never skied a Stockli. What if I don't like them? Would they be too much ski for small person like me?

Please help me decide.

PS: I am old, short, and small. 64yo, barely 5'4", bit under 120 lbs. Ski New Mexico and Colorado primarily, but have Ikon will travel for snow and if you know someplace in driving distance that I can demo both skis, will travel for that too.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Jerez: I vote you buy the 168 AX at the reasonable price, decide they're too long, and sell them to me.
:)

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, if only: But the Laser AX come short... It's the Liberty skis that come long.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Easy answer....YES!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you have discount pricing on the Laser AX, I would agree that you won't have trouble reselling them here and at least breaking even if you don't like them. Esp if you mount demo bindings or get the factory system binding one.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It would be so easy to decide if only I could demo, but there isn't anywhere here that has these skis.

My dilemma:
Looking for font-side skis that grip like tigers but are fun and willing to explore and don't get pissed off when off piste.

Liberty: My current soft snow skis are 168 Liberty Envy and love them. Unfortunately, the Liberty VMT 76s don't come shorter than 165. Figure I ought to go shorter for a carving ski, no? Liberty says they are going to bring out a shorter version for women, but not till after the first of the year. I am impatient. And, no telling if it'll be a short VMT 76 or a narrower version of the women's ski.

Stockli: The reviews make them sound like they have similar characteristics as the Liberty (@Ron)... I can get a good deal through PSIA, so that takes the stupid-expensive part out of the equation. They come in shorter lengths, and I would not have to wait. BUT....I have never skied a Stockli. What if I don't like them? Would they be too much ski for small person like me?

Please help me decide.

PS: I am old, short, and small. 64yo, barely 5'4", bit under 120 lbs. Ski New Mexico and Colorado primarily, but have Ikon will travel for snow and if you know someplace in driving distance that I can demo both skis, will travel for that too.

C'mon. This is Pugski, so you should know what we are gonna say :ogcool:, buy the skis now! and buy another pair later! You can sell the AXs in no time after some light use. :D:D:D

James

Out There
Instructor
Geez, by the time you wait for the Liberty's you could have skied the Stocklis many times. Then, with the discount and maybe taking some more off, sell the Stocklis and get the Libertys for almost nothing. You'll probably not want to sell the Stocklis.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so now the question is 154 or 161 length...

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 161 would come to the middle of my forehead and the 154 to the bottom of my eyes, if that helps.
Although I am an old lady, I do like to go fast on occasion, but like to ski slow and get plenty of turns in too. Even in last year's awful conditions, I don't recall a ski day where I didn't venture off to dodge grass, rocks and tree stumps in the bumps, such as they were. I am reasonably able to turn a pair of skis, but do not claim a racer's ability.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 161 would come to the middle of my forehead and the 154 to the bottom of my eyes, if that helps.
Although I am an old lady, I do like to go fast on occasion, but like to ski slow and get plenty of turns in too. Even in last year's awful conditions, I don't recall a ski day where I didn't venture off to dodge grass, rocks and tree stumps in the bumps, such as they were. I am reasonably able to turn a pair of skis, but do not claim a racer's ability.
154. But really it depends on what else you have.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the tip on these is pretty gradual and the wheelbase is on thorter side of a typical hard snow biased ski. I'd err to the 161. Sorry, James. :(

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
154. But really it depends on what else you have.

165 Scott The Ski (that is what this will replace because it has too much overlap with my other ski)
An old pair of 165 2010 Atomic Century skis with AT bindings for uphill
167 Liberty Envy 105 (This ski is so versatile, that it overlaps with The Ski, which is why I'm seeking a narrower, more hard snow oriented ski)

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the tip on these is pretty gradual and the wheelbase is on thorter side of a typical hard snow biased ski. I'd err to the 161. Sorry, James. :(

Since I believe you have seen me ski, Phil, I'll have to go with your advice.

Sponsor

Staff online