• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laser AX now or Liberty V76 later?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I had them mounted, the fellow who did it said he kindly detuned the tips and tails for me, which I had not asked for. Do you think this could be the issue I'm experiencing?

:nono:

Yes.

This keeps coming up. Over and over. Take them back and tell him you are neither six nor ninety six. You don't need your meat cut up for you or your expensive skis neutered. Let's just hope he didn't do so much they they're not recoverable.

Once again, for everyone listening: You must have them write it on the ticket every time and circle it in red: DO NOT DETUNE. Verbal assurances are worthless.

James

Out There
Instructor
Have a race oriented shop look at them. The guy who actually tunes the skis as opposed to the counter worker. They might benefit from a grind also.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have a race oriented shop look at them. The guy who actually tunes the skis as opposed to the counter worker. They might benefit from a grind also.
well, I would say maybe a grind isn't needed, but perhaps a hot scrape, mine new are the flattest new skis I've gotten, but in my first wax had more than expected black stuff came out in my scrape. Though this is just for speed though rather than feel or performance.

James

Out There
Instructor
The black stuff might mean you used too much heat.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I took them into a ski shop here and the owner showed me that they had a substantial burr that ran the length is all 4 edges except where they'd been detuned. And he noticed that none of my other skis were detuned. So I left them for a new ski prep. Will report.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems to concur with all the advice. It mean the detuned areas were not engaging at all, and the "burred" sections were the only places biting in and getting used.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The black stuff might mean you used too much heat.
Good point, but no. barely melting the wax. This was leftover from the factory grind or initial ptex hairs. Did 2 other pairs of skis in same session with same technique and iron setting and no stuff on those.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Stockli factory is quite small I hear. Smaller than lots of ski shops. A Bass Pro Shop would dwarf it.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nearing the end of season report on Stockli Laser AX

Finally dialed in this ski, at least for me. Had to fix the tune (2xs); had to fix the binding delta problem (shims and moved forward +.5); had to fix the lazy skier.

Now I feel the love.

At first the skis were supremely competent. yawn. Surprisingly fun in bumps, less so on groomers -- which is what I expected to be their forte -- unless I was going like a bat out of hell on low-angle runs. It wasn't that they didn't do everything I was able to ask of them, just that they seemed too serious and skiing seemed like a job. I was looking for more Tigger, less Tiger as @Tricia might say. So, I still feel like I should have demoed the Liberty ski before buying. Might have been more love-at-first-ski.

Nevertheless, I have now found the fun and joy in these skis. They require attention. They really do want you to be on it all the time to shine. They'll still ski just fine and grip like a swiss knife even if you aren't, but it just isn't as joyous.
I believe they will turn out to be "good for me" skis as well as good fun.

The amazing thing about them is how chameleon-like they are in that you can go from screaming groomers, where they are smooth and silky, to beat up crusty bumps, where they are swivel-y and even easy and playful, to rough chpped up after-snow where they cut through like razors.

In retrospect I am happy with the shorter length too. (154 vs 161; I am 5'4" and shrinking)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stockli factory is quite small I hear. Smaller than lots of ski shops. A Bass Pro Shop would dwarf it.

A Bass Pro Shop would dwarf lots of things. (And make them look classy.)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does he want to buy them? I'm represrnting mdf.

My careful subtlety was apparently lost on you.

No. That's not it. You just wanted to poke the whole thing with a stick. ogwink

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Veering slightly back on track ......
While I fully support the group consensus on the AX, I would like to speak up on behalf of the V76. I have both and lately I've reaching for the V76 more than the AX. It seems more nimble and responsive while still being more than stable enough (at least up to the teeth-rattling snow stage). And that tight turning radius is sweet!

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. my suspicion is that the Liberty 76 might be more playful than the AX based on the 106 Liberty skis I also have. Absolutely love them.

The V76 would probably have been a better personality fit for my skiing. On the other hand, the seriousness of these Stockli skis forced me to pay attention and I think have been good for my skiing.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Veering slightly back on track ......
While I fully support the group consensus on the AX, I would like to speak up on behalf of the V76. I have both and lately I've reaching for the V76 more than the AX. It seems more nimble and responsive while still being more than stable enough (at least up to the teeth-rattling snow stage). And that tight turning radius is sweet!

Yes. my suspicion is that the Liberty 76 might be more playful than the AX based on the 106 Liberty skis I also have. Absolutely love them.

The V76 would probably have been a better personality fit for my skiing. On the other hand, the seriousness of these Stockli skis forced me to pay attention and I think have been good for my skiing.

So there’s no denying the performance and feel of the ax however, after skiing the Liberty v92:all season, I absolutely love the V series and frankly grabbed it far more than the AX just for the feel of the ski. No, it’s not as high performing but that’s not everything to me. It performs plenty precise and can hold up to speed and angles but it’s more fun and just has a highly additive turn entry feel. It became like my Halflingef slippers which if you own them know they are supportive yet ultra comfy. . They are super easy to work invaried terrain and really nice in the bumps too.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January