• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can tell you, for my own knowledge, Epoxy does not work on the delamination of skis, especially in the upside camber zone and even more under the binder, it always ends up delamination ..... it's a zone of extreme stress. Epoxy only works on Tip and Tail areas, and yet not guaranteed to come to delaminat from time to time.

After trying twice to repair the delamination under my ski binder, I bought a glue used in the industry, structuring glue, the wonder after 2 years of use, I never had delamination on the skis again, this is a material with some flexibility, the Epoxy does not, it stays rigid and with the vibration, flex and torsion of the upside camber it ends up delaminat again. I used this product, but there should be more similar ones around:

Some relevant specs i read in manual:

- temp range -40°celsius +90°celsius
- Structural bonding of elements subject to vibration
- Application to damp surfaces and even under water
- Easy to apply and structure even at low temperatures
- Connection of joints in metal plates
- Collages and seals in the industry and automotive repair, nautical, professional maintenance
- Excellent adhesion to all types of materials, porous and non-porous
- High Initial Tack (160kg / m2)
- Bond strength of 320 ton./m2 48hours
- Excellent stability and resistance to UV rays
$17

eRFy1Ii.jpg

http://www.soudal.com/soudalweb/productDetail.aspx?w=250&p=639&ID=3099
I see this for sale in Australia. Where can it be purchased in the USA?

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, thank you, full recovery expected in 3 months. I’m done for the season when it's finally getting good! :(

Truly, I was just skiing along. I did a pole plant and felt a pop and sharp pain in my elbow. My biceps tendon had completely ruptured.

If anyone experiences similar, get to a doc soon as you only have a couple of weeks to get it fixed before it gets complicated.
It is called a distal tendon rupture. I did mine a few years ago laying on the bow of my boat as I was launching and tried to crank it back up a bit and pop. Had surgery about a week after. I was fishing with a baitcaster about three weeks later. A person I know took 6 months to heal. They drill a hole in your fore arm bone and with a cord pull your bicep tendon to the hole and tie it off.

jsl94109

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
View attachment 43577 View attachment 43578 Anyone else have any experience with Kastle delamination?
Love the skis but the last 3-4 days something felt different.
Took last runs of the season this afternoon and just started cleaning up gear for offseason and found 2 areas where the top sheet is peeling off the glass layer below it.
Bought these early last season. Have about 45 days on the total.

Anyone have similar problem or a contact at Kastle to reach out to?

Thanks,
Tim
I've had the exact same problem. First with a pair of MX88's and then with MX89's. Both were new and started de laminating pretty much from day 1. Every day I ski them, there's a new section peeling off the top layer. They're just extremely poorly made skis. Sad but true. They ski great otherwise.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've had the exact same problem. First with a pair of MX88's and then with MX89's. Both were new and started de laminating pretty much from day 1. Every day I ski them, there's a new section peeling off the top layer. They're just extremely poorly made skis. Sad but true. They ski great otherwise.
Well, I have 5 Kastle skis in my current quiver (RX SL, RX GS, MX84, MX98, TX98) and several retired skis (MX78, MX84, MX83, and BMX128) and none of them have any delamination issues. I believe them to be exceptionally well constructed skis. Of course, as with most anything, occasionally a bad build slips through.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any pictures, a friend bought a pair of FX 84,s on my recommendation and he had delamination issues . He brought them back and they did nothing and returned them to the owner. I will buy Stockli from now on . I have 3 pairs of Kastle’s with no delamination issues, one pair 8 seasons old and well over 100 days on them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Brad and Mike, I've had several pairs and no problem, but there are enough of these reports now that there must be an issue. Seems like K. should be admitting that and making things right for customers.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did notice on my friends FX 84 's that the top metal sheet was over hanging the sidewall a little bit ( 1/64"or less ) and he ski's with his feet together. I ski with my feet 6 " apart. This maybe why I never had a problem but Kastle should not delaminate because people ski with their feet together . IMO they will loose customers because of the customer service being inconsistent. when you pay for a premium ski you expect premium service.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
but there are enough of these reports now that there must be an issue. Seems like K. should be admitting that and making things right for customers.

... well, the "issue" IS the customer... so, yeah. Maybe they could make it right by offering discounts for ski lessons? A "how to stop crossing your skis" youtube video?

James

Out There
Instructor
3FBC44BA-54F2-4892-8BAC-3859C650893B.jpeg

MX 83. The tails too. Probably a dozen glued peeling spots.
Yep, the issue is the customer-

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid