• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh no! JSA! Full recovery expected?
Yes, thank you, full recovery expected in 3 months. I’m done for the season when it's finally getting good! :(

Truly, I was just skiing along. I did a pole plant and felt a pop and sharp pain in my elbow. My biceps tendon had completely ruptured.

If anyone experiences similar, get to a doc soon as you only have a couple of weeks to get it fixed before it gets complicated.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
If anyone experiences similar, get to a doc soon as you only have a couple of weeks to get it fixed before it gets complicated.
I had a similar experience when I ruptured my quad tendon, The doc at the Mt clinic said I had 7 days to get it operated on which I had it done 3 days later, I hope you have a a speedy recovery

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The MX-88 is not really and all mountain ski. Unless your mountain has nothing but groomers.
It's more of a wide front side carver (groomer ski) than a all mountain ski.
Well, my MX84 is my daily driver in almost all conditions, including skiing steeps, bumps, and up to 10 inches of fresh.

As to the issues with the top sheet, I had some chipping on my MX 78's, but my MX 83s (2), MX 98s (2), MX 84, RX12 SL, and RX12 GS all are quite durable. And the 83/84s each have about 100 days on them.

Mike

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
So much discussion about how frail Kastle MX series is and some of that is true ,the top sheet and top layer if aluminum is relatively fragile , but in all reality they are a performance groomer ski and they do that quite well...
Yes, unless you have skied and know how to ski a sub-70 mm SL or GS. Then the MX 84 is a performance ski like a Toyota Camry is a performance car.:snowball:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Toyota Camry is a performance car
The Nascar version certainly is ?? I think you are confusing performance with exotic I must have really stood out from 1961- 2001 with the wide ski's I was using ????, I am sure I am not at your level but I get by ????

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, unless you have skied and know how to ski a sub-70 mm SL or GS. Then the MX 84 is a performance ski like a Toyota Camry is a performance car.
:snowball:
You've never skied an MX 83/4, right? Definitely not a Camry!
No one buys it in gs length. Max is 184 and I doubt they sell many.

Though probably the Nordica FA 84 edt evo would blow it's doors off.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my MX84 is my daily driver in almost all conditions, including skiing steeps, bumps, and up to 10 inches of fresh.

As to the issues with the top sheet, I had some chipping on my MX 78's, but my MX 83s (2), MX 98s (2), MX 84, RX12 SL, and RX12 GS all are quite durable. And the 83/84s each have about 100 days on them.

Mike

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
We all have differing opinion on what is an all mountain ski. My son’s daily driver is an Atomic FIS SL. He is on it 90% of the time when he is west of the Mississippi. Bumps, steeps, trees and up to 12” of powder. His powder ski is same as my my daily driver. A pair of Kendo. He could use any of my wider skis. He just chose not to.

The MX-88 is a great feeling ski. As long there is a groomed hard deck underneath. Spent 1-1/2 month at Stratton few years back. Groomer capital of the world. Every time I am on another pair ski, I would say to myself – “Shoulda bought the MX.” The skis is amazing feeling on groomed terrain. Even with 8” fresh on top. In the bumps and steeps of Taos, not so much.

My MX top sheet still looks fine after 100+ days. The ski is flexed out a bit but still enjoyable in the softer stuff. The top sheets on my current FX and BMX series skis looks bullet proof. No issue with them what so ever.

:beercheer:

TS
Tlri

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
I might be better off letting this thread die but in fairness to Kastle I will pass on that I received an email today saying this would be fully covered under warranty. I will be receiving a replacement pair of mx84’s.
Now the question looms, do I ski them or move on to another ski out of fear of a repeat issue?

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Get Mad Russian ski. It eat bull shark. :P

definitely this kind of damage would not happen on Mad Russian skis.

@Tlri regardless impact or not this is delamination because (as you describe in one post) separation fairly large. If you want bring them to me. I can look closer to see what can be done and examine delamination section

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I might be better off letting this thread die but in fairness to Kastle I will pass on that I received an email today saying this would be fully covered under warranty. I will be receiving a replacement pair of mx84’s.
Now the question looms, do I ski them or move on to another ski out of fear of a repeat issue?
Ski them. One of the best skis out there.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thats Great, now you will have a pair of truly new ski's, not a redrilled suspect pair, Ski them and enjoy

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It would have been really 'bad form' to NOT post that Kastle took care of you. Thank you for sharing that they did.

Yeah, someone change the thread tittle to add SOLVED! They gave out a brand new par of skis from ones that were damaged and had been mounted twice. Thats darn good service.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You ski them. Kastle made good for you. See if it happens again.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about detuning or even beveling the top sheet edge? That and smoothing out any nicks when they happen may keep a little problem from turning into a big problem.

Good for Kastle for replacing these!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As @Mike Thomas references the term 'bad form', IMHO it would be 'bad form' NOT to ski them, let alone sell them (not saying that was your plan)
It would have been really 'bad form' to NOT post that Kastle took care of you. Thank you for sharing that they did.
Yeah, someone change the thread tittle to add SOLVED! They gave out a brand new par of skis from ones that were damaged and had been mounted twice. Thats darn good service.
Yes, Kastle went out of their way to take care of the OP, this is not necessarily a warranty claim but a "good will" action that they did.

TS
Tlri

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
I did love the ski when I got on them. They are a great race inspired carver that’s got enough under foot to power through slush and crud.

Decision made.
Will mount and ski them and hope for the best.
I will look into beveling the topsheets and will definitely keep an eye out for damage that be curtailed to prevent a repeat of this issue.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sponsor