• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
4B49B36D-90FA-4BAF-9FAA-4CC69AD240A2.jpeg
C49ABC8B-B22B-4A27-A7C5-5C606A0E7910.jpeg
Anyone else have any experience with Kastle delamination?
Love the skis but the last 3-4 days something felt different.
Took last runs of the season this afternoon and just started cleaning up gear for offseason and found 2 areas where the top sheet is peeling off the glass layer below it.
Bought these early last season. Have about 45 days on the total.

Anyone have similar problem or a contact at Kastle to reach out to?

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 4B49B36D-90FA-4BAF-9FAA-4CC69AD240A2.jpeg
    4B49B36D-90FA-4BAF-9FAA-4CC69AD240A2.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 73

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I'm just going to say - I loved my FX104's but the tops are made out of glass so it seems - mine looked like yours after each trip. it looks like the topsheets got banged from these pictures (little nicks/ cuts going into/across). I repaired mine with expoy/clamps after every trip so they wouldn't delaminate. You can warm them up, drip slow cure in there and clamp it. Drexel/file/sand the excess. I used cling wrap so the epoxy didn't go everywhere. My guess is that separation isn't too deep - test it with a feeler gauge.

Great skiing skis and Yeah, i know, shouldn't have to DIY them.... or go back to where you bought them or DM their Insta.

Again, I'm just looking at the pictures and relating my experience. I have a pair of SR95's this year, haven't changed my style and the look as fresh on top as the day I bought them.

TS
Tlri

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Doesn’t lift off to far but I can slide a credit card about 1/2 way across the ski before I hit resistance in both spots.
I knew from the reviews they were prone to top sheet chipping and dings but wasn’t expecting this.
It’s a little disconcerting to see that large an area in 2 spots on the same ski.
That must have some effect on ski performance as the ski is flexed and tortionally stressed. Both spots are in front of the toe pieces on the same ski about 3 inches apart, on the side that was most often used as my inside edge right ski.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Doesn’t lift off to far but I can slide a credit card about 1/2 way across the ski before I hit resistance in both spots.
I knew from the reviews they were prone to top sheet chipping and dings but wasn’t expecting this.
It’s a little disconcerting to see that large an area in 2 spots on the same ski.
That must have some effect on ski performance as the ski is flexed and tortionally stressed. Both spots are in front of the toe pieces on the same ski about 3 inches apart, on the side that was most often used as my inside edge right ski.

Half way across is WAY more than mine ever got. Still.. shouldn't happen at all, these aren't bargain basement skis.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Contact Kastle asap, they should make good.

pack21

La vita è bella, non sprecarla.
Skier
I can tell you, for my own knowledge, Epoxy does not work on the delamination of skis, especially in the upside camber zone and even more under the binder, it always ends up delamination ..... it's a zone of extreme stress. Epoxy only works on Tip and Tail areas, and yet not guaranteed to come to delaminat from time to time.

After trying twice to repair the delamination under my ski binder, I bought a glue used in the industry, structuring glue, the wonder after 2 years of use, I never had delamination on the skis again, this is a material with some flexibility, the Epoxy does not, it stays rigid and with the vibration, flex and torsion of the upside camber it ends up delaminat again. I used this product, but there should be more similar ones around:

Some relevant specs i read in manual:

- temp range -40°celsius +90°celsius
- Structural bonding of elements subject to vibration
- Application to damp surfaces and even under water
- Easy to apply and structure even at low temperatures
- Connection of joints in metal plates
- Collages and seals in the industry and automotive repair, nautical, professional maintenance
- Excellent adhesion to all types of materials, porous and non-porous
- High Initial Tack (160kg / m2)
- Bond strength of 320 ton./m2 48hours
- Excellent stability and resistance to UV rays
$17

eRFy1Ii.jpg

http://www.soudal.com/soudalweb/productDetail.aspx?w=250&p=639&ID=3099

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seeing all of the maring in the sidewalls and seeing that there is a split in the metal, that looks like some sort of impact to the siidewall/topskin. Warranty is there to protect from manufacturer defect, that does not look like a defect but impact. That does not look like warranty but if Kastle wants to do something with "goodwill" that is their call.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seeing all of the maring in the sidewalls and seeing that there is a split in the metal, that looks like some sort of impact to the siidewall/topskin. Warranty is there to protect from manufacturer defect, that does not look like a defect but impact. That does not look like warranty but if Kastle wants to do something with "goodwill" that is their call.

TS
Tlri

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Only impact was on icy New Hampshire bumps. But I spend more time following my kids than pushing it these days.
When I’m venturing into the woods it’s either on old beaters or more often on my tele gear.
No base or edge damage on the ski at all.

I’ve emailed Kastle will see what response I receive.

I will say I am a little disappointed. For a $1200 ski to only get 2 short seasons seems less than expected.
I formerly skied 100+ days a season for multiple years and was an area rep for a ski company and haven’t seen anything like that after pretty limited use.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow - that's pretty disturbing; just bought a pair of 84s and love them. Hopefully my lack of heels will allow avoidance of such a nightmare. Based on your description of use and lack of base and edge damage it seems unlikely that this was the result of abuse. In fact the photos don't show nearly enough evidence of even "normal" top sheet edge nicking to suspect serious trauma. Definitely intact Kastle and keep us posted. Good luck!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't looked at the pics on a big screen yet. But wondering if it's possible that they were on the bottom of a loose pile in a roof box or something.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pics show obvious opposing edge impacts and cuts against the part of the ski that is coming apart. The ski won't come apart if you would ski with your feet spread apart a bit. 80% of the time, ski delamination is due to impact abuse. The skis aren't designed to go through that type of abuse. You will commonly see this with this type of sandwich construction, regardless of brand. It's simple, don't bang them together...

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The company wants you to give them the opportunity to make it right and to keep you as a customer. If your perception is the product us not living up to your expectations then call Customer service explain the situation and tell them what you expect.

TS
Tlri

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the reply’s.
I’ve reached out to Kastle, we’ll see where it goes from there. Skis were transported in a roof box with 4 other pairs of skis but they all had ski ties on them and were loaded so they wouldn’t bounce around. The damage was noticed and present before driving home.

As to abuse I’d have to say no, as to ski technique I’m sure I have room to improve but have never been told I have a narrow stance that would cause ski damage. I’m a level 3 alpine, and adaptive instructor and level 2 tele.
I worked in the ski industry for a number of years but joined the ranks of the weekend warriors about 12 years ago.

I’ll keep you posted if/when I get a reply from Kastle.
AC301C4F-B433-4105-9F2F-C3878BB90837.jpeg ECF48A72-D714-4FCF-9D32-6E3A3E9E944A.jpeg 3C51C8FF-A57E-4FA2-9D2C-754F761FB5BC.jpeg 4862ED00-3510-4FE7-9833-CE5FCC9C607E.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski won't come apart if you would ski with your feet spread apart a bit.

Meh. As a narrow-stanced skier, I know from many years of self-criticism that the part of the ski that's prone to abrasion and chipping is the shovel, and to a lesser extent the tail. Almost never the waist. Simple geometry with a shaped ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you have them locked up somewhere with a cable lock? Those divots on the sidewall look like they were created by an upward force, something prying against them. Maybe a cable or wire cutter? Someone tried to steal your skis and failed, but left behind the damage?

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Work in a shop for a few years and you'll notice (especially on rental skis) that the area right in front of the binding toe piece takes a ton of abuse. Cuts, delam's,chipping topsheets, etc., are all extremely common in this part of the ski. The pure, World Cup Sandwich Sidewall construction (like on many race skis and Kastle MX series) where that laminates are stacked up like a sandwich and exposed at the top edge of the ski can be prone to this type of damage. If you look at many manufacturer's "all-mountain" skis, this sandwich construction is commonly modified to where the topsheet wraps over the top edge of the sidewall, or is rounded off, etc., so that it is somewhat protected from opposing edge issues. If you have a ski with this type of construction, you can prevent this type of issue if you aggressively 'bevel" the top edge of the sidewall/topsheet area to a 45 Deg. angle. This won't negatively affect the performance of the ski, but will go a long way to preventing this type of damage.

Sponsor

Staff online