• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just bought a pair of Stockli Montero AR's -anyone tried em?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there are a lot of skis that are "as good as ..." and "on par with ..." ... the Stockli. But there is a bit of zealousness with Stockli loyalists, it is does mean they are wrong about the ski, it is damn good so in most cases just get the Stockli, because to paraphrase Warren Miller, "if you don't do it this year you will only be poorer when you do". Because if you buy something else, won't be happy and just end up buying it down the road.
Yeah...whereas on Skitalk for things like skiing in general or ski technique or food or booze or hanging skis or waxing skis or tuning skis or cars or etc, etc and everything else ...there isn't any.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Kidding aside, I skied the Laser AR a few years ago. My impression was that it was better in crud than the AX and had similar or better edge hold on groomers. It really wants to carve on groomers. Railing turns, no problem, and lots of fun on them. The flex pattern is very nice on them and the ride is smooth. They were workable in the bumps, but bumps were not really their thing.

I then switched back to my beat up Kendos (2017ish vintage), which were actually tuned properly for once (not that I never get them tuned, just that the average shop at the resort does a crap job on my skis). The Kendos vs AR - the Kendos gave up some groomer performance for more forgiveness/versatility off piste. I liked the tuned Kendos more than the AR, which probably had a bad tune based on the pivot slip testing.

James

Out There
Instructor
I kinda get the impression that moving the AX up to 80 and the AR up to 84 put the AR in a "no man''s' land", as the primary use for the extra width is to float and get through the chop, but you're now just 4mm away from the Stormrider 88 and the AX at 80 is probably a better gap ski between a floaty ski and a carve performance ski.
I tend to agree, but there’s more to skis than just width. Plenty of skis in the 80-84 category. Big difference between the Kastle MX 83/4 and 88.

I dare say no ski has been more over analyzed without skiing it than the Montero AR. Stockli probably should have left the dimensions, and graphics!, alone.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Weird. I like the AR's and thought the edge grip was excellent, but the local rep does a nice job of prepping his fleet.
You….you mean that the tune and proper fitting boots make a bigger difference as to whether a ski performs?

Such…..such blasphemy!!

Next you’re going to say technique is important.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I dare say no ski has been more over analyzed without skiing it than the Montero AR. Stockli probably should have left the dimensions, and graphics!, alone.
I don't always over analyze a ski, but when I do it's one I have not skied on :roflmao: Reviews that say 'Why did they change the name and comment on graphics tell me they son't have much to say about the actual skiing experience. :doh:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You….you mean that the tune and proper fitting boots make a bigger difference as to whether a ski performs?

Such…..such blasphemy!!

Next you’re going to say technique is important.

:golfclap:

After awhile, everything tastes like chicken.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So far unless i am wrong pretty much no one but pug who has replied here has actually skied on the Montero AR's.
Late again here but I have skied on them. I loved them & have a pair ordered!! I have been skiing on the Laser AR the past 3 days & I love them too!!!
l bought them because I like a ski with a tighter radius that will rail caves but wide enough to ski comfortably off piste, in crud, wind blown, steeps & not kill me in the bumps… In essence a carving biased all mountain ski. I think this ski will fit the bill.
When I skied the AR Montero last year, I was most impressed in the way that they seamlessly moved from short to medium radius turns. They are not a ski that is going to rodeo you into the air with a small misstep but plenty of ski to hold a big ski bend & not bump you around.
but
That is me & I often dislike skis that others like & now it seems l am liking a ski that others don’t. YMMV ogwink
EA0F7B8D-7264-4FDF-A2E8-0DE119E13D5C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Late again here but I have skied on them. I loved them & have a pair ordered!! I have been skiing on the Laser AR the past 3 days & I love them too!!!
l bought them because I like a ski with a tighter radius that will rail caves but wide enough to ski comfortably off piste, in crud, wind blow, steeps & not kill me in the bumps… In essence a carving biased all mountain ski. I think this ski will fit the bill.
When I skied the AR Montero last year, I was most impressed in the way that they seamlessly moved from short to medium radius turns. They are not a ski that is going to rodeo you into the air with a small misstep but plenty of ski to hold a big ski bend & not bump you around.
but
That is me & I often dislike skis that others like & now it seems l am liking a ski that others don’t. YMMV ogwink
View attachment 183472
Don't know about the Montero but certainly several other known-strong skiers here liked the Laser AR a whole lot.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m a little surprised with you 4str,,,,Stokley ???
In the immortal words of sheriff Buford T Justice :
“ Whaat Is This World Coming To “

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So i'm confused, because I've heard conflicting reports on this, which honestly in my mind only further supports this:
I don't always over analyze a ski, but when I do it's one I have not skied on
...but back on topic, I've read and heard people saying the Montero AR is both stiffer and heavier than the Laser version. If I recall correctly, when the AR/AX were Lasers the AX was the stiffer ski and the AR was the softer shovel/more turn initiation friendly ski. It seems as though that's changed this go about? Sounds like the Montero AX is now the softer ski and the AR is the heavier/damper/stiffer ski. Anyone have both that can flex them and compare? I only have the Laser AR personally.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stop it. Stöckli only for posers, around here at least. Too smooth! Too easy! Impossible to show your man-mettle with such a ski.
Ah. Right. Forgot.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrats on this thread going full circle from starting like a TGR like “mock the newbie poster” thread to a “over analyzed a ski no one’s been on” like I’m proud to expect from this site! :roflmao:

Many of the 23 Stockli models are on the Soothski.com site to compare the new Montego AR and AX to the old Laser versions.

The AR actually only gained a whooping 1mm of width underfoot(83mm) and in the tail and went down 3mm in the tip. Not enough difference to even change the measured turning radius.
AX also gains only 1mm underfoot, in the tip and gains 3mm in the tail.

Weight and flex between the AR and AX remain similar to each other and between the Laser and Montego versions. All within pair to pair variances really.

Thinking any reviews about them not being very similar to the old model might be feeling differences other than the skis themselves.

With the exact same tunes, binding mount positions, same bindings used on the same conditions, I’m betting it would be hard to differentiate between the Laser and Montego versions if you couldn’t see the top sheets.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’m a little surprised with you 4str,,,,Stokley ???
In the immortal words of sheriff Buford T Justice :
“ Whaat Is This World Coming To “
Honestly I came into the Stockli thing with no preconceived ideas, no intention & totally unaware of their cult following or their high price! Someone will need to explain the stigma I apparently am supposed to be experiencing? :ogbiggrin:

Two years ago on the final day at snowbasin a friend suggested I take a couple of laps on his Laser ARs. After being disappointed on almost every ski I had tried out for the 5 or 10 previous seasons I had pretty much given up hope. It seemed like every ski wider than 80 MM was going to have some kind of radical early tip and tail rise which except for bottomless powder is just not my thing.
I really liked my friends skis, but it was afternoon spring slush which is pretty forgiving & difficult to get a true evaluation. During those runs, I was able to get on and off piste, some steep bumps, some medium pitch and some flats. I decided at that time that it was a ski worth pursuing & in those conditions the one thing I new for sure is that they were not easily deflected in the deep, wet crud.

@Philpug has assured me that there are a few others in his demo fleet that l would probably like but since I would rather rack up vertical than spend time testing skis l went for what for me seems like a sure thing. So much so that I bought a pair of lightly used lasers AR’s along with the Montero’s that are being shipped.

Last season when the demo guys came to town I took the opportunity to jump on this year’s Montero AR In firmer conditions. My early impressions were confirmed, & since I had made a pact early in my skiing career that if you loved a ski right away, you need to buy it… So I did, end of story.
:crossfingers:

PS: I also skied the Stormrider 88 for my second time that day & although I liked it, l didn’t luv it :huh:

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly I came into the Stockli thing with no preconceived ideas, no intention & totally unaware of their cult following or their high price! Someone will need to explain the stigma I apparently am supposed to be experiencing? :ogbiggrin:

Two years ago on the final day at snowbasin a friend suggested I take a couple of laps on his Laser ARs. After being disappointed on almost every ski I had tried out for the 5 or 10 previous seasons I had pretty much given up hope. It seemed like every ski wider than 80 MM was going to have some kind of radical early tip and tail rise which except for bottomless powder is just not my thing.
I really liked my friends skis, but it was afternoon spring slush which is pretty forgiving & difficult to get a true evaluation. During those runs, I was able to get on and off piste, some steep bumps, some medium pitch and some flats. I decided at that time that it was a ski worth pursuing & in those conditions the one thing I new for sure is that they were not easily deflected in the deep, wet crud.

Last season when the demo guys came to town I took the opportunity to jump on this year’s Montero AR In firmer conditions. My early impressions were confirmed, & since I had made a pact early in my skiing career that if you loved a ski right away, you need to buy it… So I did, end of story.
:crossfingers:

PS: I also skied the Stormrider 88 for my second time that day & although I liked it, l didn’t luv it :huh:
Having seen you ski I find this really interesting. You were getting enough turn energy out of the AR? Where did the 88 leave you short and in what conditions did you have them?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It seemed like every ski wider than 80 MM was going to have some kind of radical early tip and tail rise which except for bottomless powder is just not my thing.

Having seen you ski I find this really interesting. You were getting enough turn energy out of the AR? Where did the 88 leave you short and in what conditions did you have them?

The above quote may explain it. While the rise on the SR is far from "radical" as all mountain skis go, the overall tip design - which includes the flex pattern, the shape (top view), the relationship between the contact point and the widest point, etc - does not prioritize quick and positive hookup in the way that Lasers generally do. That's part of the point of the SR series, right?

Sponsor

Staff online