• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just bought a pair of Stockli Montero AR's -anyone tried em?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
SL= slalom ski, short turning radius
FIS= International Ski Federation, the governing body for World Cup racing, which sets the standards to which skis need to be built for competition.

Those skis tend to be better made than the "consumer" slalom skis. There are many skiers here who feel the advantages of such a ski (typically stiffer flex, greater responsiveness and precision) are worth the additional expense. Generally speaking most people don't use them as all-mountain skis, but there are a few who flout their "superior" skills by using them everywhere. Or say that they do, even when they do not.

And then there's the issue of plug boots. But we won't mention that.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Generally speaking most people don't use them as all-mountain skis, but there are a few who flout their "superior" skills by using them everywhere. Or say that they do, even when they do not.

1668540740508.jpeg

:roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But, but,…they’re a one trick pony!
I know you cheat, and get a small pony and a big pony. So there’s two tricks.

Like my Mama taught me. If at first you don't succeed, cheat.

The skis may be one trick pony but the skier shouldn't be.

Generally speaking most people don't use them as all-mountain skis, but there are a few who flout their "superior" skills by using them everywhere. Or say that they do, even when they do not.

I am sure many do that.

Many here has skied with Andrew while he is on his all mountain FIS SL. Including @James
I am on them about 25% of my ski days.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Definitely NO on that. It's a dull ski. No thrills at all, IMO.

I have to wonder if the reviewer overloaded those skis. We don't know the size of the reviewer, but perhaps the stiffer 180 or 185 would have been better for the individual. I've been on Lazer ARs that were one size too short for me, and they sometimes felt like the reviewed Montero ARs.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have to wonder if the reviewer overloaded those skis. We don't know the size of the reviewer, but perhaps the stiffer 180 or 185 would have been better for the individual. I've been on Lazer ARs that were one size too short for me, and they sometimes felt like the reviewed Montero ARs.
True so many variables that go into a review that are not listed hard to take it as gospel.

James

Out There
Instructor
The “reviewer” was either 87 or 90kgs. 191 or 198lbs. Basically no difference. But @Cheizz could confirm.

As bad as the search engine is here, it works well enough for some things. Skis are what they are, but it’s relative to an individual’s preference, habits, and abilities.

While FIFA is a four letter non word, FIS is only three.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
The “reviewer” was either 87 or 90kgs. 191 or 198lbs. Basically no difference. But @Cheizz could confirm.

As bad as the search engine is here, it works well enough for some things. Skis are what they are, but it’s relative to an individual’s preference, habits, and abilities.

While FIFA is a four letter non word, FIS is only three.
The search engine reveals 2 people's 'opinion' of the ski. Not a definitive answer thus the benifit of a forum and a thread to get a consensus! So far unless i am wrong pretty much no one but pug who has replied here has actually skied on the Montero AR's.

Good news is I jst got my shipping upgradded to 2 day and Lord willing will have the skis fri and skiing Sat/Sun -my thoughts and opinions will follow. By the way I am a better skier than I think :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
The search engine reveals 2 people's 'opinion' of the ski. Not a definitive answer thus the benifit of a forum and a thread to get a consensus! So far unless i am wrong pretty much no one but pug who has replied here has actually skied on the Montero AR's
Plenty of people skied the Laser AR version. It’s basically the same. If you expect night and day, you’d be wrong.

The skis will be just fine.They still have the baby seal skin in them.

> No baby seals were clubbed in the making of these skis. They were dead when we got them. <

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The search engine reveals 2 people's 'opinion' of the ski. Not a definitive answer thus the benifit of a forum and a thread to get a consensus! So far unless i am wrong pretty much no one but pug who has replied here has actually skied on the Montero AR's.
No, if your read our review page of the ski, 4 testers got on the ski.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Good news is I jst got my shipping upgradded to 2 day and Lord willing will have the skis fri and skiing Sat/Sun -my thoughts and opinions will follow. By the way I am a better skier than I think :roflmao:

Fear not, the ski will be fine. Plus you can always pull out the Mantras if you miss the edge.
As was mentioned above the AR is perhaps the most polarizing ski in the Stockli community. Unlike the AX or SR95 or the Nelas which are (almost) universally loved, some are not in love with AR and others swear by them so you will have to draw your own conclusions when you ski them.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I skied on them myself—90 kg. I skied the 175 Laser AR too, and didn't overpower those. And as the review says: smaller/lighter skier experience the knocks on the knees and the dullness less than bigger skiers. Still very 'meh' though (direct quote from a 67 kg skier).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
So far unless i am wrong pretty much no one but pug who has replied here has actually skied on the Montero AR's.
I skied them. I reviewed them. Three of my co-testers also skied them. I included their opinions as well: more or less the same as mine - only smaller skiers disliked it less intensely ;)

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been mentally conglomerating the limited review information out there for these skis too and I'm seeing a correlation in people saying the move to the Montero build was a step backwards. Looks like the AR's saw the bigger chance compared to the AX believe it or not. AR's seem to have gotten heavier, stiffer, and a more demanding tail. Not necessarily tweaks people would have been seeking in the line up. People who have skied the Montero AX seem to still be fairly enamored with it, but it has taken a step closer to what the LASER AR was and further away from the rest of the laser line up. I kinda get the impression that moving the AX up to 80 and the AR up to 84 put the AR in a "no man''s' land", as the primary use for the extra width is to float and get through the chop, but you're now just 4mm away from the Stormrider 88 and the AX at 80 is probably a better gap ski between a floaty ski and a carve performance ski.

I would encourage listening to Bob from SkiEssentials talk about the AR in their review video (Yes, I know he loves them and apparently plans to buy them) but even outside of Phil's warning about retailers having biased reviews, he tends to naturally talk about things that aren't opinion (stiffness, weight, ski "phonics", etc...) which I think helps characterize the ski. The ski's build characteristics won't lie, people's opinion of its performance will. If that makes sense?

While I haven't been on the Montero's I'm under the impression that this was not an improvement on the Laser AR/AX models, more of a re-direction. Which I find unfortunate, but in the world of market volatility and the need for infinite sales growth sometimes you have to make a change for the sake of making a change. Hype is real. Bum's me out because I really like the new topsheet graphics and was planning to pick up the AX's, but now I find myself wondering what I would use them for.

Sponsor

Staff online