• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just bought a pair of Stockli Montero AR's -anyone tried em?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The above quote may explain it. While the rise on the SR is far from "radical" as all mountain skis go, the overall tip design - which includes the flex pattern, the shape (top view), the relationship between the contact point and the widest point, etc - does not prioritize quick and positive hookup in the way that Lasers generally do. That's part of the point of the SR series, right?
What I find interesting about the AR is how some good skiers describe it as reactive while other good skiers feel it's unreactive. I would have figured JF as being in the latter camp. The SR 88 has very little rise. The AR has some. I actually haven't been on the current 88, I own the prior (2020) so I can only extrapolate, the current tip is different. But for an 88 width I find mine to be pretty quick and pull into the turn, well, like a Stockli when I want them to, while being ace in crud and mixed conditions in a way I wouldn't think the AR would.

And I think what JF is saying is he bought the AR Montero too which isn't a Laser either.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Having seen you ski I find this really interesting. You were getting enough turn energy out of the AR? Where did the 88 leave you short and in what conditions did you have them?
I did not dislike the SR’s in fact I’m sure they would be on my list but with a 98 waisted already in my quiver (Goode Fire not pictured) the AR just fit my current needs best.
My current front row quiver -1…
F6D10D27-86FC-40C0-9630-2E9520FF0954.jpeg

When it comes to energy, those Volkl’s in the middle provide enough to make up for any lack there of in the AR.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not dislike the SR’s in fact I’m sure they would be on my list but with a 98 waisted already in my quiver (Goode Fire not pictured) the AR just fit my current needs best.
My current front row quiver -1…
View attachment 183557
When it comes to energy, those Volkl’s in the middle provide enough to make up for any lack there of in the AR.
Very nice...makes sense to me now.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly I came into the Stockli thing with no preconceived ideas, no intention & totally unaware of their cult following or their high price! Someone will need to explain the stigma I apparently am supposed to be experiencing? :ogbiggrin:

Two years ago on the final day at snowbasin a friend suggested I take a couple of laps on his Laser ARs. After being disappointed on almost every ski I had tried out for the 5 or 10 previous seasons I had pretty much given up hope. It seemed like every ski wider than 80 MM was going to have some kind of radical early tip and tail rise which except for bottomless powder is just not my thing.
I really liked my friends skis, but it was afternoon spring slush which is pretty forgiving & difficult to get a true evaluation. During those runs, I was able to get on and off piste, some steep bumps, some medium pitch and some flats. I decided at that time that it was a ski worth pursuing & in those conditions the one thing I new for sure is that they were not easily deflected in the deep, wet crud.

@Philpug has assured me that there are a few others in his demo fleet that l would probably like but since I would rather rack up vertical than spend time testing skis l went for what for me seems like a sure thing. So much so that I bought a pair of lightly used lasers AR’s along with the Montero’s that are being shipped.

Last season when the demo guys came to town I took the opportunity to jump on this year’s Montero AR In firmer conditions. My early impressions were confirmed, & since I had made a pact early in my skiing career that if you loved a ski right away, you need to buy it… So I did, end of story.
:crossfingers:

PS: I also skied the Stormrider 88 for my second time that day & although I liked it, l didn’t luv it :huh:
Damn that friend @utskier! I swear he had you out on his AXs because he had sold the ARs (2020 version) and then sold that pair of AXs to my brother before last season. Picked up the 2022 AXs last season (loves them) but demoed the ARs at ski testing last winter and ordered a pair. He's debating keeping both as they are different enough (or are they?) For reference @4ster and @utskier have taught together for years with @utskier still teaching. Knowing JF, I think he knew he'd rather like the Stocklis. ;)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Damn that friend @utskier! I swear he had you out on his AXs because he had sold the ARs (2020 version) and then sold that pair of AXs to my brother before last season. Picked up the 2022 AXs last season (loves them) but demoed the ARs at ski testing last winter and ordered a pair. He's debating keeping both as they are different enough (or are they?) For reference @4ster and @utskier have taught together for years with @utskier still teaching. Knowing JF, I think he knew he'd rather like the Stocklis. ;)
You are probably right about that. Now that I think about they may have been yellow & I decided I liked them but were narrower than what I needed, therefore the AR’s were a better fit for me.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You are probably right about that. Now that I think about they may have been yellow & I decided I liked them but were narrower than what I needed, therefore the AR’s were a better fit for me.
Yes, I remember you saying you wanted them a little wider. I also remember you taking another run on them. ;) His ARs were also the 184s?? A tad long, honestly. The news ones are supposed to arrive in December. Not sure but I think he has a 175 coming.

Call me crazy, but I just think there's something about skis with wood and metal. Throw in some magic pixie dust and voila! Sublimely smooth skis that are quiet and composed yet have ample energy when pushed.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I remember you saying you wanted them a little wider. I also remember you taking another run on them. ;) His ARs were also the 184s?? A tad long, honestly. The news ones are supposed to arrive in December. Not sure but I think he has a 175 coming.

Call me crazy, but I just think there's something about skis with wood and metal. Throw in some magic pixie dust and voila! Sublimely smooth skis that are quiet and composed yet have ample energy when pushed.
I could call you Crazy, but I prefer calling you Amy.

I would normally agree, but I have a couple of ON3P’s that don’t have metal, and they are smooth when I want smooth and energetic when I want energy. Bamboo and fiberglass/carbon composite.

I think there is something to the quality of construction and attention to detail that is a common factor with skis that are smooth and still energetic, as Phil often puts it, a premium ski has a wider envelop of how you can use it and who can enjoy it.

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled Stockli fandom session.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok, I'm back (OP here) AKA 'newbie' here but been on the slopes since 1979 learning to ski at China Peak in the central Sierras of Calf:daffy: Additionally I lived in Tahoe in the 90's with numerous monster winters and was a passholder at Kirkwood for 3 years. Also skied Squaw, Alpine, Heavenly, Mt Rose, and Sierra ski ranch as well

The past 2 days I got about 25 runs in on my brand new Montero AR's at the local report -Dodge Ridge. Context of what I am comparing them to is I have not skied dozens of brands and models like many of you which may be good or bad. The 2 skis I've spent the most time on is the Volkl Kendo 88 and the Mantra (my favorite)

Stockli Montero 84 waist 170 length
Less steep terrain:

They did not overly impress me and seemed to need more input for speed and to dig in. They were smooth but not amazing just felt like a good ski. Disclaimer, the runs had some thin sections and went through the factory wax really fast so that may have been a factor in my perception of them not getting up to speed on lower angle runs?

Black diamond hard pack groomers: The gravity of the steeper terrain and *initiating tip to tail type turning in both large railing GS turns and medium ones held a firm edge with no chatter, transitioned edges smoothly an really responded to my input providing smiles for miles!

I will say with short quick turns they really needed to be driven a bit more and could be described as a bit less than 'snappy' . Fortunately I don't ski those type of turns very often and am happy with the performance in the GS type turns. You let them go and they get up to speed fast and absolutely respond to your input. Ski lazy and you'll pay -I fell once which never happens. Then began to focus on my turns and getting the tip to dig in a bit more from the soles of my feet ever so subtly.

For the sake of comparison to my current favorite ski (Volkl Mantra M6)

Mantra- has more energy coming out of the turn, the Montero had plenty but not that sensation of being shot out of the turn.
Montero is almost a mix of the Mantra and the Kendo I skied a lot last year. Thinner under foot but still has a good edge control and a sense of power due to the girth of the wood and metal mix in the ski

I will say the mantras feel more 'automatic' both getting up to speed faster and swooping in/out of turns. The AR needs skier input more, but once you figure that out and think a little more on early tip initiation into turns they rail really well and are a lot of fun!

Worth the extra dough? Performance wise that's debatable, however, they are really well made and apparently they go through a lot of hands in the production with a focus on quality control and consistency with top shelf materials going into the construction. If you had to make payments on them to buy em I would pass.

All day ski? Doubtful in the spring, but this time of year with the sun low on the horizon it did great into the afternoon. This weekend the other local resort Bear valley opens with longer and steeper runs, so more to come :Teleb:

Cheers from California!

Don

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online