• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One more from today.
Good to see her taking care of her health.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One more from today.
Good to see her taking care of her health.

Welll.... she's risking an off-tone scar by exposing her incision to the sun like that. Either a full cover for now, and high SPF once the incision has healed for the first 1-2 years. Otherwise, that's gonna leave a mark that only a deft plastic surgeon can fix.

Anterior approach - thus why she can ambulate with just a cane from the start.

And I agree: seeing the post-op X-ray, she'll need the left side done quite soon.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Wishing her well....but not exactly a shocker. People, in the know, have been saying that she has known that she needed two new hips three plus years ago. So, as soon as this one is "good to go", I bet she'll have the other done. Perhaps in the early fall.

To me, it sort of illustrates the reality of what was going on over the past three WC seasons. This whole "show" took a lot of energy, and either exhausted or infuriated a lot of people. It was all about Julia, and her team monetizing what they could as the Olympics approached and to some degree the USST, USSA and NBC using her in every possible media opportunity.

Now.....I bet we're going to see a real social media race! She has a lot of catching up to do. LV has four times as many followers. I precict that we'll see Julia selling everything and anything, and being the spokesmodel for who knows what in the future. While she and her surfer husband live in Fiji.

There will be some ski related marketing for sure. I would bet on her joining the Alterra stable.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Welll.... she's risking an off-tone scar by exposing her incision to the sun like that. Either a full cover for now, and high SPF once the incision has healed for the first 1-2 years. Otherwise, that's gonna leave a mark that only a deft plastic surgeon can fix.
You can call that dedication too... everything for photo in swimming suit :D

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
She has been posting on Instagram stories too of her walking right away. Ouch.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, they want total hip replacement patients to bear weight and walk right away. As soon as my hematocrit was back to normal (I lost a lot of blood during my surgery due to hardware removal), I was encouraged to walk with full weight bearing. It was more awkward than painful.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
More news from Julia Mancuso

Muleski

Inactive
I would think the entire free ski world knows that news after yesterday. She has not been shy about it with her social media.....shocker. Today's posts announce that they are having a boy. If he has a third of his parents athletic genes, he'll be all-world in most anything/everything!

Congratulations!

Last edited:

Darn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Pass Pulled
Yes but if they were Golden Retrievers they’d be inexpensive because of hip dysphasia.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know what a doctor’s reccomendation would be for a racer who just found out that she’s pregnant? Stop imediately or is it ”safe” the first months from a clinical perspective? Not at all in relation to JM, just curious (for another reason) and thought there’s some tiny connection here ogsmile

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Does anyone know what a doctor’s reccomendation would be for a racer who just found out that she’s pregnant? Stop imediately or is it ”safe” the first months from a clinical perspective? Not at all in relation to JM, just curious (for another reason) and thought there’s some tiny connection here ogsmile
Depends on the doctor?
Racing is prob a very bad idea after 3 months.

---------
"I skied during each of my pregnancies, from roughly three months to six months pregnant. The limiting factor for me was that at about 6 months, I no longer had ski clothing that fit. Then I switched from skiing to snowshoeing, wearing lots of fleece layers — all from my husband!

My doctor was okay with me skiing and asked me to stick to easy, comfortable terrain and away from crazy crowds. Of course, I had an appointment with a different doctor one day and she said, “Well, it isn’t like you’d do something stupid, like skiing while pregnant.”

I kept my mouth shut, smiled and nodded."
Alyssa Erickson
-------------
Several years later, the three kids:
IMG_6123.JPG

https://braveskimom.com/skiing-during-pregnancy-yes-or-no

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

This question is - inadvertently, I'm sure - a magnet for a lot of disagreement and hurt feelings. I'm gonna go with "it depends on what you and your doctor decide, the particulars of your situation, and what degree of risk you're comfortable with."

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This question is - inadvertently, I'm sure - a magnet for a lot of disagreement and hurt feelings. I'm gonna go with "it depends on what you and your doctor decide, the particulars of your situation, and what degree of risk you're comfortable with."

Feel free to ignore it. I just want to hear about what people have been adviced. If anyone wants to argue about it, start another thread. Period.

Muleski

Inactive
@Swede, Now....this was 32 years ago, BUT.....my wife's doctor was a skier. He and his family had a ski home where we did. He also had known my wife since she was kid and knew that she was both an athlete and a very strong skier.

He had the opinion that she should be prudent with her skiing. And she was. Was primarily on the lookout to avoid getting hit. She's the type of skier who may fall once every couple of years, other than if it's in deep powder. So, she dialed it back and then dialed it back further as the season progressed, in terms of the speed, the terrain, the crowds, and the length of her day. She enjoyed being outside, and being with friends. As the season wore on, more walking with the dogs, and more snowshoeing, a little bit of gentle Nordic skiing on groomed trails.

Our son was born in June, and she skied until it got really soft and slushy in the late spring. Skied through mid March as I recall. Three years later, she was doing the same, maybe a bit more confident as she had been there before. Our daughter was born in July, and we spent a lot of the late spring skiing and playing on skis with our son, just short of his 3rd birthday.

Her doctor was fine with it, and he told us that he was that way because she was a string skier, and he felt somebody who would be very "smart" about her skiing. There were parts of the mountain that she simply did not ski that season, and others that she avoided on weekends. Skipped a few really crowded days for the most part. Like I mentioned, he had expressed that his only real concern was her being hit, and since that had not happened in her 30+ years of skiing, and she was comfortable wither head "on a swivel" with me generally skiing behind her....all good. And he knew that she would not push herself.

She did pickup a couple of pairs of "classic" ski pants that she had altered to work! We had a couple of other friends, pregnant and skiing that spring. Same doctor, BTW.

Like I said that was a long time ago.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ulrike Meier won the 1989 WC downhill gold medal three months pregnant. Doubtful her doctor recommended her racing!
Passed away in 1994.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ulrike Meier won the 1989 WC downhill gold medal three months pregnant. Doubtful her doctor recommended her racing!
Passed away in 1994.
That was very, very sad. Her 4 yr old daughter at the time now has her own child.

Sponsor

Staff online