• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
This was a truly wonderful post! It is so easy to obsess about performance that the sheer enjoyment of skiing 'in the moment' is lost. So many people look so incredibly serious all the time, you wonder why they're there at all. I understand the desire to improve, but what's the point if you're not actually enjoying yourself? Especially if there is nothing riding on it but your own self-esteem. It's one of the reasons I actually like to be on the same mountain as children and super excited beginners. They're usually having a blast!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But, but, but...

If it weren’t for the hope of improvement, half of the east coast skiers will only ski half the number of days!
I am sure Dan isn't saying that we don't need to work on technique or improve our skiing. I think he's saying that we need to cut ourselves some slack and just enjoy the mountain.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Embrace the journey.
Self criticism IS an integral part of the “journey” of improvement.

But I think I’ll experiment with taking the advice. No lessons, no drills, stay home when condition is beyond what I can handle. Save on gas money too.

I’ll just embrace remaining “consciously incompetent” to avoid any negativity.

As for the joy of improvement, that’s reserved for the more mentally balanced who can be critically self aware but never to the point of self criticism.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Self criticism IS an integral part of the “journey” of improvement.

But I think I’ll experiment with taking the advice. No lessons, no drills, stay home when condition is beyond what I can handle. Save on gas money too.

I’ll just embrace remaining “consciously incompetent” to avoid any negativity.

As for the joy of improvement, that’s reserved for the more mentally balanced who can be critically self aware but never to the point of self criticism.

There's a little book titled: Brilliant Skiing, Every Day; by Weems Westfeldt. You should get it and internalize it. I read it several times a year. It's audience is aimed at beginners to experts. It could transform your life.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Weems has stopped selling it and says we can freely distribute the pdf.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thanks @Dan Egan Each persons journey is unique in that for some, skiing 5-7 days per season, the joy is realized much differently than the .01% found here but is no different. I advocate and encourage skiers to improve skills but frankly, if a skier on a powder day falls all day and is exhausted struggling but still is smiling and exuberant at the end of the day, is that any less fun or satisfying to that person than my powder day? I say no. I owe Dan and @Eric Lipton a world of thanks. I attended Dan's Clinics in Chile many years ago, I was totally over my head and I totally sucked, but despite the frustration and fear of a lot of the terrain, it was a game changing experience. I think I enjoyed the experience more than some of the experienced, skilled skiers. I couldn't wait to get back into those situations! I didn't always have this outlook and I'm glad I have changed my POV.. It has improved my own enjoyment of skiing.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There's a little book titled: Brilliant Skiing, Every Day; by Weems Westfeldt. You should get it and internalize it. I read it several times a year. It's audience is aimed at beginners to experts. It could transform your life.
Aaaah, the sports diamond.
Power
Purpose
Will
Touch.

What Dan is talking about is the touch.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Link, @Steve, please!

5.95 Kindle version off Amazon - bought it as that's less than a good beer around some of these parts.

LOVE this thread, I read it immediately after the Marcus Caston appreciation (most recent) thread - as I prepare for the next two trips - Banff and then Editing out my Freudian slip Killing Kicking Horse and Fernie. Serendipity much?

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I had the book for some years now. But my reading of it is very different than yours.

And I’ll be frank. Your take doesn’t apply to everyone. And anyone who think their understand is the only right one needs to learn a lot more than those they preach to.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you @Dan Egan This reminder is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. Especially after the @Brock Tice thread about not holding people up and after skiing several days with people way too much younger and stronger.. like 20-30 years younger. :eek::doh:.

Realized just last night that I need to tone down the drive for proving I can ski this or that (fill in the gnarblank) at this or that speed. Needed very much to take a breath (pun intended) and remember this isn't a job or a test; I do this for fun and to be in the moment in nature if only for a little while. Thank you. Thank you.

Sponsor

Staff online