• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is this true: *thinnest* socks are warmest?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this a sock thread?
Mamie tried skiing without socks for a season. 50+ days. Thought I was going die when I was washing out her liner at the end of the season. :ogcool:
Because socks wick away the moisture and all that goes with it. ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No I get that, I just don't understand how that funk doesn't get through to the liner as fast.

I suggest the sock doesn't actually wick for $hit.

I suggest the sock aerates.

Like a giant whisk, it creates the sweat version of beer foam that the actual liquid can't push through. Did I say whisk? One might just as easily suggest the aerator screen on your average kitchen faucet.

I suggest that, in car mechanic terms, those "wicking" channels are actually more vapour-locked than a low-pressure fuel line on a fine Saudi noon. I include thereby any so called "wicking" channels both in the sock and in any open-pore foam within the liner.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well there's no shortage of mushroom-like fungi in there... Might as well make a tasty dish of it.

That actually reminds me wrt my post above that - sweat foams up better than water or fuel because proteins make fantastic long-lasting bubbles.

And meringue proves it.

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Although feet are close to the ground, they don't touch the snow when skiing. The direct point of contact are the lugs and there's no way that would transfer the cold from the ground to the ski to the feet.

With hands, they are constantly touching the rubber handle of a cold pole or pole shaft when riding a lift. The back of the hand is much exposed from the wind and ambient air, compared to a hard plastic boot, with just leather or textile protecting it.

The only factor I can think of that causes cold feet is blood circulation issue, whether from individual biology or too tight a boot cutting circulation. Feet shouldn't be colder than hands because of the protection of the boot shell and liner, which is more robust than gloves.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I was exaggerating some in my original comment about socks being thin like nylons. I was more trying to make a point to normies about “thin socks”. They should be thin, really thin. Not two hiking socks instead of three. Socks are there to aid sliding into the liners and for wicking some moisture. They are not for insulation.

My experience has been that when people with cold feet switch to thin ski socks they can’t believe how much warmer they are.

My favorites are Wigwam Ultimax Light.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My Raichle F1s smelled like gumbo pot with extra roadkill. :eek:
Mmmmmmm gumbo.... Alllghhhhh...
Thinking of spicing up your hockey bag?
By the way, my American friends, the next time I'm down south I'm going on a gumbo quest..,
sweat foams up better than water or fuel because proteins make fantastic long-lasting bubbles.
Gumbo!! Focus!!! :roflmao:
Well...this thread took an interesting turn overnight :roflmao:

Note to self: Never eat gumbo offered up by @cantunamunch

James

Out There
Instructor
Shoe dryer and sterilizer for $29??

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just saw this thread. I was taught to use very thin socks back when I started skiing in the mid 1960s. I can't imagine skiing with a thick sock. I'm certain that I would miss the foot/boot conact. Just my opinion.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I know this is highly personal but I've skied exclusively in compression socks for the last five years or so. No risk of bunching, no sag in the sock and not too sweaty on a warm day. They do peel quite a lot of skin cells with them (and yeah no chance of changing mid day unless your feet are exceptionally dry). Takes one variable out of the boot fit conundrum entirely. Warmth does not seem to be a major problem (though I have switched to the wool lined toebox of a zipfit in recent years).

Sponsor