• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is this true: *thinnest* socks are warmest?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not purely so. By analogy, a tall-geared handwheel increases leverage, but if has a lot of backlash in the gear train, ye're effed for control.
Like the steering in a manual-box 1961 Ford Pick-up.... You more try to point it in the general direction you want to go..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A sock is like a base layer for your foot, we want it to wick away perspiration because a dry foot is a warmer than a wet foot and a thicker sock can retain water making the foot wet. With that said, skiing IS a cold weather sport and there needs to be some realistic expectations of what is warm.
This ^^^^ 100%

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Liners that wick moisture. Shells with a drainage port (that doesn't let snow and wet in).

Boot innovation is not over. There are more worlds to conquer after double pivots and Boa.

Or perhaps not needed. The foam in liners have a liquid (sweat) carrying capacity. That envelope of liquid in itself provides warmth. We "drain" this liquid at the end of the day by drying the boot.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not purely so. By analogy, a tall-geared handwheel increases leverage, but if has a lot of backlash in the gear train, ye're effed for control.
Ah yes, backlash, stiction, delay, and the other nasty nonlinearities. The bane of controls systems everywhere.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Live long and...perspire?

1698169190055.jpeg

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I should say the reason for this is likely that my boots don't fit that well and likely that's fairly typical.
I would say my boot fits quite well. Yet, I still need to loosen the buckle, better yet, take my feet out of the boot for 30 seconds after the first run. The amazing thing is, once I done that, the rest of day my feet are toasty warm.

Chowzerski

Love to free ski⛷️
Skier
I saw this in another thread:

And I find it hard to believe.* For sure, thick socks that don't fit in a boot being cold makes sense to me. Thick socks that allow the foot to move to much in the boot (thus jamming a bit) being cold makes sense to me.

But is a very thin sock - like "nylons" - really warmer than, say, a fairly thin (low cushion ski sock) or even moderate (medium cushion for skiing) sock, assuming they fit well in the boot. I've been cycling and XC sking i cold weather and don't see this at all in those domains.

How/why can this be?

* - makes sense that if someone has cold feet to check that the socks are not too thick for his boots.
It is because the boot keeps your feet warm. Todays ski boots are designed for warmth. It is important that you wear a designed pair of ski socks. Many companies make them , they also have areas such as the shin that’s thicker for more cushion. Any quality ski shop will lead you in the right direction and show you the advantages. Usually if you’re able to put on a thick hiking style sock then your boots are too big for your feet. When I was correctly fitted in my first year of living in mammoth I had to wear the thinnest socks I could find. This was before the sock companies introduced the design of ski socks that they have now.

James

Out There
Instructor
With leather lined liners, like some zipfits used to be, no way can you get your bare foot out after skiing. Chinese handcuffs syndrome. The whole liner has to come with it. That’s right, no socks at all.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't this just a question of taller boots to increase leverage? But tall boots have been tried before. But not in the last 40 (?) years. Maybe time for a reBOOT?

Why do you need more leverage. Are you focusing on the top of the boot cuff?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know why even the very thinnest socks somehow greatly slow the stink process...

Every time the sock comes out of the boot (with the foot). A bit of essence is removed along with it. Without the sock as a carrier, most of the essence are left behind. Essence has a way of accumulating over time.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
But where do they wick to? If they're remotely good at this wicking job, it won't take long for them to be as soaked through as TP stuck to the porcelain bowl.
Actually, the "wicking" function of modern fabric is pretty amazing. Even though my socks (or base layer of my body) may end up being soaked at the end of the day, my feet (or my body) "felt" dry! More importantly, my feet aren't cold.

I used wicking fabrics base layer when kayaking. Inside of a dry suit, the water has no place to go. At the end of the day, my base layer are often wet to the touch and my socks were soaked. But I didn't feel the wetness. Nor do I feel cold from the sweat.

James

Out There
Instructor
Mamie tried skiing without socks for a season. 50+ days. Thought I was going die when I was washing out her liner at the end of the season. :ogcool:
I didn’t like the clammy feeling when activity stops or slows down. No way did I make it 50 days! Who knew socks were so luxurious.

Then there’s the occasional spring day where the feet are sloshing in liquid.

Sponsor

Staff online