• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there such a thing as brushing too much?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You’re reading the base prep instructions. For the glide waxes they recommend a thin layer.

It takes maximum 1 gram per ski. As you learn to use it, less than. There is almost zero waste. Much time saved compared to iron waxing. Plus it hauls the mail.
BTW, I'm never came across any universal paste from them, and I've been using Dominator for over 25 years.
Maybe you speak of the old Hyper Zoom paste, so I guess that would be a universal. So yea, maybe. Even those waxes have a temperature range.
The FFC paste when bought at the 400 gram can size is like 0.27 cents per gram.
Yes was referencing the old Zoom Dominator paste as their version of "Universal"

I would have to buy two Dominator FFC's @ $180-200 to cover the same temp range as my Toko Universal wax (32 to -22 F) @ approx $30 (240gm to do more skis than I can count) .... Sorry, not even a close comparison when it comes to price. I just don't need that level of performance for recreational skiing when my skis are already feeling like ice skates after waxing and lasting plenty w/ much cheaper products. My technique is relatively fast like in the Q&P video so speed is no longer an issue now that I don't have to clean up meaning.... scrape and vacuum the floors after each waxing session. :beercheer:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Yes was referencing the old Zoom Dominator paste as their version of "Universal"

I would have to buy two Dominator FFC's @ $180-200 to cover the same temp range as my Toko Universal wax (32 to -22 F) @ approx 2 (240gm to do more skis than I can count) for $30.... Sorry not even a close comparison when it comes to price. I just don't need that level of performance for recreational skiing when my skis are already feeling like ice skates after waxing and lasting plenty w/ much cheaper products. My technique is relatively fast like in the Q&P video so speed is no longer an issue now that I don't have to clean up meaning.... scrape and vacuum the floors after each waxing session. :beercheer:
My feeling about the lower level pastes (and liquids) is that it's not necessarily about speed but just as much about time saved. I've been using Holmenkol liquids on my son's skis this season and the process is massively faster than hot waxing. And I'm very very efficient at hotwaxing.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For trips 7 -14 days I hotwax once (shop towel technique) before the trip then take a Zardoz Base Boost puck @$18 and apply every other day or so as needed. Then Hotwax again when I get back home to VT. The entire process is quick easy, no mess, efficient and no added baggage wgt . As much as we normally ski I have to keep it cheap, fast and efficient. :beercheer:

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You’re reading the base prep instructions. For the glide waxes they recommend a thin layer.

I suspect you're right, and Tognar's site misprinted the instructions, but they clearly state:
  1. Apply a thick layer and spread with included pad.
On the link you provided.

EDIT: You are correct. The Tognar site has the instructions for the base prep on the wax page. I'm going to hold off for now, hoping for end-of-season pricing, then pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

I would have to buy two Dominator FFC's @ $180-200 to cover the same temp range as my Toko Universal wax (32 to -22 F) @ approx $30 (240gm to do more skis than I can count) .... Sorry, not even a close comparison when it comes to price. I just don't need that level of performance for recreational skiing when my skis are already feeling like ice skates after waxing and lasting plenty w/ much cheaper products. My technique is relatively fast like in the Q&P video so speed is no longer an issue now that I don't have to clean up meaning.... scrape and vacuum the floors after each waxing session. :beercheer:
As long as you are happy, and having fun, it's all good.
I still say the FFC at $0.27 per gram is a slam! 54 cents for a wax job. 400 grams will wax about 200 sets of skis! It's also approved for air travel.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As long as you are happy, and having fun, it's all good.
I still say the FFC at $0.27 per gram is a slam! 54 cents for a wax job. 400 grams will wax about 200 sets of skis! It's also approved for air travel.
That's pretty good pricing! I may have to at least experiment, try it and see how it works. I'm always open to trying new techniques. Thanks for the breakdown! I'll need guidance on how to keep it Thin. :beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
my Toko Universal wax (32 to -22 F) @ approx $30 (240gm to do more skis than I can count)
You’re paying way too much it turns out!

$60 for 1,250gms or $105 for 2,500 gms now that’s cheap!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You’re paying way too much it turns out!

$60 for 1,250gms or $105 for 2,500 gms now that’s cheap!
Probably! LOL ...... I think I got it all in bulk (LOTS OF IT!) from Amazon... or was it Tognar??... years ago! The price I quoted was the "normal per pkg" Google search price. Based on @Jacques $breakdown and the reviews I'm thinking I'll try the Dominator wax and give it a spin. I'm assuming I can use Dominator for nordic also? :beercheer:

Jacques

Skier
That's pretty good pricing! I may have to at least experiment, try it and see how it works. I'm always open to trying new techniques. Thanks for the breakdown! I'll need guidance on how to keep it Thin. :beercheer:
Try it out. In my video, I probably applied more than needed. It's like putting wax on a car.
If you apply too thick, it takes longer than 30 minutes to cure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well....was ready to pull the trigger on both temp range Dominator 400g pastes but one is out of stock. Next season, methinks.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's also approved for air travel.
I was wondering about this. Flying on Saturday and was considering taking a can but did want to have to toss it if TSA flagged it.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Don't they dry out?
That's an excellent question.

I usually buy wax in the largest size possible since it's so much cheaper (though that resulted in me having massive stockpiles of LF and HF waxes from back in the day LOL).

I'd be curious about Dominator pastes over time. With the Holmenkol liquids it seems the cap seals very well. They seem to come for consumers in just once size except for an extra large version of the base-level red.

Jacques

Skier

View attachment 228248
Watch the vid! You can use the +10 button to speed it up. You’ll learn about waxing the satellite dish and the snow blower with paste!

@Jacques - Have you heard anything from Dominator about base prep with FFC hot wax vs Renew hot wax vs FFC paste wax?

It’s interesting that for base prepping newly stone ground skis they recommend putting Psycho (cold) new snow paste along the edge. Certainly easier than cold hot wax.

Not really. The FFC base prep hot wax is very similar to the Base Renew waxes. Either one will do.
When it comes to base prep, I still use hot waxes. I have heard that the FFC 1 prep. paste is an excellent cleaner for the bases.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really. The FFC base prep hot wax is very similar to the Base Renew waxes. Either one will do.
When it comes to base prep, I still use hot waxes. I have heard that the FFC 1 prep. paste is an excellent cleaner for the bases.
What is the closest one to a Universal wax for everyday skiing? I'm confused (not hard to do!) :) is Dominator rub on paste, or hotwax?

Jacques

Skier
What is the closest one to a Universal wax for everyday skiing? I'm confused (not hard to do!) :) is Dominator rub on paste, or hotwax?
The broadest range would be the FFC 2B. It comes as a hot wax, or paste. Go paste, no waste! No heat into ski is the deal now. Or at least only sometimes for prep. and that's a low heat!

James

Out There
Instructor
I mean the idea that the Toko Universal goes down to -22F is dubious at best. When I use a universal like Swix F4 or Dominator Zoom, it’s supplemented by a cold wax for real cold. Then warm too.

Sponsor

Staff online