• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there such a thing as brushing too much?

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
I have read through the Toko what to use, when and why... but would like to confirm what is considered too much brushing? If there is even such a thing as it has been mentioned that "you can't brush enough." I would assume that when there isn't any more wax dust coming out of the base that is a good thing, correct? With some experimentation with different brushes and waxes, it takes a while and significant elbow grease to get to the "no more dust" point. Would hate to overdo it. And yes, I am only using swix and beast hand brushes, no rotary.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like everything, there is a diminishing return on investment. So, yes to the question, but as in wasting your time and energy.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As I'm sure a lot of people have discovered recently, rain-drenched new snow takes one hell of a lot more brushing than old granular snow that's been warm for a week.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why are you brushing the snow???

Is this the how too clear your driveway thread?!?!?!

:margarita:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I have read through the Toko what to use, when and why... but would like to confirm what is considered too much brushing? If there is even such a thing as it has been mentioned that "you can't brush enough." I would assume that when there isn't any more wax dust coming out of the base that is a good thing, correct? With some experimentation with different brushes and waxes, it takes a while and significant elbow grease to get to the "no more dust" point. Would hate to overdo it. And yes, I am only using swix and beast hand brushes, no rotary.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It can actually be "too much brushing". With hand brushes it's not possible, it just doesn't make much more difference. But with roto brushes you can actually overdo it and has negative effect on skis. Not really easily but it can be done.

Jacques

Skier
Instead of wasting your time brushing, waste your time watching Jacques in an unedited stream of conscience video!!!

(mostly kidding Jacques, I love you man.)
You are awesome!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
W/ 20+ pairs of skis to manage, that awesome Q&P video is right up my alley... only he's doing too much work w/ scraping bec that stuff all needs to be cleaned. The "shop towel" technique shaves off a ton of time and headache. Wifey don't like wax shavings on her floors! Ha ha ha I only scrape when I'm in somebody else's shop and they manage cleaning it up. :beercheer:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ go to paste.

I'll second that for the Dominator paste waxes. Still need to brush, but no scrape and almost zero waste!
I've looked into Dominator Universal paste wax in the past and just did a quick Google search and they remain far above my budget. I have loads of cheap Toko Universal wax and mixed w/ some Zardoz ends up being super cheap per ski as compared to paste. According to my research, 100g of paste does 6-8 pairs of skis for ~ $40..... I can do the same amt for ~ $17 and glide as fast as my Pozer Azz needs! :beercheer:

Jacques

Skier
I've looked into Dominator Universal paste wax in the past and just did a quick Google search and they remain far above my budget. I have loads of cheap Toko Universal wax and mixed w/ some Zardoz ends up being super cheap per ski as compared to paste. According to my research, 100g of paste does 6-8 pairs of skis for ~ $40..... I can do the same amt for ~ $17 and glide as fast as my Pozer Azz needs! :beercheer:
It takes maximum 1 gram per ski. As you learn to use it, less than. There is almost zero waste. Much time saved compared to iron waxing. Plus it hauls the mail.
BTW, I'm never came across any universal paste from them, and I've been using Dominator for over 25 years.
Maybe you speak of the old Hyper Zoom paste, so I guess that would be a universal. So yea, maybe. Even those waxes have a temperature range.
The FFC paste when bought at the 400 gram can size is like 0.27 cents per gram.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It can actually be "too much brushing". With hand brushes it's not possible, it just doesn't make much more difference. But with roto brushes you can actually overdo it and has negative effect on skis. Not really easily but it can be done.

OP there is your definitive answer from an true-to-life authority on the matter. :ogbiggrin:

I've looked into Dominator Universal paste wax in the past and just did a quick Google search and they remain far above my budget.

Yup. Dominator Paste looks like the schizzle, but holy $$$!

At Tognar it’s $0.25 per gram.
Pays to buy the big size.

I wish that made the cut to their "Midwinter Deep Sale" or whatever section.

EDIT: @Jacques keeps touting how little of this is needed, but the instructions say "Apply a thick layer....." :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
I wish that made the cut to their "Midwinter Deep Sale" or whatever section.

EDIT: @Jacques keeps touting how little of this is needed, but the instructions say "Apply a thick layer....." :huh:
You’re reading the base prep instructions. For the glide waxes they recommend a thin layer.

IMG_1919.jpeg

Watch the vid! You can use the +10 button to speed it up. You’ll learn about waxing the satellite dish and the snow blower with paste!

This is a long video! If you want to know, don't skip one second. I cover application, cost breakdown, and much more!
@Jacques - Have you heard anything from Dominator about base prep with FFC hot wax vs Renew hot wax vs FFC paste wax?

It’s interesting that for base prepping newly stone ground skis they recommend putting Psycho (cold) new snow paste along the edge. Certainly easier than cold hot wax.

Sponsor