• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Insulated ski jacket, or shell?

Shell or insulated jacket?

• Shell

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • Insulated jacket

Votes: 26 32.9%

• Total voters

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have used a shell the past 15 years. This is good to temperatures in the teens (deg F) with some layers. Single digit F and lower and I will need to go inside periodically. I dress so that I am cold on the lift since I get pretty warm once I start skiing. If I get too hot, my feet swell and the boots get very uncomfortable. So skiing while warm is not possible - I err on the side of being too cold instead. It's easy for me to warm up by just skiing harder/more. Any problem that is solved by skiing more is ideal to me :)

The best 'knobs' I have to turn for clothing on mountain:
- Zippers in jacket/pants
- Helmet vent
- Balaclava

I ski primarily in CO or UT. My metabolism is pretty high, so that's definitely a factor. If I ski with a group that likes to stand and chat a lot (lessons, wife), I tend to get colder. I will wear extra on those days.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like others, for the northeast an insulated jacket for the cold days. Most of us also have a shell that we can wear as an everyday jacket for kids' fall and spring soccer games, more aerobic winter activities, going to the grocery store, or warmer ski days.

I went many winters with only a shell but now would not give up my insulated jacket.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
A shell, shell pants, light base layer and light fleece is all I need on everything but the coldest days. I have warmer base layers I will sometimes double up with my thinner ones and a warmer fleece for those days. Last season at Sugarbush, however, I was wishing for insulated pants when I got stuck on a stopped lift in windy single digits.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A shell, shell pants, light base layer and light fleece is all I need on everything but the coldest days. I have warmer base layers I will sometimes double up with my thinner ones and a warmer fleece for those days. Last season at Sugarbush, however, I was wishing for insulated pants when I got stuck on a stopped lift in windy single digits.

That's how I was until I tried an insulated jacket. On very cold days I now range from warm to chilly rather than chilly to cold.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was a shell guy for many years, but like you, got tired of doing the "dance" dealing with multiple layers. I like a lightly insulated jacket now and I'll add a layer if it's brutally cold.

I find the jackets I use with no additional layers are actually less bulky and more comfortable than what I used to have to do with shells and insulating layers.
This. I used to have a great Mountain Hardware shell, but I was always faffing with base and mid layers, not to mention all the adjustment cords. I now have a ski specific mid weight Millet insulated jacket with big diagonal vents, works great with a light merino long underwear top and simple fleece pullover. If it’s warm just ditch the fleece and if really cold I’ll use heat base layer.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I used to swear by insulated jackets. Then I woke up and smelled the rose that is layering.
I must be losing my sense of smell, because I'm starting to not hate insulated jackets any more.

But I will never use insulated pants. Made that mistake once.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I ski in New England - VT/NH/ME.

Shell jacket and shell pants with layers is my usual. Single/negative F degrees brings out the insulated jacket (TNF Point it Down Steep Series) and insulated pants that I then put the layers underneath.

I don’t actually find the insulated jacket + layers much warmer than my layered-up Patagonia or Flylow hard shells. Perhaps the shells are more windproof? My insulated jacket does have windstopper technology though. Maybe I need a different insulated jacket?! Enable me, lol.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I ski in New England - VT/NH/ME.
I don’t actually find the insulated jacket + layers much warmer than my layered-up Patagonia or Flylow hard shells. Perhaps the shells are more windproof? My insulated jacket does have windstopper technology though. Maybe I need a different insulated jacket?! Enable me, lol.

KARBON Level 4 (down) - Warmer than Obermeyer, warmer than Descente. I've used it down to -25F at MSA and Tremblant.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You need a 'it depends' option.

I frequently will wear an insulated coat, but on warmer days or BC days, I wear a shell.

The regular insulated jacket is medium weight/thickness. Some days I wear a big puffy. I also have an insulated duster for days I'm standing around officiating. It is big enough to over the puffy, and sometimes it does.

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
Ski in VT primarily, and always in a shell. Even in the coldest temps I can layer it appropriately. I also run hot, so that my be part of why it works for me.
I do wear insulated pants when its really cold (below zero).

Dan P

Booting up
Skier
Light insulated jacket for some days....shell and layers other times. I like having many options....gear geek.

I searched this off-season for the grail and think I may have found it....Haglofs Roc Summit Jacket...I found new for $299 ($700+ sticker) on a site which shall remain nameless. Have only used it a few times but I think I’m in love. I also use shells and layer and really like that gear too. I am just extra jazzed about finding a warm, light, super tech, NOT AT ALL bulky insulated jacket. If you are a “shell” person who is thinking about going insulated it’s worth a look IMO.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Helly makes some great stuff.
This one has just the right level of insulation for me on cold days. I strictly wore shells and layers for years, but I confess that I wore this jacket a lot last year.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer a shell or vest with whatever I need under it. However, if it's going to be really cold (below 15° or so) I don't mind a coat.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I found this older thread because I saw a new take on an older type jacket. The 3 in 1 jacket has fallen out of favor, maybe because it is difficult to slide your arms in and out of the full ripped option especially if you are using a quarter zip fleece for a mid layer. So I was on the Eddie Bauer website and saw that they no longer use a fleece for the inside rip in liner. They have issued a new 3 in 1 using a down sweater as a zip in layer to make up the 3 in 1 jacket and since the mid layer is now a nylon, you can slide in and out of the sleeves without any issue. Kind of neat if you ask me, but I have been using a down sweater for years inside my shell.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
When I lived on the front range I had an insulated jacket. Now I prefer the flexibility of a shell and whatever underlayers are necessary.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Shell at Killington has been the call with the mild winter we have seen. Close the shell pit vents on those days when I feel my core temp dropping. Last Wednesday was a perfect shorts day.

Disclaimer - Viking/polar bear Dna.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty much always shell. Just gets too hot for me in insulated jackets. I do own insulated jackets though and if its cold and I know I'll be staying in the beginners area with my youngest I sometimes choose insulated (and almost always regret it... lugging kids around is almost as intense as skiing full on).

Sponsor

Staff online