• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Insulated ski jacket, or shell?

Shell or insulated jacket?

• Shell

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • Insulated jacket

Votes: 26 32.9%

• Total voters

oboe

Booting up
Skier
I’m doing an informal survey: Do you ski in an insulated ski jacket, or do you ski in an uninsulated shell and supply your own layers of insulation? What’s your usual practice?

As a ski instructor, I'm always in a shell, because the uniforms are shells. When I free ski, I remove the uniform and put on my own shell. I supply whatever insulating layer or layers are needed for the conditions prevailing at the time. However, it is somewhat of a bother when free skiing to come into the lodge and start removing layers. I'm thinking that an insulated jacket may be just the ticket for skiing on days off or on vacation - then I can be warm enough in colder weather and have only the insulated jacket to remove when going into the lodge for lunch, rest, whatever.

What's your practice? Why? What thoughts can you share on this subject?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m doing an informal survey: Do you ski in an insulated ski jacket, or do you ski in an uninsulated shell and supply your own layers of insulation? What’s your usual practice?

As a ski instructor, I'm always in a shell, because the uniforms are shells. When I free ski, I remove the uniform and put on my own shell. I supply whatever insulating layer or layers are needed for the conditions prevailing at the time. However, it is somewhat of a bother when free skiing to come into the lodge and start removing layers. I'm thinking that an insulated jacket may be just the ticket for skiing on days off or on vacation - then I can be warm enough in colder weather and have only the insulated jacket to remove when going into the lodge for lunch, rest, whatever.

Shell. I ski from October to June. An insulated Ski Jacket would only be useful to me on the coldest days mid-winter at the resorts. I have one but rarely use it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have an insulated jacket that I like to use when its cold out, but for days when I know it may be wetter conditions or I may need to shed a layer, I wear my shell and mid layer.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Cost is always the biggest factor for me. So an insulated ski jacket is my baseline gear. But I have a lightweight soft shell and insulated mid layer combo that breathes much better for warmer days.

Bomber hard shells and quality midlayers are expensive. I have been able to find value and versatility at lower costs.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shell. I ski from October to June. An insulated Ski Jacket would only be useful to me on the coldest days mid-winter at the resorts. I have one but rarely use it.

Ditto-I’m a shell guy. I use varying layering depending on the temps. With an insulated jacket I’d be too warm in most temperatures.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I have an insulated jacket that is not super bulky. On most days in Utah it’s perfect. Occasionally I’ll open the vents if it gets warm, or I’ll throw a pullover on before the jacket if it’s cold.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
I get cold easily so generally wear insulated ski pants, insulated jacket and shell over that - at lunch I'll just take off the shell and jacket together.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Both - depending on the where and the when of it. I generally prefer lightly insulated waterproof jackets because they work in all but the warmest of conditions. I'm wearing an OR lightly insulated jacket in my avatar. I can add varying types of base and mid layers as needed or just wear a t-shirt for most of our winter in SoCal. I have everything from light shell to super insulated jackets in my repertoire though.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing NE, insulated jacket when it is cold. Otherwise shell. Mostly it is cold.
On the trip out west, I carry 4 to 6 shells and 1 insulated jacket. The insulated jacket get anywhere from 1 to 5 days when it is brutally cold. I generally like to ski in a puffy when it is dry and in the 20's F. A double up puffy will get me down to 0℉, if dry. The shells get out to play when it is snowing or wet.

My avatar is a light puffy on a 8" blue bird powder day at Snowbird. Don't need much.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I fall too much to wear just a puffy. But I don't have an otherwise insulated jacket and use a shell with a puffy under it....

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@oboe - where do you ski?

I ski primarily in Tahoe, so wear a shell (I have a few) and adjust my midlayers based on the weather. I also wear shell pants usually just with a pair of Icebreakers.

But if I skied VT (where I learned to ski), I'd likely be in an insulated jacket and pants.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear an insulated jacket and give up the sweather and/or wear a lighter shirt when it is warm in the spring.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I ski in an insulated jacket and supply my own additional layers of insulation depending on the temperature.

My free-skiing jacket is a Mountain Hardware jacket with 40,000/40,000 waterproof/breathability. It's pretty warm, and not too warm for most spring ski days. Warm days I wear a light base layer under it and that's all, -40 degree days, I have thick base layer, fleece mid-layer and down vest under it. Only on very warm days if I'm working hard in moguls will I need to undo the zipper.

My insulated patrol jacket is Avalanche, and is not as warm, I'm not sure how breathable it is, but it has pit zips that do the job.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I was a shell guy for many years, but like you, got tired of doing the "dance" dealing with multiple layers. I like a lightly insulated jacket now and I'll add a layer if it's brutally cold.

I find the jackets I use with no additional layers are actually less bulky and more comfortable than what I used to have to do with shells and insulating layers.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a Vermont skier, an insulated jacket works for me. My trips to the Rockies are in February, so an insulated jacket still works. My last two jackets have been Columbia interchanges, so the insulated lining zips out. So maybe I should say both!

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shell for my skiing, insulated jacket for my uni. I MUCH prefer my shell. I have two different ones; one for light duty, and one for everything else. I understand exactly what layers to wear for a forecast temp, plus, with high quality layers I have a very wide comfort range with that setup.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I own both, but if forced to choose one would always be a shell with a loose fit. You can always make the shell warmer with more layer but can not make a insulated shell cooler if already have minimum base layers underneath. I dont get how owning both is a bad thing.

Vail's Insulated uniform is literally the worst thing about working for them. It insane wearing that jacket when its over about 25 degrees F and sunny.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail's Insulated uniform is literally the worst thing about working for them.
This is definitely NOT my favorite piece of gear. Way hard to layer well. That said, when it is stupid cold out, that extra layer of insulation isn't a bad thing.

Sponsor

Staff online