• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Insulated ski jacket, or shell?

Shell or insulated jacket?

• Shell

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • Insulated jacket

Votes: 26 32.9%

• Total voters

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
except you could always put more insulation under a shell but can not take it away when its the only outer layer

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I think in all the years I've been skiing only my trip to France that I got away with a shell and layers. And maybe 1 day in the spring...

I will say that I have different levels of insulation in jackets.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
My primary ski area is in Maine, so I have an insulated ski jacket and pants.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
While there are quite cold days on the mountain here in the PNW, I usually stick with shells and layers for temps down to the low teens.

For really really cold days (single digits or worse with brutal wind chill) I have a well insulated bib & jacket setup - but I rarely use it. I hate the added bulk. Plus, if I gear up with that kit & the weather later ends up transitioning to above the mid 20s then I will often end up overheating while skiing - even with all the vents & jacket zipped open.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually sometime around mid April, I switch to a inexpensive hoody sweatshirt as my choice in outer wear.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use shells and insulated coats depending on the weather. I have a lightly insulated coat and a down coat and a couple of shells. All the coats have breathable outer shells and pit zips. The down is used for below 0F and wind. I also have a mix of insulated pants and shell pants.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have skied in my Patagonia DAS parka (very warm insulated ‘puffy’ parka) a few times at home in Minnesota when it was really cold. If your shell jackets have a halfway decent fit there is a point where it becomes unpleasant to add more insulation underneath. However, I have never encountered those temperatures skiing in Colorado and Utah. Much more often I am struggling with not getting to warm when it’s wet snow and you want to keep things zipped up.

So absolutely, a single garment is more convenient to take on and off, and sometimes more comfortable. But, a shell and separate insulation layers is far more versatile for a changing conditions during the day , let alone during a weeklong trip.

So the poll needs to be more specific: Is it for day skiing? 2 week trip? Do you run hot and ski moguls and trees? Or are you ripping Blue groomers above treeline? Etc, etc.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a shell over a mid-layer, of which the choice depends on weather/temperature.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Ski school rig was always a shell which I usually ditched for a Descente shorty jacket free skiing. Rocked that for 10 years until the shiny Descente look finally went retro.Still have it praying they come back. :)

Last 20 years tho has been Karbon insulated jacket x2 and recently the bottom of the line Spyder jacket which is still real comfy.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As someone that besides skiing over decades is out hiking and backpacking, I have a lot of outdoor clothing. Layering with a shell has a lot of flexibility advantages in most circumstances while a single good insulated hooded ski parka can be more functional in some cold conditions. I prefer to wear my Salomon ski parka on cold days even when I could use a shell with layering because the expensive parka has some ski specific features like two small breast pockets for my pass, tiny digital camera, and MP3 player, and a key pocket with lanyard. Also an internal whistle pocket, powder skirt, and more. Excess layering can result in less flexibility while a high end jacket can be designed for movement. When temperatures are more moderate I have 3 different shell systems I might adapt with different layers and note I tend to have a lot of clothing and gear in my Forester to work with.

When backpacking in the High Sierra during stormy cold mornings I wore as many as 5 thin layers at once this summer, 3 of which were water or wind proof.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Low single digits this AM. Wish that I had my insulated jacket. Two baselayers, puffy, and shell was not enough.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m doing an informal survey: Do you ski in an insulated ski jacket, or do you ski in an uninsulated shell and supply your own layers of insulation? What’s your usual practice?

As a ski instructor, I'm always in a shell, because the uniforms are shells. When I free ski, I remove the uniform and put on my own shell. I supply whatever insulating layer or layers are needed for the conditions prevailing at the time. However, it is somewhat of a bother when free skiing to come into the lodge and start removing layers. I'm thinking that an insulated jacket may be just the ticket for skiing on days off or on vacation - then I can be warm enough in colder weather and have only the insulated jacket to remove when going into the lodge for lunch, rest, whatever.

What's your practice? Why? What thoughts can you share on this subject?
I wear an insulated jacket with a single mid-weight layer beneath. I manage changing temps by adjusting how open I keep the collar along with a thin cap beneath my helmet. Jacket can feel heavy though so I have been giving more thought to a shell and layering strategy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I have a single-layer Gore-tex Pro shell, a lightly insulated shell and a heavy insulated jacket
The heavy jacket mostly gets worn in Hokkaido in Jan & early Feb
The lightly insulated shell has become my go-to most other times, with combinations of varying-weight base layers, Polartec or fleece zip-ups, thin down vest, heavy down vest, fluffy fleece jacket, thin down jacket, neck warmers, scarves, bandanas, etc
The Gore-tex Pro shell (most expensive of the three!) has pretty much been relegated to the closet as it's (1) far too big for me anyway, and (2) pretty stiff and crinkly -- an impulse buy I've come to regret :nono:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
100% shell.

I have not used an insulated ski parka in 20 years and have skied some pretty cold temps. I do like a roomy shell though. On below zero days I probably have a couple of base layers a light fleece pullover, a Pearl Izumi fleece vest that is one of my favorite layers and my Patagonia down puffy. On warm days i might just have a t-shirt and my shell.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
In the jacket vs. shell debate, it's not just about convenience vs. flexibility. Skiers will spend a ton on a high-end technical shell and then screw up the layering, thus defeating the breathability of their shell. Don't skimp on the remaining layers and you have to get the fit right, for multiple pieces, to make it all work well together as a system.

This is the advantage of the jacket; the manufacturer has already thought through how the added insulation layer will work the the final jacket. It was designed as a whole and thus can often work better than a haphazardly put together set of layers.

The jacket is the no-brainer, while the shell requires some careful execution to get it right. The high-end Descente jacket in my avatar has provided much more comfort, convenience, and temperature control than any of the Patagonia, Arcteryx, or Mountain Hardwear shells that I own.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm new to the shell area but that's what I started doing a couple years ago. I mostly ski southern Vermont and then eastern Canada 1x a year in mid January. I mostly do a shell and layer as needed. I have a thick snowboard jacket with a built in liner that I call my Canada jacket. I ski with this whenever I ski Quebec and on very frigid days in Vermont. This jacket doesn't get a lot of use though because even though I ski some very cold temps, I run warm and my shell with layers is more than enough for me just about all the time.

Sponsor