• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It's coming along, but no where near ready for prime time. I've started strengthening, but it is pretty pathetic -- I'm allowed to ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes at a very low resistance level. The shoulder is improving, I can lift my arm over my head, but I have no strength in external rotation. I will get to start strengthening the shoulder tomorrow, one month after the accident.

So, it looks like you'll behave, do your homework and fully recover for next season?

:beercheer:

Good deal Mike! Please take care of it until it's 100% back!

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The plan is not only to recover, but to really work on my conditioning so that I start the season super strong and ready to go for my level 3 certification. It's a challenge, even more so when you are in your 60s...

Mike

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So... you can make a workers comp claim for something that happened in training? Here in Stowe (and I assume all other Vail Resorts) we’d be SOL. Do you guys get paid during training? Ski in uniform? Inquiring minds want to know!

So sorry to hear about this, Mike. Heal well, and thoroughly, and fast. I'm looking forward to your MA posts.

I've had workmen's comp cover a season-ending accident that happened while I was in a training session. I was in the jacket, followed by a trainer shouting orders at me, but I was not getting paid as training at that mountain is never paid. Workmen's comp was assumed and not an issue. This was New Hampshire.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Thanks for inquiring @Kneale Brownson. The knee is still not 100%, but most likely never will be. I was able to go on a hiking trip in Ireland and did ok.

The shoulder, on the other hand, is still a problem. After 5 months of not being able to gain strength in external rotation and the first 15 degrees of flexion, I had an EMG study done, and it appears I have an entrapped nerve that results in no nerve connection to certain muscles around the scapula. So, surgery on Wednesday. Hopefully this will fix the problem, but there's no guarantee.

Mike

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Neurological surgery to fix the nerve? Good luck with that, Mike. Takes a lot of patience to rehab a shoulder. BTDT Xs2.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Thanks, LF. I hope to. My 40-year pin disappeared, so I couldn't wear it last season. Didn't want to buy another because I knew this one was coming.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Best wishes for full and fast healing, Mike.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for inquiring @Kneale Brownson. The knee is still not 100%, but most likely never will be. I was able to go on a hiking trip in Ireland and did ok.

The shoulder, on the other hand, is still a problem. After 5 months of not being able to gain strength in external rotation and the first 15 degrees of flexion, I had an EMG study done, and it appears I have an entrapped nerve that results in no nerve connection to certain muscles around the scapula. So, surgery on Wednesday. Hopefully this will fix the problem, but there's no guarantee.

Mike
:crossfingers:

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Surgery was ok. I'm now recovering and pleased that there's not much pain unless I do something I'm not supposed to (reach, for example). I'm planning on hitting the gym this morning for some light cardio.

Unfortunately, I won't know if there's any success for months. The nerve has to regenerate 2.5 inches to the first muscle and nearly 5 inches to the second. It evidently goes at about 1 mm per day, so it will be 2-5 months before we know if this fixed things or was unsuccessful.

A waiting game.

Mike

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
One'month update on the surgery and half a year on the rest, Mike? Hope you're doing much better now.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It's a waiting game on the shoulder. It's been tough the last 6 weeks doing basically nothing while waiting for the release to do something with the shoulder. Should happen next week. I'm working on leg conditioning at the moment. Hopefully I can get up to speed shortly.

Thanks for asking!

Mike

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The knee is definitely progressing well. I'm quite happy with it's progress. The shoulder is slow as the doctor said it would be. External rotation is still quite weak (but better than it was) and the first few degrees of shoulder flexion are as well. I'm working on scapular stability. I'm optimistic, even if it is still a bit early to expect much improvement.

Thanks for asking!

Mike

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Glad to hear there's progress, Mike. Helps you feel hopeful.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm curious as to how these things work - have the med bills been picked up on SkiCo insurance or did your insurer have to claim of fthe lady who hit you (who presumably had the same employment insurance with 3rd party liability).

Sponsor